Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 MMI system died...21000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A6 MMI system died...21000 miles

Welcome to the weekend...coming out of my office at end of day Friday and get into car, start it up and no MMI..no screen pop up, no telephone, no nav, nothing...just get the message on the speedo that everything is "initializing please wait" Never did start on 30 min ride home

Tried a 3 button reboot which you could do on older Audis..nothing

Waited till next morning..nothing

checked all MMI fuses which were ok

No dash error messages either

Ideas???

In the meantime its going in to Audi Monday morning (and probably have 25k service done as well)

The bonus on this is you can hear how quiet these cars are with no audio, no telephone and one can actually talk with the family without distraction
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your 5F unit has failed.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
Sounds like your 5F unit has failed.
If so, there's good news and not such good news. The not such good news is a replacement of the module will require that all the MMI user settings must be redone. The much better news is the replacement will probably have the latest MMI software (0814?) and the new modem with the updated 3G frequencies for Audi Connect data. This should allow for the new T-Mobile 3G/AT&T 3G on a MY2012/2013 (same as MY2014/2015).
Old 06-15-2015, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got the call from Audi...yup..5F unit failure....$5800 for the part alone plus labor and tax....thank goodness for warranty. Part to be overnighted

Reason enough never to keep a car out of warranty...Thats when I unloaded my Carrera (after extended warranty ended ..7 yrs total warranty)

Hopefully all the new software updates are applied

keep you posted
Old 06-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If so, there's good news and not such good news. The not such good news is a replacement of the module will require that all the MMI user settings must be redone. The much better news is the replacement will probably have the latest MMI software (0814?) and the new modem with the updated 3G frequencies for Audi Connect data. This should allow for the new T-Mobile 3G/AT&T 3G on a MY2012/2013 (same as MY2014/2015).
nope on new software...still has 0556 software with 2G frequencies...for all I know they quietly used a recycled part and yes.. lost all my user settings
Old 06-16-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Slant83
nope on new software...still has 0556 software with 2G frequencies...for all I know they quietly used a recycled part and yes.. lost all my user settings
Well, that's a bummer. You could be right - instead of waiting who knows how long for an ordered one to get in, they might have used one from a car on their lot. I guess you could ask. Or wait awhile and use the "my wife's Windows OS phone has problems and that you understand MMI 0814 has the fix" complaint. That wouldn't solve the AT&T 3G issue but at least you would get an MMI upgrade.

Keep in mind that since T-Mobile is changing their 3G frequency to that used by AT&T, region by region, we MY2012/2013 owners should eventually get letters from T-Mobile and AOA offering to update the tel modem module.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Well, that's a bummer. You could be right - instead of waiting who knows how long for an ordered one to get in, they might have used one from a car on their lot. I guess you could ask. Or wait awhile and use the "my wife's Windows OS phone has problems and that you understand MMI 0814 has the fix" complaint. That wouldn't solve the AT&T 3G issue but at least you would get an MMI upgrade.

Keep in mind that since T-Mobile is changing their 3G frequency to that used by AT&T, region by region, we MY2012/2013 owners should eventually get letters from T-Mobile and AOA offering to update the tel modem module.

...that'll be great but I figure Audi/T-mobile might just let it lapse like Apple does with legacy devices..By then most cars will be out of warranty/support. Had a similar situation with a Mercedes that had a built in Verizon phone (cellular one at the time) then carrier went digital and it became obsolete and MB did nothing except told me to get a new traditional cellphone vs the built in telephone system...needless to say I unloaded the car shortly afterwards (for other customer support reasons) and never went back to MB

Last edited by Slant83; 06-17-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

...that'll be great but I figure Audi/T-mobile might just let it lapse like Apple does with legacy devices..By then most cars will be out of warranty/support. Had a similar situation with a Mercedes that had a built in Verizon phone (cellular one at the time) then carrier went digital and it became obsolete and MB did nothing except told me to get a new traditional cellphone vs the built in telephone system...needless to say I unloaded the car shortly afterwards (for other customer support reasons) and never went back to MB
I think we'll be safe for years to come. Audi is already updating at no charge MY2012/2013 C7 T-Mobile 3G freq as T-Mobile migrates region by region. This will also make the A6 compatible with the AT&T 3G as is found in the MY2014/2015 C7s. Since AT&T (and prob T-Mobile) will have to accommodate the millions of 3G devices out there for quite some time, we will likely be into a new car with 4G LTE long before 3G is abandoned.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got the call from Audi...yup..5F unit failure....$5800 for the part alone plus labor and tax....thank goodness for warranty. Part to be overnighted

Reason enough never to keep a car out of warranty...Thats when I unloaded my Carrera (after extended warranty ended ..7 yrs total warranty)

Hopefully all the new software updates are applied

keep you posted
That price is interesting since I had mine replaced recently because it failed when the dealer was updating the SW. The price I was quoted was $2800. I convinced the service manager that Audi should foot the bill even thou my car was about 3K miles out of warranty. It turns out that the dealer and Audi shared in the cost to replace the unit. When this unit was received it the original SW version. The dealer updated it to 715-2, this time with out any problems.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats 5F and whats the likely cause of it breaking?

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 MMI system died...21000 miles