Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

20in all season tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 05:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
I will add that the Michelin tread life is horrible. At 17K of normal sane drivingI am pretty much at 3/32 and 4/32 all around, I got better life out of the Bridgestone summer tires that came on my M37S. I will be looking at the General GMAX AS3 as I had them on my M37S and loved them, although they are noisey.
I'll second the AS3 comment. I'm at 18k on them and around 4/32. Plus I did not like them in snow and they are a noisy ride. I also tramlined noticeably more with then than with the summer tires. I'll be trying the DWS for this next winter.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sickler
I'll second the AS3 comment. I'm at 18k on them and around 4/32. Plus I did not like them in snow and they are a noisy ride. I also tramlined noticeably more with then than with the summer tires. I'll be trying the DWS for this next winter.
I am coming up on 18K and they are just under 4/32 so I am either going back to General GMAX AS3 or I may try the new Goodyear UHP tires, not looking to drop a lot on the tires because I am actually probably looking to get out of my A6 within by the next 6-12 months.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to close the loop on my earlier posts in this thread, I got the 20" Conti DWS (not the new 06's) for my 2016 A6 with sports suspension delivered a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with them so far. Still in the break-in period on the car, and I haven't really tested the limits of the car yet, but they definitely improved the ride over the Pirelli summer tires I test drove, and they give me enough dry grip in the few fast twisties I've taken so far. I'll reiterate my recommendation of them for anyone determined to go with 20" all-seasons. Here's hoping the new 06's are even better. I'm sure there's a performance trade-off compared to summer tires, but anyone considering all-seasons is probably OK with that.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LeadingEdge
Just to close the loop on my earlier posts in this thread, I got the 20" Conti DWS (not the new 06's) for my 2016 A6 with sports suspension delivered a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with them so far. Still in the break-in period on the car, and I haven't really tested the limits of the car yet, but they definitely improved the ride over the Pirelli summer tires I test drove, and they give me enough dry grip in the few fast twisties I've taken so far. I'll reiterate my recommendation of them for anyone determined to go with 20" all-seasons. Here's hoping the new 06's are even better. I'm sure there's a performance trade-off compared to summer tires, but anyone considering all-seasons is probably OK with that.
Great to hear. I decided to wait for the DWS06, they are set to arrive in August. I read that they are a bit better in reducing road noise and a little better for comfort too. The other stats remain the same, traction, wet and so on. How much did you pay for your DWS?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think they were $185 per tire plus shipping on tirerack at the time, but actually I didn't pay for them. The dealer agreed to swap out the summers on the car from the factory and put on the DWS, no charge. Very decent of them (in part to make up for a miscommunication in the car order). So I didn't have the option to wait for the new version of the tires. Next time....
Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure how much you are willing to spend the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S fit the 255/35R20, i think they run in $300/tire range.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by D_Lippke
Not sure how much you are willing to spend the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S fit the 255/35R20, i think they run in $300/tire range.
Except I am not the only one that they lasted less than 18K miles, will never buy them again as I have had summer tires that held up better then those.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree 35 height sidewall are not for the winter. I had those on my A4 s-line summer tires. I ran Dunlop 3D 17" 45 height snows on Tire Rack Sports Edition wheels 3 winters and they were great.

My new A6 has 18" wheels and they are fine. The horrible roads with potholes in metro NY winters have made a 35 sidewall tires undesirable.

My wife has the DWS on her A4 and they are very close to a snow tire in the winter.

If you drive allot I suggest changing tires and wheels seasonally because no tire is good near the end of tread life.

Originally Posted by eric strauss
Greetings,

Jumping in here a bit late… It is my humble opinion that 20" tires for any kind of snow represents a risky proposition. I too had an A6 and loved the summer rubber. For the winter, I went to a 19" wheel and tire combo that gave me a a taller sidewall and more protection from ice and other cold weather issues. In fact 18" tires will work as well (unless you have gone to a big brake kit). Tire Rack has winter options that will be very inexpensive compared to 20" tires and over the life of the car, you will break even of better by doing it this way. Before I moved to LA, I always had two sets of tires for my Audi's. In that respect I could mount severe service duty snow tires on the smaller wheels (still high performance tires, such as Pirelli P210's). This really helped match the tire compounds to the external temperatures that I was encountering.

Best of luck

Eric
Old 06-20-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, just under 18K miles and the Michelin AS3 are done, put on General GMAX AS03. Had put them on my M37S and liked them, they are a tad noisy when they get miles on them, but honestly new they are about the same noise as the aged Michelins were, maybe a tad more. From expierence these tires are phenomenal in the rain.

Last edited by keithl; 06-20-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keithl
OK, just under 18K miles and the Michelin AS3 are done, put on General GMAX AS03. Had put them on my M37S and liked them, they are a tad noisy when they get miles on them, but honestly new they are about the same noise as the aged Michelins were, maybe a tad more. From expierence these tires are phenomenal in the rain.
I took my AS3 to get rotated yesterday and came back 2/32 and 3/32 on tread life. This was at 17k and change. They called up Michelin to put in a warranty claim and I received a bit over $500 credit. Putting on the Conti DWS06 Monday.

Quick Reply: 20in all season tire recommendations