Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 3.0T- OE Exhaust dent

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 3.0T- OE Exhaust dent

I noticed that the bend on the passenger side exhaust pipe (about a 12 inches from the exhaust tip) had a dent and a crease in the curve heading into the muffler. I hadn't run over anything that would cause such a dent. Have any of guys notice any unusual bends in your exhaust? Don't know if it came from Audi like this or was damaged in shipping. Either way will have Audi check it out when i get my 5k service. Any info from you guys may help how hard I push Audi. Don't think it is restricting that much..maybe 15% or so..thanks for your help.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WAudiA6
I noticed that the bend on the passenger side exhaust pipe (about a 12 inches from the exhaust tip) had a dent and a crease in the curve heading into the muffler. I hadn't run over anything that would cause such a dent. Have any of guys notice any unusual bends in your exhaust? Don't know if it came from Audi like this or was damaged in shipping. Either way will have Audi check it out when i get my 5k service. Any info from you guys may help how hard I push Audi. Don't think it is restricting that much..maybe 15% or so..thanks for your help.
I noticed a dent on the rear end of the exhaust and got the same question but I assumed I hit something without knowing. I am getting an exhaust anyway so I wasn't worried that much and I don't think it cause a restriction because boy that car pulls hard at all speeds and I don't notice any weird sounds from the exhaust. check with audi and tell us what's their answer. I think they are going to blame it on you specially if they see scrap marks

and just asking now (after I drove 12000km) I can hear a whiff of a whine presumably the supercharger when I hit the gas I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me or do guys hear it too?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shaikhasm
I noticed a dent on the rear end of the exhaust and got the same question but I assumed I hit something without knowing. I am getting an exhaust anyway so I wasn't worried that much and I don't think it cause a restriction because boy that car pulls hard at all speeds and I don't notice any weird sounds from the exhaust. check with audi and tell us what's their answer. I think they are going to blame it on you specially if they see scrap marks

and just asking now (after I drove 12000km) I can hear a whiff of a whine presumably the supercharger when I hit the gas I don't know if it's my mind playing tricks on me or do guys hear it too?
Thanks for your response. I see no scratches on the exhaust pipe so hopefully Audi will not try to blame me. I talked with an Audi dealer on the phone and he said "Audi's come with some interesting bends and the service department would have to compare it other A6s".

As for the whine noise you are hearing..my car has about 6500km so no whine noise..in fact the car is eerily quiet. What exhaust are you looking at buying?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Likely just the standard crush bend and normal. Most manufacturers use crush bends for exhaust piping as it is much cheaper than the alternative.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shaikhasm

I looked underneath the car & no dents I could find. The whine I was told by foreman is from supercharger. Not all cars characteristics are the same so some may exhibit it while others not. But it is there.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ynnekdude
Likely just the standard crush bend and normal. Most manufacturers use crush bends for exhaust piping as it is much cheaper than the alternative.
That's a good point with the dent and the creases it looks like a crush bend. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WAudiA6
Updated with pics...
Attached Images   
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just spoke with an Audi service adviser and sent him the pics below and he said he wouldn't be concerned and the is may generate a little back pressure. If it came from the factory that way then it was a very bad bend. I will still have Audi look at the exhaust first hand when i take it to Audi for the 5k service.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

That's not any crush bend. That was damaged by an object being pushed up against it. Likely source would be the car carrier.

I had a Olds like that. I found a big dent in the center of the gas tank when it was a couple months old. The dealer claimed that I drove over something. It screwed up the fuel pump and I ended up changing the tank several years later. It would run out of gas when it indicated a 1/8 tank.

I have never taken possession of a car since then without looking at the underside on a lift.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
That's not any crush bend. That was damaged by an object being pushed up against it. Likely source would be the car carrier.

I had a Olds like that. I found a big dent in the center of the gas tank when it was a couple months old. The dealer claimed that I drove over something. It screwed up the fuel pump and I ended up changing the tank several years later. It would run out of gas when it indicated a 1/8 tank.

I have never taken possession of a car since then without looking at the underside on a lift.
I think I would agree. I don't see Audi looking at this and saying..Ah..its good enough. We will see what Audi has to say when i take the car in for hte 5k service. Thanks for you comment.