Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 3.0 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A6 3.0 Tune

So I'm in the market to get a basic tune (ECU and exhaust)to increase my HP, but not sure it's the best thing now. Can you give me some advice?

I have a 2012 CPO and I bought Audi's extended warranty. I've read that Stasis is the only one that has a warranty, but I can't find anything specific. There's one Audi dealership near me (Dallas, TX) that advertises it, but when I called, they said they were having warranty disputes, and to call back in 60 days.

Another Stasis shop is near me, but not Audi...so no loaner or Audi guarantee/warranty.

Since I put extra $ into the warranty, I don't want to install something that will void the warranty (wife is big on the warranty)

Should I wait for Stasis and Audi to make up, get it done at another shop, or just accept my A6 is no S6 (at least until my warranty is up)? Any advice is appreciated
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Stasis flash recently and even knowing that Audi is presently being a little difficult it didn't cause me much hesitation. I really wanted what the tune does to the power curve on the engine and feel confident that if something warranty related came up that fell into a grey area where Audi and Stasis were in dispute about which of them was responsible it would still, ultimately, be handled by one of the two.

However ..... I'm the only one that drives my car and didn't have to weigh anyone else's opinion when making the decision. I think all of the companies providing these tunes put a lot of time and effort into making sure they aren't pushing any of the components beyond what they can take but even a bone stock car can have issues and if one were to occur in something related to the drivetrain I could see there being some additional down time while Audi and Stasis battled it out.

How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RBeam6
I did the Stasis flash recently and even knowing that Audi is presently being a little difficult it didn't cause me much hesitation. I really wanted what the tune does to the power curve on the engine and feel confident that if something warranty related came up that fell into a grey area where Audi and Stasis were in dispute about which of them was responsible it would still, ultimately, be handled by one of the two.

However ..... I'm the only one that drives my car and didn't have to weigh anyone else's opinion when making the decision. I think all of the companies providing these tunes put a lot of time and effort into making sure they aren't pushing any of the components beyond what they can take but even a bone stock car can have issues and if one were to occur in something related to the drivetrain I could see there being some additional down time while Audi and Stasis battled it out.

How many miles do you have on your car?
I've got just under 27K miles...so a long way to go to 6 years/100k miles.

While the passing speed on the freeway is good, sometimes I like to hit the paddle and drop a few gears just to make a point.

I know that the parts probably won't blow up the car, however, my wife would have my "touchus" if something happened as a result of a mod and voided the warranty. I have trouble telling her I put Xpel on the car. All this and she rarely drives the car. She would not notice the Stasis chip, and I should be able to get away with exhaust, since it won't affect the ride.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well... I mean what's the worst she can do?

On the remote chance that your car develops a problem,
And on the remote chance that a big argument develops over who is going to cover what,
And on the remote chance that nobody ends up covering anything (which at this point you will notice that we are 'remote' three times removed).

Then in that case you should expect some yelling from her.

But hey, maybe the remote chance of a little bit of yelling is OK compared to the smile you will have every single time you press down on the gas.

I'm just sayin...
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oscar2

And on the remote chance that a big argument develops over who is going to cover what,
And on the remote chance that nobody ends up covering anything (which at this point you will notice that we are 'remote' three times removed).

But hey, maybe the remote chance of a little bit of yelling is OK compared to the smile you will have every single time you press down on the gas.

I'm just sayin...
Lol!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Oscar2

I'm just sayin...
HA! I appreciate your concern for my well-being.

I all seriousness, your points are valid. Now I have to get these things done without her knowing! I was hoping I could go through Audi so I can get a loaner. No loaner raises eyebrows!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1st Time Audi
I've got just under 27K miles...so a long way to go to 6 years/100k miles.

While the passing speed on the freeway is good, sometimes I like to hit the paddle and drop a few gears just to make a point.

I know that the parts probably won't blow up the car, however, my wife would have my "touchus" if something happened as a result of a mod and voided the warranty. I have trouble telling her I put Xpel on the car. All this and she rarely drives the car. She would not notice the Stasis chip, and I should be able to get away with exhaust, since it won't affect the ride.
I was just asking about the mileage because I'd imagine by the time you're past the 15k service if there were some defect from the factory hiding in the drivetrain it would have probably already revealed itself. I'm likely going to do the pulley on my car at some point but I'm only at about 9500 right now and will be waiting until I've put in a few thousand miles more (probably wait til after the 15k service) of my somewhat more spirited driving (now that I have the tune and suspension) before I do any other mods.

I've mentioned this in some of my other posts but the tune buys you a lot more than just straight line speed and acceleration. Having the power continue to build to its peak at red line (rather than starting to plateau at 5000 and then drop off) makes for a much more engaging experience in really any kind of spirited driving.

Last edited by RBeam6; 08-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know if this will help in your decision but I have had my GIAC tune for about 14k miles with several High Speed Driving Events, i.e. track days, run with it. I have had no issues. My engine does not consume any oil in between changes. Am I the exception or is this normal? No way to really tell but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a tune and has not experienced any drive train problems. I am married and my wife was made aware of the "risk" I was taking but she sure enjoys the power when she rides with me.