Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

[B]Anyone else having these problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [B]Anyone else having these problem?

2012 Audi A6 Prestige less then 20k miles on car.

Anyone else having problem with the Dynamic Steering having changed (much less torque) after the update to get rid of the hitch in the steering or the MMI freezing-up (while backing), or radio problems?

I was told by the “Service Foreman” at one of my dealers, they know about the Dynamic Steering losing most of the torque after the update has been applied but they do not have a fix.

He told me a number of folks have been refusing the update as there is some talk about it online and folks don’t want to lose the Dynamic Steering.

Also, anyone else having difficulties with the MMI freezing temporally at times?

I have been working through AUDI America, Executive Service folks and two dealerships to try and get these issues resolved….no luck.

Unfortunately, my new (2012 Audi A6 with less than 20k miles) still has these problems and Audi is not able to correct them.

My MMI still freezes at times (most recent, 1:34 pm today while backing into my spot at the office), the Dynamic Steering still has significantly diminished torque (since the steering update), the seatbelt does not tighten and my radio still echoes and cuts-out at times.

After one letter to Scott Keogh, four trips to the dealer (two different dealers, two different states), two special appointments with the Regional Field Service Manager…as of this afternoon the recommendation from the Audi of America Executive Service groups is… “Take it to a dealer, let them look at it”….argh!!!

At first both dealers told me they had never heard of the problems I was mentioning.

So I hunted-down the TSBs and sent them to the dealer. I also took the online Audi Course for the steering assembly and found out Audi knows the J5oo module is not coding properly after the update. I mentioned this to the folks at Audi and they discarded (until the Service Foreman told me the truth).

Below are the TSBs that may address the issues. As I have mentioned, I have brought my Audi to two different dealers in two states and they are still unable to fix the problems.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know if anyone else is having these problems….

Date: 2012-06-20 Bulletin #: TSB-91-12-42

Compenent: 350000 EQUIPMENT

AUDI: BACK UP CAMERA IMAGE IS INCORRECT OR OFF, TOO BRIGHT, TOO DARK, FUZZY, DISTORTED OR OPAQUE. MODELS AUDI Q5, Q7, A4, A5, A5 CABRIOLET (2009-14), A5, S5 (2008-14), A8 (2010-14) AND A6 (2011-14). *PE

Date: 2012-10-22 Bulletin #: TSB-48-12-33

Compenent: 010000 STEERING

AUDI: UNIT CAN NOT BE CODED AFTER REPLACING ELECTROMECHANICAL STEERING CONTROL UNITS (J500) VIA SVM SPEC/ACTUAL. MODELS 2011-2013 A4, A5, A5 CABRIOLET, A6, A7. *PE

Date: 2012-05-29 Bulletin #: TSB-96-12-34

Compenent: 135000 VISIBILITY:REARVIEW MIRRORS/DEVICES

AUDI: WHEN SELECTING REVERSE GEAR, THE PICTURE OF REARVIEW CAMERA FAILS TO APPEAR, SPORADICALLY. CERTAIN MODELS, CAMERA IMAGE CAN BE RE=ACTIVATED. MODEL YEARS 2008-2013. *PE
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned

I have 91-12-42 on my 2013. Dealer wants me to bring it in. I need an MMI update anyway, so I'll get it there probably next week. Not sure about the rest since I'm still using old software.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

For the steering issue, the right place to discuss this is https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2852758. After reading through the 157 posts you will know that it's either worse or better after the update and many of us declined to get it so far. There is also a discussion on the German forum motor-talk.de with more than 1150 replies on this topic (http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/lenku...-t4363609.html).
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
For the steering issue, the right place to discuss this is https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2852758. After reading through the 157 posts you will know that it's either worse or better after the update and many of us declined to get it so far. There is also a discussion on the German forum motor-talk.de with more than 1150 replies on this topic (http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/lenku...-t4363609.html).
My "solution" to the steering problem post-update has been to put the steering in "Auto" mode instead of Dynamic. When the weather got really cold here in MA, the steering in Dynamic mode got noticeably worse on the highway. I literally could not keep the car on center to the point it felt unsafe to drive in that mode. I switched to Auto and at least the car doesn't drift off-center.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dwboston
My "solution" to the steering problem post-update has been to put the steering in "Auto" mode instead of Dynamic.
The better option IMO - don't get the update done. Why give up the loss of dynamic steering. Make Audi know you are unhappy with their proposed solution
Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick61
The better option IMO - don't get the update done. Why give up the loss of dynamic steering. Make Audi know you are unhappy with their proposed solution
I will do that. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dwboston
My "solution" to the steering problem post-update has been to put the steering in "Auto" mode instead of Dynamic. When the weather got really cold here in MA, the steering in Dynamic mode got noticeably worse on the highway. I literally could not keep the car on center to the point it felt unsafe to drive in that mode. I switched to Auto and at least the car doesn't drift off-center.
I'm going to try this. You are experiencing EXACTLY what I just experienced driving 6 hours in dynamic mode from the mountains. It constantly required straight line correction and at times it felt like wind was blowing the car as to some of the corrections I had to make. When the car tramlines it feels like it's fighting itself to self correct. I'll try AUTO and see if that helps. and yes, I did get the steering update done.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sickler
I'm going to try this. You are experiencing EXACTLY what I just experienced driving 6 hours in dynamic mode from the mountains. It constantly required straight line correction and at times it felt like wind was blowing the car as to some of the corrections I had to make. When the car tramlines it feels like it's fighting itself to self correct. I'll try AUTO and see if that helps. and yes, I did get the steering update done.
So yeah, going to AUTO mode for steering made a big difference but of course, now it's way to light for my taste but I'll keep it in auto rather than fight the car in dynamic mode.