Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 Audi A6 C7 Window Chrome Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Audi A6 C7 Window Chrome Delete

So, after much research into blackout options I finally jumped on board the chrome delete band wagon. My local auto wrap dealer wanted $350 just for the side window chrome. So, I decided to give plasti-dip a try. I’m sharing my experience because I took a little bit different approach than all the videos and research suggested; I did it with doors open. I just couldn’t wrap my mind around all the videos that suggested doing it with the doors closed then before the last coat fully dries, you open the doors…WTF? After thoroughly examining the window chrome surround, it just seemed like that would result in a more finished look. I decided to do one side at a time in case there were lessons learned the first time. As you’re probably aware the chrome butts up to the painted car body on the outside and black rubber/plastic on the inside. I was very concerned how the plasti-dip would handle the separation from the rubber strips. Happy to report it all went well. The plasti-dip pulled right up all around the chrome leaving sharp crisp lines. I needed a razor assist on the inside chrome near the rear corner, behind the passenger windows where the upper and lower chrome come together. For some reason, the plasti-dip wasn’t cooperating in this area. Of course, I’m worried about how it will look in a year but I can always remove it. Still debating whether to do the door handles or not.

Just posting for anyone out there researching plasti-dip techniques for their Audi. I’ll post a few pics. I also did the rear badges. Now I need to pick up the black mesh grill.

Project notes to assist;
  • Cleaned chrome using a 50-50 isopropyl rubbing alcohol & water mix; diligently before taping then again after car taped off
  • It was about 40 degrees in the garage. Was worried about the cold surface but seemed to be fine
  • Kept can of plasti-dip in warm water the entire time between applications
  • Applied 7 coats with about 30 minutes drying time between each which I believe was key in the great results I saw
  • Folded mirrors in; below the mirrors are challenging
  • Doors open will require more masking work. Tape and drape is essential.
Hope this helps anyone looking to de-chrome!

Cheers

Last edited by Ltdplus9; 11-29-2019 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Formatting issues
Old 12-01-2019, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks amazing! Great job!
The following users liked this post:
Ltdplus9 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice work dude!
The following users liked this post:
Ltdplus9 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great! I did mine using the 3M gloss black tape. It looks pretty good upon first glance but when you get really close especially near the rear passenger window it could have been better. I may give your solution a try.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like the open-door method since it allows you to get lots of chrome areas you couldn't possible get with doors closed (one of many reasons I don't understand all the videos doing it with doors closed). When you open your doors and examine it, it's easy to see all the chrome extensions hiding behind closed doors; the biggest one being the chrome strip above the windows. I'll attach a picture showing the lower edge of that strip after plastidip (upper tape had not been removed yet). The whole ribbed strip was chrome, now black, however, the door upper weather strip closes against this area so I'm very concerned about how it will hold up after numerous door closings.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Finished off Chrome Delete w/ New Grill

Got the new StoneCarbon RS-style honeycomb grill on. The only chrome left is the door handles. I'm thinking I'll probably put the chrome Audi badge back on the front but for now, I'm liking the blacked out look.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ltdplus9: Nice! Looks great
Old 04-04-2021, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 16-Month Follow-Up

As I stated in my original post; "I’m worried about how it will look in a year but I can always remove it.". So I wanted to post this follow-up for anyone considering the plastic-dip de-chrome option but concerned about durability. So after 16 months, it still looks awesome. I have a couple rock dings where the chrome shows through, but the for the most part, 99% of it still looks as good as the day I did it. Hope this helps.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cost

Hey how much was it to get the honeycomb grill installed and did you have any issues with AAC after? Everywhere I’ve looked for trying to get that done says you have to take it to the dealer to get it re-calibrated. I’ve got a red 2014 A6 prestige with the sensors/camera/AAC and really wish I could swap out the grill since I don’t need a front plate anymore in OH.

thanks!
Old 10-10-2021, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry. Just now seeing this. Did you get it done? I paid about $250 for the install. No issues with ACC or the sensors.