Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 230k

Not a C7 A6, but an '05 C6 A6.. but my Audi tech would say the new ones are even better. I have 230,000+ on my A6 3.2. Oil Changes every 10k, brake fluid flush every two years, spark plugs at normal intervals, serpentine belt at normal intervals, etc. The only items outside of normal maintenance were an ABS module at 186k and control arm bushings along the way (mag chloride in Colo eats up the rubber). Techron fuel additive once a month, drive it like you stole it, no carbon problems ever. It is as solid, tight and squeak free as when it was new.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to hear about a long lived 3.2 as they are a bit more known for carbon buildup. Again, just shows that if you take care of them, they will continue to run very well.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Calimus - Does your car have full LED headlight? I'm wondering as the car ages, does the LED hold up better than standard light.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlueSander
@Calimus - Does your car have full LED headlight? I'm wondering as the car ages, does the LED hold up better than standard light.
Yes it does. LEDs are holding up great. No change in brightness that I've noticed.

Changing the front brakes tomorrow. I'll swap out the rears after the holidays. Already have my oil, filters and plugs as I'm about 2k miles away from the next service. Might do it sooner though.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Calimus your high mileage reports are very encouraging -- hopefully we all are as lucky with our C7s. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks! My previous A6 (2002 2.7T) made it to over 200k before I had to part ways with it. At that time I had just changed jobs and I didn't have the time to pull the motor & trans to replace the turbo's. So she had to go.

Now this one is on a rapid trip to 200k land. Just wrapped up replacing the front brakes. Man, those are some monster disc-pads. Very easy job, took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish.

Tools Needed:
17mm socket - For the lugs
T45 - Screw that holds the caliper anti-rattle spring
9mm Hex - for the 2 caliper bolts
1 large C clamp - to compress the pistons while the old brake pad is in there

That all you need. Oh, well, that and new brake pads.

Flipped 119k this week as well. Looking more like I'll hit a grand total of 34k miles traveled this year.

Last edited by Calimus; 11-22-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I ordered some maintenance parts (air filters, oil filters and cabin air filter) from an Audi dealer on line a couple of weeks ago. I confess, I ordered an Audi Sport license plate frame as well -- couldn't resist and looks cool.

Coming over from Honda/Acura I was pleasantly surprised. Parts costs were not much more than my old Acura TL and about the same as my wife's Volvo S80T6. Between the first oil change courtesy of Audi, Audi Care at 15, 25, 35 and 45K and my planned 5K oil changes between the Audi Care visits the first 50K with this car should be painless. Loving the car so far.

Calimus, keep the reports coming and thanks again!

Best,
Jeff
Old 11-22-2015, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Calimus
Thanks! My previous A6 (2002 2.7T) made it to over 200k before I had to part ways with it. At that time I had just changed jobs and I didn't have the time to pull the motor & trans to replace the turbo's. So she had to go.

Now this one is on a rapid trip to 200k land. Just wrapped up replacing the front brakes. Man, those are some monster disc-pads. Very easy job, took me about 1.5 hours from start to finish.

Tools Needed:
17mm socket - For the lugs
T45 - Screw that holds the caliper anti-rattle spring
9mm Hex - for the 2 caliper bolts
1 large C clamp - to compress the pistons while the old brake pad is in there

That all you need. Oh, well, that and new brake pads.

Flipped 119k this week as well. Looking more like I'll hit a grand total of 34k miles traveled this year.
What's your take on replacing rotors at 35,000 miles assuming they look good? I don't buy the dealer's "recommendation" of replacing them.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any rotor that needs to be replaced @ 35k intervals doesn't need to be on a sub 250k car. My rotors are fine and I've almost put 35k on the car this year alone. There's a bit of a lip at the edge and if I had the right equipment, I might have turned it down. However, in this case it's not going to hurt anything and I'll prollie get a set of "Adam's Rotors" at the next change of the brakes.

Keep in mind that the dealer has a few motives for making that replacement.

1. Money - They get to charge for the part and for the "man hours" (all 15min) it takes to swap them out.

2. safety - Not for you, for them. You can't sue and win if they change all the wear items every time they do a brake job. Nothing left to replace, you can't say they didn't do everything they could have.

This is how I see it, others may have a different opinion. As long as your brake system is functioning correctly, there shouldn't be any reason the rotors need replacement that often. We aren't drive Veyron's and the rotors aren't made from imported silk. They are vented rotors and can take a lot of abuse.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your input. On my other cars (mostly German cars), I've never replaced rotors at 35k. None of them have seen the track either.

Quick Reply: 100K+ club - Who's already there and how are they holding up?