Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 first drive - what's with the throttle lag and the steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't tell you about the TDI you're driving, but it certainly has a turbo which is more susceptible to lag than the 3.0T which is supercharged. I suspect that most of the people who got the TDI got it for better mileage and aren't pushing theirs as hard as you are.

Regardless, there is a serious difference in the power delivery between a 3.0 diesel and your 4.2 V8 -- so you would expect it to behave differently.

I haven't seen anyone before talking about lag, only a difference in the feel of power delivery. If I'm not mistaken, the latest review by Car & Driver/Motor Trend (?) places the 0-60 time of the 2015 diesel a tenth or so faster than the gas (but loses at higher speeds). That doesn't mean it might not hesitate slightly as the turbo spins up.

Personally, I'd be tempted to drive another TDI before a final conclusion (who knows whether there's just a tuning issue with this one that no one notices because of its duty as a loaner).
Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll second that motion. There's something wrong if the A6 TDI lags for more than a tenth of a second. Sometimes you feel it, sometimes it's unnoticeable depending on how hard you hit it. The TDI isn't going to feel the same as your V8 but it shouldn't be as different as you are experiencing. Drive another one. Try the 3.0T too. I liked the power delivery and feel of the 3.0T slightly more than the TDI but opted for the TDI because the difference wasn't big enough to matter to me. That's a a personal decision.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I normally drive a 3.0T but recently got a TDI as a loaner. The thing I noticed about it was the prominent turbo lag. After the lag the acceleration felt similar to my 3.0T and felt equivalent in every other way. However compared to the 3.0T the lad was noticeable.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I believe there was an update a few months back for the TDI that addressed some of the lag issues. I drove one when it first came out and noticed some lag off the line.

I just picked up my 14 TDI as a trade from my earlier build 14 2.0 and I asked them to make sure all software updates were applied before I picked it up, which they obliged to do (always better to force that stuff when a sale is on the line - much better bargaining power). 2 things I noticed:

Steering is noticeable better in dynamic mode than my earlier build 14 - much tighter and far less wander. Easier to stay in the lane at high speed. Multiple threads on this topic (software update as well) so won't say any more. Keep in mind what type of tires as well, 20" summer tires will have far better steering response than those 18" Continental marshmallows that are the base tire.

Lag is evident (as any non twin turbo would have) but nowhere near as noticeable as my last test drive and acceptable for me. In no way does it impede my ability to drive - I think this engine is has a fair bit of power not under the added turbo pressure, so for that first split second when the turbo is spooling up, the engine has enough naturally aspirated power to carry it acceptably. I remember an earlier 1999/2000 Mercedes E class diesel my parents had, that engine was a dog until the turbo kicked in - crossing traffic required a hail mary or two before attempting for good measure.

That being the case, you have to try them both and make sure you take note of how they react on the roads and manner in which you will drive it every day. Diesels have a different power delivery, and more TQ than HP. Take a few onramps, few stoplights and few interstate drives to see which one you like better. If you want a car that is basically an S6 lite, that you can throw around corners blasting out at high revs mid corner and drive it like you stole it - 3.0T is probably for you. If you drive to work on an interstate route and just want to have some thrust when you need it on onramps, the occasional stoplight and to overtake - I think you would be fine with the TDI.

Last edited by MCRN; 07-16-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks again for all your valuable insights. I have the loaner until Friday and will talk to my dealer about this. I'll see if they have a 3.0T to drive now.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sap pete - yes, definitely drive the 3.0T and compare the two. People like different things. For me, you may have saw my thread - I just had an A6 TDI loaner yesterday and hated it, slow off the line, sluggish - felt like I was towing a tractor trailer full of elephants behind me. So i was quite happy to return it when my 3.0T was done with service.

As to the steering - yea - it is light on the 2014 models. That is Audi's fix for the wandering issue some had. Luckily for me I have the original steering - much tighter and more fun IMO. I just have to remember to tell the service guys I refuse the steering update each time I am in for service as Audi. I asked them to mark it permanently but they said they can't - Audi doesn't allow it for this update. But they are happy to not do it if I simply tell them each time it is in
Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Diesels work differently than gas engines. If you want all the power, give it all the pedal. They will build up power much faster if you give it everything it has.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

There are numerous countries in the EU that sell more diesels per year than gas powered cars, of course, their motivation in financial but many cars have been touted as excellent diesels, including Audi, Citroen, Peugeot and now Ford.