Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
.... I don't believe its a matter of a lazy engineer. Its a lot more complicated than inputting a picture of a 65MPH sign. ...The list is long.
LOL...I figured you'd be the one to catch this. It was an inside joke that you jumped on right away. Efficient engineers vs lazy engineers makes no difference. Stakeholders make the ultimate decision of how and when improvements get rolled out for maximum profit or market dominance. Most successful companies have engineering break throughs created but planned years later, staying ahead of the game and ahead of their competitors.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
If I had a dollar for every time I had to clarify that traffic sign recognition cannot be enabled in the USA because our cars do not possess the traffic sign "data" to be able to interpret what our traffic signs mean. It wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a sign that said 65MPH and one that said McDonald's. Enabling it wont do anything. The feature, however, will be available on the next gen A4 and Q7.
I think you are correct. The camera can "see" the sign, when I enabled all the options in VCDS, I can see data stream from the camera, however, there is no database for US sign for it to compare and display on the HUD. It also try to get the info from the GPS database but the format is different. Also be careful, when you enable the speed limit feature, you lose the speed limit on the GPS map. The software for US is different from ROW - sorry.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

While I know it won't work with the existing software (not that it couldn't be made to work on the same hardware), it's great to understand how the data stream works. Interesting that it tries to get the data from the GPS map but the format is different.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:51 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
While I know it won't work with the existing software (not that it couldn't be made to work on the same hardware), it's great to understand how the data stream works. Interesting that it tries to get the data from the GPS map but the format is different.
I don't think it's pulling data from the GPS maps as much as it's just merely cross referencing it. This can best be explained by an orange speed limit sign in a construction zone where the speed limit is normally 35. If it sees a sign at a slower speed than it has a record for in a particular area, I would guess that the slower speed would take priority. As far as the speed limit sign disappearing on the Nav screen when enabled, it's because the Nav speed data gets shut off and the traffic sign display in the instrument cluster replaces it. The real engineering question is if the traffic sign data will be able to be extracted from the ROM in the new A4 and transplanted into an older model. A similar scenario can be done for the retrofitting of fatigue detection.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 01-08-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting. It seems Audi was mainly experimenting with this tech in our cars (including those in Europe) so they could have a really refined one for the next version.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
I think you are correct. The camera can "see" the sign, when I enabled all the options in VCDS, I can see data stream from the camera, however, there is no database for US sign for it to compare and display on the HUD. It also try to get the info from the GPS database but the format is different. Also be careful, when you enable the speed limit feature, you lose the speed limit on the GPS map. The software for US is different from ROW - sorry.
Can you please supply the options in VCDS that need to be enabled to do this. Our signs here are compatible, so I would like to try this. Even if it just displayed the GPS speed on the DIS and HUD, I would be happy. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It doesn't sound like it will display the GPS speed there, but it would be good to see if you can do it. Oh, man, what I'd give to have an S6 in beautiful New Zealand.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by schalliol
It doesn't sound like it will display the GPS speed there, but it would be good to see if you can do it. Oh, man, what I'd give to have an S6 in beautiful New Zealand.
The current speed limit is displayed on the nav map as the red circle, but it means you have to have the main MMI display showing the map to see the speed limit. It doesn't show in the DIS even when the map is selected there. I can't understand why Audi didn't give the option to also display it in the HUD.

Thanks. New Zealand is a great place to live, but I miss all the good stuff you guys have access to, that is hard to get here, and expensive to ship.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MadAboutCars
Can you please supply the options in VCDS that need to be enabled to do this. Our signs here are compatible, so I would like to try this. Even if it just displayed the GPS speed on the DIS and HUD, I would be happy. Thanks.
You can try using information from this site.

stemei.de .Fahrzeugcodierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - Audi A6 4G - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign

I think you have to enable a list of things in the hidden menu (can't remember which, but it is pretty obvious if you been around VCDS), after reboot, you will see a list of options on the MMI to use the camera to display the speed limit on the HUD.

Good luck and be careful, while trying to decode the speed limit format on the map database, I almost wipe out the HD.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, 13c7a6. I'll check out that site and see what I can find.

Quick Reply: A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit