Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 MY12, Passenger seat back plastic cover fell + Rear view mirror trim broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 MY12, Passenger seat back plastic cover fell + Rear view mirror trim broke

Hi All,

I have an A6 MY12 and it reached 54000 miles in 3.5 years so far (it is out of warranty). Yesterday afternoon, my passenger seat back plastic cover fell while I was driving normally (pics 1 and 2). I had a look at it and it does not seem to be any broken clips there, and the plastic seat cover is assembled by gluing it to the white piece at the top. The temperature was around 115f outside which I think has loosen the glue. Did this happen to anyone? and did you fix it? I did not take it to the dealer yet as I cannot part with my car this week.

Additionally in last month, the Rear view mirror plastic trim broke and fell (pics 3,4 and 5) when I hit a pothole in the street. I tried installing it back and also tried gluing it but that did not work as it falls within a day or two. I took it to the dealer who quoted me $800 to replace the whole rear view mirror assembly, as the plastic trim is not sold separately. Has anyone faced a similar issue?
Attached Images      
Old 08-11-2015, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are your kids playing Ice hockey inside your car??

Last edited by Hulamau; 08-11-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

You might try some good, double sided tape on the seat back. The kind used for external trim such as vent visors or door protection moldings. I have no clue on the mirror, but you might check with an after market stereo installer. Those guys have some really neat tricks for customizing plastic around the dash and speaker grills.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The mirror housing should just snap back on.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

If I read this diagram AUDI A6/S6 QUATTRO [A6Q] (USA) 2013: BODY: 85740. INTERIOR/EXTERIOR MIRROR correctly the cover for the mirror has a unique part number so it should be possible to order it
Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I would be tempted to use velcro on that seat. I might want to get in there in the future.

If I was going to have someone fix it, I would go to any collision shop. They have heavy duty double sided tape that holds exterior trim on.

Here's a eBay listing that shows and explains the tape.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Performance-Automotive-Trim-VHB-3M-Tape-9-Roll-/220839453339?hash=item336b0ea29b&vxp=mtr
Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I would take it to a good body shop and see if they can fabricate some attachment method with hidden clips or even visible but unobtrusive screws, and do it for each front seat back. If the passenger side came off, maybe the driver’s side will soon as well. As tenspeed said, having this cover removable will be useful if you have to replace any of the components we can see in the photos further down the road.
Now that you are out of warranty you can do “non-Audi approved” things IMO. I lease, so if anything happens it is in to the dealer, but if I owned at 54K miles it would be time to think outside the box and be creative. The damned seat looks like someone opened up a cyborg – yikes!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys for your replies. Regarding the mirror, there is a tiny clip in the cover that looks broken, that is why I could not snap it back.

@John Simcox: you seem to be right, the part I am looking for is 4G89072994PK. It is only $39 so I will order it and see if it fixes my issue.

Regarding the seats, I went to the dealer today to show him the issue. He said that the seat backs are installed using glue from the factory. There are no clips in the installation. Strangely, the driver seat back cover became loose as well. The dealer asked for $200 to fix both seats and he will use the same glue that Audi uses in installation of seat backs, and that it will be done within the same day. I told him I will think about it. I might try the the double sided tape but I am tempted to go to the dealer and get a permanent/professional fix, although the asked price is kinda ridiculous for this job.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just out of curiosity, do you live where it is particularly hot? I had a black BMW for a few years and every summer I had to take it into the shop to have the window molding replaced because the glue they used to attach it would melt. When I had a land rover, I had to have a special strip screwed around the dash material because the heat warped it causeing it to come unattached. Every time something comes undone in the summer, I assume it's heat related unless it is obviously a broken clip.

I now have a garage, spent the money for Crystalline tint, and park in a garage at work so have had no issues with my Audi, but I still hate leaving my car out on a surface lot for an extended amout of time during the summer because I am scared it is going to melt.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Totti808
The dealer asked for $200 to fix both seats and he will use the same glue that Audi uses in installation of seat backs, and that it will be done within the same day. I told him I will think about it.
Such a deal. Only $200 to fix the seats using the same inferior glue that the factory used...

What kind of seats do you have? I see gray two tone with red stitching. That's not standard in North America. How about some interior pictures and a couple of the equipment inside the seat back. Thanks!

Quick Reply: A6 MY12, Passenger seat back plastic cover fell + Rear view mirror trim broke