Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 buying question - 19" sport suspension vs' 20" non sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 buying question - 19" sport suspension vs' 20" non sport suspension

I am going to get an A6 after all and am looking at 2 cars now. Was going to wait on the diesel but seems it will be early next year (or so I am told) before I could get my hands on one.

Both are A6's 2.0T cars, one with 19" Sport Pkg and the other has the 20"s on it with no sport pkg/suspension.

Which one would be better? I don't want paddle shifters as I would never use them and not sure I want the harsh sport suspension anyway.

Opinions?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, all those looks and no replies. I figured you guys would be able to shed some light on this..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

For what it's worth, I just got an A6 a couple of weeks ago. I was choosing between the 20" with Sport Package vs the 20" without Sport Package (I would have preferred 19", but we couldn't find any in the color/options I liked). I went with the non-Sport Package and I'm glad that I did. I get a firm, but not harsh ride. I don't like the more noticeable banking/thunking over expansion joints, manhole covers, etc. that you get with the sport suspension. Potholes still suck with either.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cool thanks for the reply. I am having them dealer trade for the car. Hope they get it within a few days.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some thoughts:

Originally Posted by DSL_PWR
I am going to get an A6 after all and am looking at 2 cars now. Was going to wait on the diesel but seems it will be early next year (or so I am told) before I could get my hands on one.

Both are A6's 2.0T cars, one with 19" Sport Pkg and the other has the 20"s on it with no sport pkg/suspension.

Which one would be better? I don't want paddle shifters as I would never use them and not sure I want the harsh sport suspension anyway.

Opinions?
My 2013 has the 19" Sport Pkg and I am very pleased with the overall performance offered by this package. I went this route primarily for the suspension/handling, as like you I wasn't overly interested in the paddle shifters, and it was the right decision. The car handles very nicely, much better than my C5A6 with sport springs and Koni shocks. It is a firm, tight ride but not harsh in any way. My wife has never once mentioned it to be overly bumpy/harsh.

Not sure where you live, and what the road conditions are like there, but that should factor into your decision, as the reduced sidewall height on the 20" tires will mean less flex and more harshness, along with a risk of more rim damage. So that is another reason I elected the 19" option. I would be hesitant to roll on 20s on bumpy or pothole-strewn streets.

As for paddle shifters - the first couple of weeks I found myself completely forgetting the paddle shifters even existed. After awhile however, it becomes second nature to flick a paddle for a quick two-gear downshift whenever needed. It is a very nice option and I'm happy to have it. With a 2.0T under the hood, you may find you'll use the shifters more than you think.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

After some reading last night and early this morning I am back to decision mode. They have a 2013 loaner with 8k miles on it fully loaded and is a 3.0T that I can pick up. Considering that now. The other deal was going to be walk in, sign papers, swap keys and go. Payment amount, date, etc all stay the same just a new term. If I can do that on this car then I might consider as it has everything. Same color too..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They have a 2013 loaner with 8k miles on it fully loaded and is a 3.0T that I can pick up. Same color too..
If you can negotiate a great price on this vehicle, this could be a great win for you. Also make sure the warranty clock/mileage starts from when you get it.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well they threw a curve at me today when I went in there.

They have a 2012 A6 3.0T Prestige CPO car with 12k miles on it and a 2012 A7 3.0T Premium Plus CPO with 6500 miles on it and I can get either car for the same price..

So confusion has set in...Both cars are awesome.

The A6 is Phantom Black and is really nice but doesn't have the LED lights but everything else that I would want.

The A7 is Ice Silver and loaded as well but only a Prem Plus pkg..

I am leaning towards the A6 Prestige car.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Opinions?
Sport suspension is great if you have any loose fillings.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I opted for the CPO car and got a great deal.

Here it is..
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: A6 buying question - 19" sport suspension vs' 20" non sport suspension