Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

18 hours to first damage

Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 hours to first damage

A new record?

Just picked up my brand new 2014 A6 3.0 on Friday night.
My 2 year old was stomping around the back seat the next day and stepped on and snapped off the power outlet pull down. It's now just dangling by the wires.

I've been trying to figure out the name of the part and where I can get it and hopefully it's something I can fix myself.

I suspect the dealer will charge me a few hundred to fix it if I have to go that route.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by thedjm
A new record?

Just picked up my brand new 2014 A6 3.0 on Friday night.
My 2 year old was stomping around the back seat the next day and stepped on and snapped off the power outlet pull down. It's now just dangling by the wires.

I've been trying to figure out the name of the part and where I can get it and hopefully it's something I can fix myself.

I suspect the dealer will charge me a few hundred to fix it if I have to go that route.
Check to see if its actually broken. The place that installed my tint must have stepped on the outlet cover and the same thing happened-the cover was hanging out by the wires. I just snapped it back in place.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a strict no climbing/walking/moving in dada's car rule. They can scramble around in the minivan, but in the A6 I lift them in and out of the seats.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Our fix is to just not have kids
Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check with the dealer, anyway. They may fix it under warranty despite Momentary Tasmanian Devils not being specifically mentioned in the warranty materials. Doesn't cost anything to check.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by James517
Check with the dealer, anyway. They may fix it under warranty despite Momentary Tasmanian Devils not being specifically mentioned in the warranty materials. Doesn't cost anything to check.
I broke the very same piece with my foot when cleaning the inside of the back window (cleaning that window requires gymnastics skill). When I went in for service, I mentioned the access door was flopping around and they replaced it under warranty. Stuff the door back in as best you can and when in for your 5K service, just look at the service rep with sad, innocent eyes that the thing doesn't seem to be working properly and you should be good to go.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I think that it's legal if you securely mount the child seats in the trunk!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by forza1976
Our fix is to just not have kids
Exactly ;-) I don't like sharing my toys and essentially I look at my A6 as my non-existent kids college fund money.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I'll try the play-dumb @5K and see what happens. I'll report back, but it'll probably be in 6+ months. It'll take that long for me to get to 5k.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thedjm
I think I'll try the play-dumb @5K and see what happens. I'll report back, but it'll probably be in 6+ months. It'll take that long for me to get to 5k.
Why wait? You have a warranty - stop in one day and ask one of the SAs about it. The trim on my push-to-open C5 ashtray broke very early in life (maybe not 18hrs) and I just told them that it broke. They didn't ask if I beat on it (which I hadn't) just ordered the replacement part and replaced it. IMO, sooner is better than later, because it may fall under something they fix pre-delivery vs something they fix under "warranty". Plus you've got the emotional pull of "brand new car is broken"....

"I went to open it and it was hanging there like that."
I personally wouldn't stand there and insist it must have broken itself, but nor would I bring up anything beyond that. If they go with "normal wear and tear" or "you must have broken it" then:

"Sure, I guess the kids could have bumped it - I would have thought it could hold up to casual contact, but what are we talking about dollar-wise just to get it fixed."
Maybe you buy the parts and they put it in for you out of goodwill, maybe worst case you pay the half-hour labor or whatever they charge and you go on with enjoying your new car instead of being grumpy (as I would be!) about it being broken.

Best of luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 18 hours to first damage