Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 Audi A6 - Decision in process

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Audi A6 - Decision in process

Hi All:

Been a few years since I've owned an Audi (switched to Lexus - long story) and am looking at a new one in the 2016 MY. Also been a few years since I posted (or followed the AW forums = Life gets busy). Not trolling here. Since the MY2016 is really not going to change much in the awd versions except minor exterior aesthetics from what I can gather, wanted to see if any real owners had any feedback in the categories of:

Must have options?
Don't bother options?
What you would change if you ordered your car now (knowing what you know, or missed out on)?
Nuisances?
Simple home cooked or dealer tweaks to settings/electronics etc... that you recommend?

Again, it has been awhile so if I'm out of touch with the forum culture or questions just skip it. Thx.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You're missing:
- More power in the 2.0T.
- More power in the 3.0T.
- Upgraded MMI w/ LTE service & in-dash screen.
- Revised HUD (smaller).
Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian-PA
Since the MY2016 is really not going to change much in the awd versions except minor exterior aesthetics from what I can gather, wanted to see if any real owners had any feedback in the categories of:

Must have options?
Don't bother options?
Welcome back.

Favorite options is like favorite colors. Everyone is different...

For me, the Prestige trim and LED headlights are "must have's". Since I'm in the rural deer country, the night vision is high on the list. Same priority with the sport suspension.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Welcome back.

Favorite options is like favorite colors. Everyone is different...

For me, the Prestige trim and LED headlights are "must have's". Since I'm in the rural deer country, the night vision is high on the list. Same priority with the sport suspension.
+1 on the LED headlights. I too live in the country, and deer awareness is a must especially during matting season when the males are roaming about looking to make a connection.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian-PA
Hi All:

Been a few years since I've owned an Audi (switched to Lexus - long story) and am looking at a new one in the 2016 MY. Also been a few years since I posted (or followed the AW forums = Life gets busy). Not trolling here. Since the MY2016 is really not going to change much in the awd versions except minor exterior aesthetics from what I can gather, wanted to see if any real owners had any feedback in the categories of:

Must have options?
Don't bother options?
What you would change if you ordered your car now (knowing what you know, or missed out on)?
Nuisances?
Simple home cooked or dealer tweaks to settings/electronics etc... that you recommend?

Again, it has been awhile so if I'm out of touch with the forum culture or questions just skip it. Thx.
I have a 2014 Audi A6 TDI, my first Audi. My last car was a 2008 Lexus GS 460 and another Lexus and a Chevy before that.

My TDI A6 is is Premium Plus, 19" Sport Package, Bose, Side Assist, Cold Weather. 19" Sport and Cold Weather I'm indifferent about, but, I live in San Francisco Bay area so it doesn't get too cold. I'm thrilled I went with the TDI for a variety of reasons.

The Mark Levinson which you probably had is absolutely superior to the Bose in everyway, but, the Bose sound is fine to me. The B&O system is insanely priced, but, the A8 I looked at had it and it was fantastic. The Lexus NAV is certainly easier to use for the first time, but, I got used to the MMI very quick. I cannot say I prefer one over the other now, they're both quite functional and easy to use.

I would have purchased the A8 TDI over the A6 in a second (and almost did) except there are a lot of buttons back there and I have a three and five year old so I was worried that they'd just tear it all up so I settled on the A6 until they get older. The A8 gas was really no better than the LS in my opinion, TDI though makes it absolutely superior.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
the night vision is high on the list.
I wasn't going to order that on my S6 but then a woman I work with hit a deer in her (I think) 7 month old car. Changed my mind REALLY quickly.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Best options IMO

3.0T engine
Black headliner
Side Assist
19" Wheels

Options I am not a fan of

LED lights - no difference in performance from the Xenon in my test driving experience
Upgraded stereo - if you want you can do better on your own upgrading with aftermarket components
Old 02-04-2015, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

Here is my take on the options in my own 2015 TDI:

Prestige Package

Full LED lights - a huge improvement over the xenons in my C6
Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel - convenient for getting my middle age body in and out of the car
Heads Up Display - good option, much easier to follow the navigation directions, wish it showd more information
Four Zone Climate - it was a must for me because it gives you digital controls instead of the cheap looking display on the other models
Ventilated Seats - it's not air conditioned, but it does help on long trips
Comforts seats - much more comfortable than the standard seats
Window shades - power rear share is great when the sun is rising or setting, side shades make passengers happy

Sports Package

Lowered suspension - an absolute must for appearance and handling
Paddle Shifters - a good option and fun when you want to have a spirited drive
19" tires - improves looks and handling, without sacrificing the ride quality with the 20" tires

Driver Assistance Package

Appearance - the nose of the car looks MUCH better
Active Lane Assist - it's fun watching the car steer itself, but usually I have it turned off
Adaptive Cruise Control - a great option since I live in a metropolitan area with a lot of traffic
Top and corner cameras - a great option for parking and keeping an eye on the kids and dogs
Distance Sensor - warns me when I am tailgating and has hit the brakes a few times in the last 6 months
Pre-sense - could save my life some day

Cold weather package

Heated steering wheel - makes the cold mornings warm and toasty
Rear heated seats - passengers appreciate it

Night Vision Assistant with pedestrian detection

It's a fun gadget that would be better if the information was projected through the heads up display

Black Headliner

Depending on the interior colors, it is an absolute must
Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I wholeheartedly agree with the positive comments re the LED headlights. After using them for a few months, I had a loaner overnight with Xenons. In comparison, I felt like I was using a flashlight with weak batteries. Well, a bit of hyperbole there, but the difference in angle and distance was immediately noticeable on rural roads - I felt handicapped.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 182 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I wholeheartedly agree with the positive comments re the LED headlights. After using them for a few months, I had a loaner overnight with Xenons. In comparison, I felt like I was using a flashlight with weak batteries. Well, a bit of hyperbole there, but the difference in angle and distance was immediately noticeable on rural roads - I felt handicapped.
Don't have definitive proof of this but here in the UK Xenon is now the standard on the SE (base spec) with the S-Line spec/S6 getting LED as standard and the option of Matrix LED. Up until the facelift Xenon equipped cars came with Headlight Washers in order to meet EU regulations. Following the facelift the SE spec does not have Headlight Washers despite having Xenons. The thinking here is that the Xenons fitted to facelift cars are less powerful (apparently Xenon equipped cars only need HLW if the bulbs fitted are above a certain number of Lumens) than previously and thus do not require HLW. LED equipped cars still have the washers and those with SE spec continue to get front bumper with the cutouts present but no washers to remind them of their poverty spec! This may or may not apply to the 2016 spec cars in the US

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi A6 - Decision in process