Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

3.0T = Supercharged??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.0T = Supercharged??

Ok, at the risk of asking a dumb question; how does 3.0T, with the "T" standing for turbo...or so I thought...reflect that we have supercharged engines in our cars? Even the engine designator, 3.0 TFSI (Turbo fuel stratified injection) indicates "turbo."
Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Because Audi uses the "s" designator for model lines and might have thought it confusing-IMHO.

The better question is why such limited use of the supercharger. No lag. My 3.0T feels as quick as my E46 M3
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

From the Audi glossary
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...i.browser.html
-----------------------------
TFSI

Audi was the first manufacturer in the world to combine petrol direct injection with turbocharging in large-scale car production. The success story of the 2.0 TFSI was launched in summer 2004 when it debuted in the Audi A3 Sportback.

Compared with conventional naturally aspirated V6 engines, a turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder engine delivering the same performance uses 10 to 15 percent less fuel.

FSI technology and turbocharging make such an excellent combination because the evaporation of fuel directly within the combustion chamber in FSI engines removes heat from the intake air. This allows a higher compression, significantly improving engine efficiency. It also solves an old problem in all turbocharged engines – a high tendency to knock at high boost levels.

The integrated turbocharger exhaust manifold module ensures optimum turbine efficiency, resulting in excellent utilisation of the exhaust energy. This achieves both a high power output and optimum engine responsiveness, ultimately helping to reduce fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.

The second generation of 2.0 l TFSI engines, which were introduced in the Audi A4, A5 and Audi Q5 in 2008, featured for the first time valve lift control in the form of the Audi valvelift system on the exhaust side. Significantly improved torque was the result with better low-end torque and a more effective dynamic torque build-up. Alongside performance improvements, these optimisations were also translated into taller gear ratios, bringing about a further reduction in fuel consumption.

The combination of petrol direct injection and a mechanical supercharging module makes the 3.0 l V6 engine, fitted in selected Audi models, a compact power plant with an early maximum torque of 400 Nm sustained over a wide power band – with moderate fuel consumption. With its very spontaneous response and an extraordinary power flow across the entire rpm range, the six-cylinder unit also permits a particularly dynamic driving style.

By bringing together supercharging and petrol direct injection, TFSI unlocks a superior potential: greater power output and more dynamic performance with lower fuel consumption.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
From the Audi glossary
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...i.browser.html
-----------------------------
TFSI

Audi was the first manufacturer in the world to combine petrol direct injection with turbocharging in large-scale car production. The success story of the 2.0 TFSI was launched in summer 2004 when it debuted in the Audi A3 Sportback.

Compared with conventional naturally aspirated V6 engines, a turbocharged direct-injection four-cylinder engine delivering the same performance uses 10 to 15 percent less fuel.

FSI technology and turbocharging make such an excellent combination because the evaporation of fuel directly within the combustion chamber in FSI engines removes heat from the intake air. This allows a higher compression, significantly improving engine efficiency. It also solves an old problem in all turbocharged engines – a high tendency to knock at high boost levels.

The integrated turbocharger exhaust manifold module ensures optimum turbine efficiency, resulting in excellent utilisation of the exhaust energy. This achieves both a high power output and optimum engine responsiveness, ultimately helping to reduce fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.

The second generation of 2.0 l TFSI engines, which were introduced in the Audi A4, A5 and Audi Q5 in 2008, featured for the first time valve lift control in the form of the Audi valvelift system on the exhaust side. Significantly improved torque was the result with better low-end torque and a more effective dynamic torque build-up. Alongside performance improvements, these optimisations were also translated into taller gear ratios, bringing about a further reduction in fuel consumption.

The combination of petrol direct injection and a mechanical supercharging module makes the 3.0 l V6 engine, fitted in selected Audi models, a compact power plant with an early maximum torque of 400 Nm sustained over a wide power band – with moderate fuel consumption. With its very spontaneous response and an extraordinary power flow across the entire rpm range, the six-cylinder unit also permits a particularly dynamic driving style.

By bringing together supercharging and petrol direct injection, TFSI unlocks a superior potential: greater power output and more dynamic performance with lower fuel consumption.
Was that just a long way of saying, "I don't know either."
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Being new to Audi, I'm not well versed in its history. Always nice to read tidbits like this. Thanks tenspeed!
Old 06-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought it was to not confuse people with the s line. I could see a6s or 3.0s a6 confusing non car geeks
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s4str
Ok, at the risk of asking a dumb question; how does 3.0T, with the "T" standing for turbo...or so I thought...reflect that we have supercharged engines in our cars? Even the engine designator, 3.0 TFSI (Turbo fuel stratified injection) indicates "turbo."
A turbo IS a supercharger. The T seems to be a US thing, in Europe the entire TFSI label is used.
Also, the Supercharged badge is something the US importer sticks on as an image thing, it is not put on there by Audi AG. I guess Supercharged sounds cooler and more "racing" than Turbo, which has lost its former cool factor.

Last edited by Mickelin; 06-22-2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 06-22-2012, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mickelin
A turbo IS a supercharger. The T seems to be a US thing, in Europe the entire TFSI label is used.
Also, the Supercharged badge is something the US importer sticks on as an image thing, it is not put on there by Audi AG.
Not exactly the same thing...turbochargers are exhaust driven and superchargers are belt driven.
The following users liked this post:
AFone (01-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Spliting hairs, but by definition a turbo is an exhaust driven supercharger. Turbo is short for turbosupercharger. Mechanical superchargers are just refered to as superchargers. Hence the confusion.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think darcivic00si put it best. A turbocharger and a supercharger are not the same thing, although both modules have the same function: to force and compress air into the engine. The way they achieve their goal is qute different though. In other words:

Turbocharger = a little lag before full boost, as it relies on exhaust gas pressure build up. You usually hear the engine revving up before feeling the kick.

Supercharger = immediate boost, as it is mechanically driven via a belt / chain.

The 3.0 engine in the current A6 has a supercharger. And it rocks.

Quick Reply: 3.0T = Supercharged??