Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ipod and Bluetooth problem

Old 07-01-2014, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod and Bluetooth problem

Hi Guys,

Today I got back my A6 from the service which upgraded the navigation and the MMI to the latest version.
Unfortunately, after checking the MMI now, I noticed exactly the same problems like before which have been very irritating and which were my main reason for the update.

1. I have been using the second SIM card in the car which takes over all the calls while the engine is on. After switching off the engine and leaving the car, the the phone in the car should turn off and all the calls should be redirect to my cell phone. Unfortunately, in my case after leaving the car, the phone in the car has still been active for the next 15-20 minutes and it takes over all incoming calls. When during this time somebody calls me I don't know about it what sometimes creates a big problems.

2. For playing the music in the car, I have been using my iPod Nano and it works great (even shows the artworks). The only thing which irritates me a lot is the fact, that almost every time the iPod starts to play the first song from the first playlist and not the song on which I ended before leaving the car. As I have quite big music library on my iPod, i takes some time to find the previous song, especially as the MMI doesn't offer the search engine (even only the first letters) and I have to do it always manually.

I hoped the the new update would fix these problems but it hadn't

My car is A6 TDI, model C7 from 2012.
The MMI version: HN+R_EU_AU_K0770

Maybe somebody can help me .....

P.S.
I tried to find these problems on this forum but without any success.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no phone in the car, the SIM card is for Audi Connect. Phones work through Bluetooth.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doll00
Hi Guys,

Today I got back my A6 from the service which upgraded the navigation and the MMI to the latest version.
Unfortunately, after checking the MMI now, I noticed exactly the same problems like before which have been very irritating and which were my main reason for the update.

1. I have been using the second SIM card in the car which takes over all the calls while the engine is on. After switching off the engine and leaving the car, the the phone in the car should turn off and all the calls should be redirect to my cell phone. Unfortunately, in my case after leaving the car, the phone in the car has still been active for the next 15-20 minutes and it takes over all incoming calls. When during this time somebody calls me I don't know about it what sometimes creates a big problems.

2. For playing the music in the car, I have been using my iPod Nano and it works great (even shows the artworks). The only thing which irritates me a lot is the fact, that almost every time the iPod starts to play the first song from the first playlist and not the song on which I ended before leaving the car. As I have quite big music library on my iPod, i takes some time to find the previous song, especially as the MMI doesn't offer the search engine (even only the first letters) and I have to do it always manually.

I hoped the the new update would fix these problems but it hadn't

My car is A6 TDI, model C7 from 2012.
The MMI version: HN+R_EU_AU_K0770

Maybe somebody can help me .....

P.S.
I tried to find these problems on this forum but without any success.
Since your car is in Europe, the SIM and bluetooth mirroring are options not available for NA cars.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
Since your car is in Europe, the SIM and bluetooth mirroring are options not available for NA cars.
Sorry guys, I didn't know that in case of phone Audi offers different options for Europe and NA cars.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry guys, I didn't know that in case of phone Audi offers different options for Europe and NA cars.
Yes, but we're (ok, I am) quite interested in how the SIM works - do you mean there are 2 SIM slots in your MMI? Do you have a physical phone handset in the car?

I thought the handset took over your phone's SIM via SAP (a Bluetooth profile) but this doesn't sound like what's happening, can you give a detailed breakdown of how this works?

Do you have VCDS or access to someone with it?
Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Yes, but we're (ok, I am) quite interested in how the SIM works - do you mean there are 2 SIM slots in your MMI? Do you have a physical phone handset in the car?

I thought the handset took over your phone's SIM via SAP (a Bluetooth profile) but this doesn't sound like what's happening, can you give a detailed breakdown of how this works?

It works quite simple and I even had the same in my old volvo V70

I have only one slot for SIM card and it works as a separate phone which starts working after switching on the ignition.
As this SIM card is in fact a duplicate of my SIM card from the cell phone, it shows the same ID when you call somebody. You just need to set with the provider that the SIM card in Audi has the priority so that after switching on the ignition all calls are first direct to this card.
After switching off the ignition all the calls are redirect to the second SIM card in the cell phone. This is how it works.

Unfortunately in my case, after switching off the ignition, I think the power (voltage) has still been prowided to the car phone for next 15-20 minuts that's why all the calls have still been directed to the SIM card in the car.

I thought the handset took over your phone's SIM via SAP (a Bluetooth profile).....
It's not necessery, the car phone only synchronize the phone book from the cell phone everytime and check if something has changed. After a few seconds it switches off the bluetooth connection and starts working separately.

No, sorry..
Old 07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have only one slot for SIM card and it works as a separate phone which starts working after switching on the ignition.
As this SIM card is in fact a duplicate of my SIM card from the cell phone, it shows the same ID when you call somebody. You just need to set with the provider that the SIM card in Audi has the priority so that after switching on the ignition all calls are first direct to this card.
After switching off the ignition all the calls are redirect to the second SIM card in the cell phone. This is how it works.

