Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 Approaching 45K Miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 Approaching 45K Miles

Getting close to the 45 K mile mark on my 2012 A6 3.0t. There are only a couple of issues to note (and this is based on comparing it against my former 2005 A6).

* I have the loud, squeaky brakes when coming to a slow stop. Others have mentioned the similar problem. Despite reporting it a number of times, they dealership still claims that it is a fact of life. I've read that there was a TSB that might address it but that it was pulled or is no longer available.

* I am also still not happy with the feel of the steering. I have had one or two TSBs applied which address it but the steering in the 2012 often has a feeling that it is doing more than it should. Difficult to describe the feeling but there is a sensation that the steering is either wandering or adjusting. The car does not drift at all and the alignment has been checked and all is good there. This sensation is only at highway speeds. (We also have a 2015 A6 2.0t and it does not have the same feeling.)

* The only other issue the 2012 has had was once this winter, one of the three hood latches would not latch. It may have been frozen due to a recent storm. The major issue with it is when one of the latches will not latch, the wipers are disabled! Naturally, this was also a rainy day which meant I could not even drive carefully anywhere to have it investigated. Eventually, it warmed up enough and I could work the latch so it would seat and latch completely.

Anyway, now that I'm approaching 45K and going in for service, anything else to make sure is noted or investigated?

I bought the car as a CPO so still have many more miles on the CPO warranty. Just want to make sure that I have anything possibly major looked at before the original warranty is gone.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with the steering issue. It's the only significant thing on my list of design shortcomings. I'm mostly used to it but wished it was not the case. This is the price we've paid for having the early generation of Audi electric steering. My guess is the later models have been improved. Thankfully, I've not had the squealing brake issue but this year it will be time to replace them - I'lll be installing the Okebonos, mostly for the reduced brake dust.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I agree with the steering issue. It's the only significant thing on my list of design shortcomings. I'm mostly used to it but wished it was not the case. This is the price we've paid for having the early generation of Audi electric steering. My guess is the later models have been improved. Thankfully, I've not had the squealing brake issue but this year it will be time to replace them - I'lll be installing the Okebonos, mostly for the reduced brake dust.
The best way I can describe the sensation is it feels like driving an old go cart or pushing a shopping cart with front wheels that wobble.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mine is nowhere near that bad. At highway speeds it can tend to wander a bit, especially in colder temps.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is also approaching 45K and my steering is perfect, if I go straight along a freeway it tracks very true. I always use ALA but sometimes it will remind me to "wake up" even though my hands are on the wheel. I do agree with one review that stated the choice of steering feel only changes the amount of effort required and does not change its ratio or linearity. I therefore leave the steering in Comfort.

As for the brakes - mine have never made any sound whatsoever but if they did, I would not be happy at all. There is no excuse for the brakes squealing.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Mine is nowhere near that bad. At highway speeds it can tend to wander a bit, especially in colder temps.
Do you find it is pretty much the same feel regardless of which steering wheel mode you are in, comfort or dynamic? I haven't driven much on the highway yet, only had my 2013 A6 for 2 months now, and haven't tested it in dynamic mode.

BTW, what mode do most people use for their steering wheel?

Thanks...
Old 05-13-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A bit less obvious in auto or dynamic than the comfort mode. I've settled on the auto mode as I prefer a lighter steering effort than the dynamic setting provides.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To me the steering feels like you are always driving in heavy wind conditions.

I've also given up on the brake squeal until I have to replace the pads/discs. Every time I go for a long drive the squeal will go away for a couple of days then it will come back after that.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DB22
Mine is also approaching 45K and my steering is perfect, if I go straight along a freeway it tracks very true. I always use ALA but sometimes it will remind me to "wake up" even though my hands are on the wheel.
Mine also tracks straight and true. It's merely the sensation on the steering wheel that more is going on than is necessary. What is ALA?

Originally Posted by mdkv5
To me the steering feels like you are always driving in heavy wind conditions.
That's probably a better description than my go-cart/shopping-cart one.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have posted, i have not used auto/comfort in a while... i just set it to individual set engine/transmission to comfort and everything else to dynamic.

I always feel there is something wrong when i drive another car as the steering feels super stiff.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 Approaching 45K Miles