A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Thinking about "upgrading" to RS6 from the Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 05:26 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 358 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Thinking about "upgrading" to RS6 from the Allroad

So, I'm thinking of trading our 2021 A6 Allroad in for an RS6. Don't get me wrong, the A6 Allroad is an excellent car. But the lure of the RS6 is very strong. Terrible financial decision and I really should be waiting for an electric version but I kind of don't care. I love the idea of two RS's parked in our garage. As it is, I tend to drive the RS5 more than the Allroad roughly 4 out of 5 times I go somewhere, maybe more. With an RS6 in the stable, that ration would flip. I'm a long roof enthusiast, I can admit it. The biggest hurdle will be convincing my better half, and in my case, she truly is the better half (yes, I out-kicked my coverage when I found and married her! I'm a lucky fella). Confidence is high.

So, assuming all goes as hoped and planned, what kind of ordering turn around times are people experiencing? Are dealerships price gouging for these cars still? As much as I want an RS6, I'm not willing to overspend for one. Its already expensive enough.

Someone talk me out of it? Should I just keep the Allroad?
The following users liked this post:
1998993c2s (03-23-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yea.

Being a long roof guy myself (still daily a B5 S4 Avant) the RS6 Avant is very appealing. I kind of feel that AoA brought the wrong Avant. If it was the RS4, I would be driving one. I think if you find the right spec’d car at the right price, go for it. I kind of feel like these will be our last hurrah with an ICE car, and a EV Avant is 3-4 years away?
1998993c2s (03-23-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Unless you can find a new one at a dealer not in a major city I’d plan on paying market adjustments…. Used market is even worse… I just had our Navi totaled and this market suuuuuuucks. Even gmc is charging MAs on Yukons here in St Louis. