Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2015 TDI shifts seem jerky, low, or out of synch. A few other odd issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 TDI shifts seem jerky, low, or out of synch. A few other odd issues

I love my 6-month-old TDI in many ways! I purchased used from a dealer who obviously did the Diesel Gate updates. I noticed that when driving in the city (Warm or cold engine) the shifts seem too low. It seems to stay in lower gears without upshifting or it may flip up and back down. Is this normal with these updated cars? Not very smooth. The other mystery to me is that the fog lights (Front) go off automatically at certain speeds when headlights are in the Auto position. If not in auto they seem to stay on. Also, my hood warning light comes on intermittently (Open hood) so it seems the hatch may not be engaging properly? The hood is closed by often get the warning light picture (Front hood). The wipers won't work if the car thinks the hood is not engaged. Just a few odd ball observations.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

I have held off on getting the EPA fix. However, your observations regarding the new shift pattern are consistent with what others have reported. I have never experienced the other issues that you discussed in your post. Good luck with the new ride. The TDi is a wonderful engine.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on my 2014 if in Auto on the lights the fogs go off over about 40 mph, always have since new
Old 03-27-2019, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snowchaser
I love my 6-month-old TDI in many ways! I purchased used from a dealer who obviously did the Diesel Gate updates. I noticed that when driving in the city (Warm or cold engine) the shifts seem too low. It seems to stay in lower gears without upshifting or it may flip up and back down. Is this normal with these updated cars? Not very smooth.
Yes, others have noted shift changes as you describe and some have noted improvement over time. Let us know if you note any improvement. Like KevinGary, I too am holding off on fix for time being - like the engine too much as it is. Can't respond to light issue as I never use Auto mode...control freak so to speak
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I have held off on getting the EPA fix. However, your observations regarding the new shift pattern are consistent with what others have reported. I have never experienced the other issues that you discussed in your post. Good luck with the new ride. The TDi is a wonderful engine.
Agree on the odd shift pattern after the fix. Mine smoothed out a few weeks after the fix was applied. That being said, last summer some odd tendencies appeared and the shifts became abrupt and jerky. Dropped it at the dealer and diagnoses found a faulty O2 sensor. This was replaced at no charge because it was under the 'new emissions warranty' and the Q5 was normal again. Then in October the same problem occurred and again it was diagnosed as a faulty O2 sensor. Again it was repaired under warranty. And once more all is normal. I've had no problems since that episode. .02

Last edited by bpp; 03-28-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, everyone! I will have Audi check my O2 sensor but would assume if there was an issue I would have an error light? I am thinking of purchasing a 2nd one and wondering if 2016 has many features that the 14/15 did not have? I like fully loaded safety (Lane departure, Pedestrian recognition etc.) but NOT sport suspension and giant wheels. It's hard to find one that has lots of features nonsport. To avoid the fix would need to find one private sale.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:08 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

FYI the initial O2 failure in August did NOT send a CEL. The second O2 replacement in October DID throw a CEL. Both repairs were fulfilled under the new TDI emissions warranty at no charge.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifting on my '16 is smoother than my 2014 A6 TDI. This one does not have the terrible sports suspension or sport package, so perhaps there could be something related to that (though unlikely).
Old 03-28-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by snowchaser
Thanks, everyone! I will have Audi check my O2 sensor ..... I am thinking of purchasing a 2nd one ......but NOT sport suspension and giant wheels. It's hard to find one that has lots of features nonsport.
If you haven't driven the A6 with the sports package, you may not want to rule A6s with this option out, particularly as there is a very finite number of A6 TDIs out there to choose from. Before purchasing my A6, I tested all variants: 2T, 3T and TDI with/without the package and found that the Prestige version for whatever reason was no more 'stiff' than those without. Perhaps it's the ventilated seats, or the heavy diesel engine, but who knows - test drive and see. BTW, the 19" are fine on lousy roads.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
If you haven't driven the A6 with the sports package, you may not want to rule A6s with this option out, particularly as there is a very finite number of A6 TDIs out there to choose from. Before purchasing my A6, I tested all variants: 2T, 3T and TDI with/without the package and found that the Prestige version for whatever reason was no more 'stiff' than those without. Perhaps it's the ventilated seats, or the heavy diesel engine, but who knows - test drive and see. BTW, the 19" are fine on lousy roads.
You seem to imply that Prestige and sport suspension go together. They are separate options so the non sport suspension is far more compliant for the crappy US roads. Tire size is also a factor in ride but the sport suspension on 20’s is less comfortable than a truck.

Quick Reply: 2015 TDI shifts seem jerky, low, or out of synch. A few other odd issues