Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 high oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil level is still near the top after 7300 km, however, my coolant level is just below minimum. I will request them to check for problems when I bring it in for my 8000 km regular service.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6Craig
I asked the service rep at my local dealer and they said to expect about a quarter of the oil to be burned off every 1200 miles with this engine. I was a little shocked. Can anyone else confirm?
That's a crock. They probably meant "quart" not quarter, but it's still ridiculous to claim that is expected/normal. The standard BS line from car service departments (any brand) is that you can burn up to a quart per thousand miles before they will consider it a problem that might be covered.

Some 3.0T engines (regardless which model Audi) consume oil. Whether it's 10% or 30% or 70% of them, nobody knows (and probably part of the reason dipsticks were deleted by the factory). All you can say for sure is that it's not 0% and it's not 100%.

Here's a thought...Get a friend to go into that dealer (with a pocket digital recorder) and look at new A6's. Have the friend ask if they have oil consumption problems (the salesman will of course say no, he's never heard of that), then take the recording to the service department. ;o).
Old 12-08-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EF99
Here's a thought...Get a friend to go into that dealer (with a pocket digital recorder) and look at new A6's. Have the friend ask if they have oil consumption problems (the salesman will of course say no, he's never heard of that), then take the recording to the service department. ;o).
I know that was probably a tongue-in-cheek comment, but out of an abundance of caution I'll point out that in some states (which I believe include California, Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington) it's illegal to record conversations (on the phone, in person, or otherwise) unless all involved parties give their consent.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

About to hit 15,000 on my 2012 A6 and I have not added anything. All is good!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkitchen15
About to hit 15,000 on my 2012 A6 and I have not added anything. All is good!
Congratulations!

I have just passed 16K and haven't added anything either.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Congratulations!

I have just passed 16K and haven't added anything either.
I have posted this previously as i had a similar experience. I have 26000km on mine and have added oil 3 times every 8000km or so that is 5000miles which I was told was normal. I think its excessive but they tell me its normal so what can you do.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This thread brings to mind another thread i read that talks about the relationship between Break-In and oil consumption. One side of the argument says that following the manufacturers guidance for break-in, keeping RPMs relatively low for the first 1k miles, could possibly lead to higher oil consumption due the cylinder rings not properly sealing. The other side of the argument says once the car is at normal operating temps, take the car to or near redline followed by engine braking a couple times a day during the first few hundred miles. This method is supposed to result in a better seating and sealing of the cylinder rings and minimize oil consumption throughout the life of the motor.

My question to all of you, which method did you use and does your oil consumption support the manufacturers recommended break in or the harder break-in?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I followed the break-in instructions fairly closely for the first 800 miles or so. At 4K and no oil consumption so far (MMI usually at full, once in a while shows 7/8 full). Car is driven about 70%urban/30% freeway.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Not sure what it says in the US Driver's Handbook but in the UK one (see below) it clearly states that anything upto 0.5ltr/1000km (approx. 1US Pint/620 miles) is normal
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2012, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started this thread a while ago before I bought my A6, almost a year now & close to 5K miles oil level is at max. I followed break in as suggested by manual. But it is too early to predict whether there will be oil consumption in future or not. I saw A4/S4 thread about method of break in but I followed recommendations by Audi.

Oil consumption for high performance engines is common, same issue with BMW 550i, & few on 535i as well. But strange thing is that some owners have it, some do not, so other factors can be: -driving style (hard/soft), -Stop/go (driving conditions),...etc. Manual says it is normal as posted on thread. Audi Canada would top in for free when it gets low.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 high oil consumption