Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

5000 Mile Service - Warranty Items

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5000 Mile Service - Warranty Items

Ill be scheduling my 5000 mile service within the next 30 days or so and have been tracking items that I want my dealer to look at during the service appointment. I'm curious what others have had checked out or resolved at the 5000 mile service? I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the general lack of issues that I have had to date, and the ones that I do have are pretty minor.

My list:
  • Occasional MMI NAV freezes. Once required a complete reset, the other just turning maps off and then back on again. This item has been discussed here on the forum. Its the most serious item I have, and it is intermittent - works correctly most of the time.
  • Occasional "lurch" when easing into the garage. I suspect its a downshift into 1st gear, but it can be rather unnerving as it will overcome light braking. I've gotten used to it, but think it merits having them look into it.
  • Rear License Plate mount - Threads on one of the mounting holes is stripped. Need new mount.
  • Trunk hard to get latched sometimes. I have figured out how to shut it firmly, but my family usually takes 2-3 attempts. I think this is just the way it is.
  • I may mention HD radio reception/sound quality, but I think the issues I have heard are more a question of location than the car. I am aware of other people/cars that have similar issues.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Ill be scheduling my 5000 mile service within the next 30 days or so and have been tracking items that I want my dealer to look at during the service appointment. I'm curious what others have had checked out or resolved at the 5000 mile service? I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the general lack of issues that I have had to date, and the ones that I do have are pretty minor.

My list:
  • Occasional MMI NAV freezes. Once required a complete reset, the other just turning maps off and then back on again. This item has been discussed here on the forum. Its the most serious item I have, and it is intermittent - works correctly most of the time.
  • Occasional "lurch" when easing into the garage. I suspect its a downshift into 1st gear, but it can be rather unnerving as it will overcome light braking. I've gotten used to it, but think it merits having them look into it.
  • Rear License Plate mount - Threads on one of the mounting holes is stripped. Need new mount.
  • Trunk hard to get latched sometimes. I have figured out how to shut it firmly, but my family usually takes 2-3 attempts. I think this is just the way it is.
  • I may mention HD radio reception/sound quality, but I think the issues I have heard are more a question of location than the car. I am aware of other people/cars that have similar issues.
Good thread.

Will be taking my gf's A6 in for the 5k service tomorrow.

Will mention the HD radio reception and the slight jerk when car is downshifting.

The rear license plate mount is cheap, each of our mounts had to be replaced due to the stripping.

Otherwise everything seems good so far.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest you ask the dealer to check the TSB and MMI upgrade list to see if anything applies to your car.

Have them rotate the tires if you haven't already done so.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
I would suggest you ask the dealer to check the TSB and MMI upgrade list to see if anything applies to your car.

Have them rotate the tires if you haven't already done so.
rotating the tires is part of the 5K service.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psychodo
rotating the tires is part of the 5K service.
Remember though...You should be rotating your tires every 3,000 to 5,000 miles

During this service, they make do the first rotation for you, but make sure you keep on it.

I have had to work hard to remember this year to do that, because my last BMW had different width tires for front and rear (BMWs with sport packages are mostly this way)

Here is a good article from TireRack on tire rotation:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good point but 3 K is probably a bit too often. Most other sites say 5-8 K (some as high as 10K). In fact the Hankook's winters I have recommend 7,500. Not sure what the Audi manual says, need to check.

Last edited by psychodo; 10-03-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Was told by a SA that the quattro audis with same width tires don't need to be rotated every 5k miles like normal cars. He said every 10k miles between regular service should be fine. I took his advice with a grain of salt. There might be some truth in his advice but 10k miles seems too long considering these summer tires will only last 20-25k miles. Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure Im even going to do the tire rotation on this one... I have to switch to winter tires soon anyway (shoot,we have snow in forecast for Saturday!!!). Guess I have to get off my butt and order up some tires soon (I think the Bridgestone RE970AS). I will be right about 5000 miles when that happens.

Any other reports of items that required attention at the 5000 mile service?

Originally, I was planning on taking advantage of the Valet service, but Im thinking I would like to stop in for a visit in person - would like to get to know the Service Manager at least... just in case.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Not sure Im even going to do the tire rotation on this one... I have to switch to winter tires soon anyway (shoot,we have snow in forecast for Saturday!!!). Guess I have to get off my butt and order up some tires soon (I think the Bridgestone RE970AS). I will be right about 5000 miles when that happens.

Any other reports of items that required attention at the 5000 mile service?

Originally, I was planning on taking advantage of the Valet service, but Im thinking I would like to stop in for a visit in person - would like to get to know the Service Manager at least... just in case.
Dropped off the car this am:

*Mentioned the HD radio signal issue, was told there is no ''updated'' software in the system to update.

*Advised that there was a slight jerk in the transmission downshifting from 4th to 3rd, said they'll look into it.

*This one was not mentioned by me but was listed in the system. Update/replace the Power Steering Control Unit. The advisor said that was new in the system and would look into it. Has anyone heard about this during their service?

Will wait and see what they say after I go in to pick up the car.
W
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dht34
Was told by a SA that the quattro audis with same width tires don't need to be rotated every 5k miles like normal cars. He said every 10k miles between regular service should be fine. I took his advice with a grain of salt. There might be some truth in his advice but 10k miles seems too long considering these summer tires will only last 20-25k miles. Thoughts?
One other benefit of having tires rotated is to loosen up and remove the lug nuts/bolts. You don't want to have a flat and have siezed lug bolts. My Corvette had directional different size tires, but I had them all broken loose, removed and retorqued every 3000 miles.

Quick Reply: 5000 Mile Service - Warranty Items