Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 high oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 A6 high oil consumption

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and recently did a test drive for A6 and fell in love with this car. I'm bit worried about threads regarding oil consumption every 1k or 2K miles so would need your input mainly rom A6 owners.

1- What do you feel about this issue?
2- Those who took delivery of new A6 what is their observation so far?

I currently own 535i "E60" and will not move to F10 (new 535i) especially after seeing how A6 handles but your input will help.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as I know, oil consumption is not a problem in the 3.0T engine. Most of the reports of high oil consumption is from the 2.0T engine.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stoulana
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and recently did a test drive for A6 and fell in love with this car. I'm bit worried about threads regarding oil consumption every 1k or 2K miles so would need your input mainly rom A6 owners.

1- What do you feel about this issue?
2- Those who took delivery of new A6 what is their observation so far?

I currently own 535i "E60" and will not move to F10 (new 535i) especially after seeing how A6 handles but your input will help.
Thanks.
Oil levels are checked electronically by the car. You can go to the "Car" section of the MMI and find it. I haven't looked at mine. I have about 800 miles on my car. I don't even think there is a dipstick. Good news is that I'm sure the car will warn you if it goes low. Scheduled oil changes are at 5000/6 months and then every 10K miles. So it certainly looks like they aren't expecting a lot of consumption. Follow the break in period. Manual suggests no high revving for first 600 miles, and then be conservative until 1K miles.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ultrahertz
Oil levels are checked electronically by the car. You can go to the "Car" section of the MMI and find it. I haven't looked at mine. I have about 800 miles on my car. I don't even think there is a dipstick. Good news is that I'm sure the car will warn you if it goes low. Scheduled oil changes are at 5000/6 months and then every 10K miles. So it certainly looks like they aren't expecting a lot of consumption. Follow the break in period. Manual suggests no high revving for first 600 miles, and then be conservative until 1K miles.
I would assume it will be similar to the B8 S4 so you might want to venture over to that forum and search for oil consumption. Also search for username DrGP on the S4 forum, who is a staunch advocate for not babying the car during the break-in period and instead following the "Motoman procedure" (I think that's what it's called). Apparently no one has had oil consumption issues if they follow that procedure rather than the factory procedure.
(I'm just stating what has been said, so I'm not the one to argue about it with).

Here's the B8 S4 forum link:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/

I also assume, like the S4, you can buy an aftermarket dipstick to replace the plug, and I would highly recommend it, and not rely on the electronic warning. You can also turn on an oil temperature display via VAG-COM and I assume that holds for the C7 A6 as well but not sure.

Also, if you do end up consuming oil and take it to the dealer, they will tell you (as will all car dealers not just Audi) that consuming up to a quart per thousand miles is "normal." Whether you agree or not, that's what they're trained to tell you.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
As far as I know, oil consumption is not a problem in the 3.0T engine. Most of the reports of high oil consumption is from the 2.0T engine.
Nope. I have 3900 miles & still full. Oil change coming @ 5000 miles.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barry626
Nope. I have 3900 miles & still full. Oil change coming @ 5000 miles.
Unless you bought a dipstick, and checked it when brand new for comaprison, you wouldn't know. You have to be down quite a bit before the electronic monitor registers.

I think part of the reason they stopped including dipsticks is because it's not uncommon to consume a bit of oil and people were coming in all the time and there's nothing they will do about it. It certainly wasn't the cost of the dipstick as the reason (probably a couple bucks in bulk).
Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks a lot for all the replies , I'll check S4 forum & recommendations. Look forward to driving this wonderful car.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Seemingly normal...

I'm just 4,994 miles on my A6, and I have to say it seems normal. I have not had a road trip to stretch out, but I will be doing that this weekend.

I have not had to add any fuel. For me a sign of burning more oil thank usual is the residue on the exhaust tips. I can say mine are still looking good. It could be that I clean my car once a week, but I should still experience heavy build it, and I have yet to to have that happen. (The only build up, I'm getting is that freaking brake dust lol)

I didn't know about the tip stick replacement so I'll try that once I get my oil changed. However I must say its not different than any of my previous cars that had no oil consumption issues.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lostnspace
I didn't know about the tip stick replacement so I'll try that once I get my oil changed.
If you find a dipstick please post where you got it. I'm old school and prefer using a rag to check oil level
Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lostnspace
I'm just 4,994 miles on my A6, and I have to say it seems normal. I have not had a road trip to stretch out, but I will be doing that this weekend.

I have not had to add any fuel. For me a sign of burning more oil thank usual is the residue on the exhaust tips. I can say mine are still looking good. It could be that I clean my car once a week, but I should still experience heavy build it, and I have yet to to have that happen. (The only build up, I'm getting is that freaking brake dust lol)

I didn't know about the tip stick replacement so I'll try that once I get my oil changed. However I must say its not different than any of my previous cars that had no oil consumption issues.
Thanks, that sounds great, I read few recommendations to drive car to Red RPM few times during break in period, did you follow that approach, most vendors recommend not taking RPM over 4000 during breakin, just curious.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 high oil consumption