Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
If anyone were to honestly think that x-drive is as good as the latest quattro with sportdiff then they are completely off their trolley. They are a world apart when driven to their potential.

Now if you buy the 535xi over the A6 3.0T because it's cheaper then that is fine, but don't think for one minute it's somehow better value because the reality is that it's cheaper due to it being an inferior product.
Seriously dude, calm down and get off the high horse.
Neither Audi nor BMW are perfect, and pretending so is not useful or enlightening for anyone.
We all appreciate these great cars and there's no reason for this to turn into a flame war.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by R8-opie
Seriously dude, calm down and get off the high horse.
Neither Audi nor BMW are perfect, and pretending so is not useful or enlightening for anyone.
We all appreciate these great cars and there's no reason for this to turn into a flame war.
No flame war, just a reality check for those highlighting that they got a 535xi for less, there's a perfectly good reason for this which is what I stated. The A6 3.0T is quicker, handles better, is built better and is more exclusive, all reasons why it should be a bit more expensive and its not like the price difference is huge anyway.

The 5 series is a good car and the A6 isn't the best ever car, we all know that but it is better than the Beemer and it's worth the difference which was my point.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have spent a good deal of time driving these two cars in the last few weeks. They are both great cars, and to be honest there is something to like from each. To pretend otherwise is just dishonest. My own feeling is that the A6 has a superior engine, better acceleration, smoother transmission, tighter handling (tighter than the non sport 535, and a more intuitive interior layout and electronics. The 535 had better steering feel, far better seats ("comfort seats" are incredible)and a non flip up navigation. In addition BMW leasing uses higher residuals and lower lease rates. At the end of the day both good cars. I think you just weigh out all the factors and make the decision that works for you. I am in this position right now and although I am 90% towards the a6, the less expensive BMW with the comfort seats is distracting me.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with your decision. You cannot go wrong with either vehicle. My legs are too long for the BMW as my kneecap rests on the console edge. The turbo lag on the BMW drove me crazy ! I prefer the MMI to the iDrive. I find the value of the A6 superior to any car in this class. Yes, there are a few things I would ship to the US from the European models, but those are minor. I like the A6 and will 'chip' it as soon as one comes available in the US (or my German friends can ship it to me)... now if I can only bypass the speed limiter :-)
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Petero1818
The 535 had better steering feel,
I think the key word here is had. The Bangle 5 series did have better steering feel, but I dont know about this new BMW electric steering, it even more isolated than Audi's.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agree and Well said !!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Anandhan
Agree and Well said !!
Well I was actually agreeing with basf_audio ! This discussion is very well along with the lines of whether the B&O sound system is better than the Bose. Personally I felt that the Audi drove better than the BMW and the B&O system is superior to Bose but then a lot of people will feel otherwise. i guess it all waters down to personal taste and preference ! I have a simple rule "The car i drive is the best car in the planet until I get another one !!! "
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM
RSP
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Audi Loyalty Incentive

Just to be clear. The current Audi Loyalty Incentive to purchase a 2012 A6 or A7 is $2,000. I do not know what the incentive is to lease one, but $1,000 may be accurate.

RSP

[QUOTE=Art234;24162680]I was told the Audi loyalty money is $1000 on the A6. But that said, I picked up $1000 from BMW from doing their Drive for Team USA event last weekend.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2012 A6 on order - Prestige, Innovation and 20" Sport package
MSRP: $66,230
BMW 535Xi similarly kitted out.....
(Drum Roll)
MSRP: $73,300 (without night vision assistant which not available without the cold weather package - not needed in TX)

I'll take the A6 and the $7,000 thanks very much
Old 11-21-2011, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

The biggest difference you will ever notice about these two is how much heavier the Beemer feels on its feet compared to the A6 which feels positively feather weight after driving the former. The 535 isn't the sporty saloon of years gone by its a big heavy luxury car with little of the poise that enthusiasts raved about.

Beautifully built, lovely to look it and very refined but a shadow of its former self IMO.

Quick Reply: A6 vs 535xi--Objective Test Drive-and My Dilemma