Unfortunately in my case, after switching off the ignition, I think the power (voltage) has still been prowided to the car phone for next 15-20 minuts that's why all the calls have still been directed to the SIM card in the car.
Ah I see, interesting. I don't think US carriers offer the "two SIM cards, one line of service" option, but I can see where it would be cool.

When you switch off MMI, does service go immediately over to your mobile phone?

If you pop the SIM card out of the MMI, does service go immediately over to your mobile phone?

Do you have any MMI menus relating to the phone when the 2nd SIM is in and active?

The first 2 questions should establish for sure whether it's a car or cell service provider issue and give us some ideas on where to look.

Unfortunately a lot of what we know about MMI tweaking requires VCDS or at least access to the hidden menus, which needs VCDS to enable....
Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

When you switch off MMI, does service go immediately over to your mobile phone?
Yes, it should work this way but in my case there is 15 - 20 minutes delay in redirecting the calls to the mobile phone and during these 20 minutes my car still answers the calls but I don't know about it as I already left the car. This is the only problem i have.

If you pop the SIM card out of the MMI, does service go immediately over to your mobile phone?
Yes, but you don't need to take the SIM card out of the MMI. You just have to switch off the ignition and at the same time the car phone should turn off .
As a consequence all the calls are directed to my mobile phone.
It's very simple and very convenient, you even don't need to take every time you mobile phone with you to the car, as you can always use this one from your car, as automatically after switching on the ignition the car phone takes over all the calls.

Do you have any MMI menus relating to the phone when the 2nd SIM is in and active?
yes, there is completely menu in MMI which allow you to set the most important things and is similar to the cell phone one.

The first 2 questions should establish for sure whether it's a car or cell service provider issue and give us some ideas on where to look.

Unfortunately a lot of what we know about MMI tweaking requires VCDS or at least access to the hidden menus, which needs VCDS to enable....
This is for sure a car problem but nobody cares about such details in Audi.
I hoped they would fix it in the latest software but they didn't.
As I mentioned before, I had the same functionality in my old Volvo V70 and it was working great already 10 years ago.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, it should work this way but in my case there is 15 - 20 minutes delay in redirecting the calls to the mobile phone and during these 20 minutes my car still answers the calls but I don't know about it as I already left the car. This is the only problem i have.
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear - I intended these as tests you would do. I understand the behavior you describe in normal use, the idea is to do some experimentation and pin down the details to get to WHY it is that you have a 15-20 minute window of no mobile service after shutting off the car.

1) Go out to car, sit in car, with ignition on (in "Accessory" mode so engine off but MMI, etc powered on). Turn on MMI and confirm it's working as your phone - call your # with a different phone LINE. Turn off MMI by pressing the volume/power switch on MMI, leaving car in same mode, call your # again and confirm it rings to your phone and NOT the car.

2) Go out to car, sit in car, with ignition on (in "Accessory" mode so engine off but MMI, etc powered on). Turn on MMI and confirm it's working as your phone - call your # with a different phone LINE. Pop the SIM out of the MMI, leaving car in same mode, call your # again and confirm it rings to your phone and NOT the car.

If either doesn't work immediately, wait 1 minute and retry, repeating 15-20 times if necessary until it does.

In hindsight I'd probably do #2 first - because it removes the car from the handover equation entirely.

What you're trying to establish is that Audi's not handing the phone off.

A) Test #2 proves that *IF* service immediately (or let's say within 1 minute) switches over to your phone. If on the other hand #2 does NOT work, then you have a problem with your mobile phone provider and you should go to them for resolution. (And now you have a really easy way to show them what's not working.)

B) If #2 works as expected and #1 does NOT, then you've got Audi keeping power to the MMI "phone" when the system has been explicitly turned off by the user. I'd bring that to my dealer and demonstrate that it's clearly not functioning correctly.

C) If #2 works as expected and #1 does also (hands off as soon as you turn MMI off) then the MMI "phone" is keeping itself powered up after the *CAR* is off, because you didn't explicitly turn MMI off. If this is the case, I'd still take it to my dealer and demonstrate it as not working as desired. There is a hidden menu option to control how long MMI stays on after the car is off, perhaps that will help or perhaps your dealer has some other workaround. In any case, you'd know that turning MMI off when you exit the car would "fix" the problem temporarily.

In my opinion, either these tests will point out exactly what's not working *OR* give you a simple and reproducible way to show your Audi dealer what the problem is. You current complaint is likely too vague for a car technician to solve because s/he doesn't generally know how to troubleshoot electronics.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Richard, if you turn the car off, get out and lock it, doesn't that kill the "delayed power" to everything including the cars' SIM irrelevant of delay set in the hidden menu?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ipod and Bluetooth problem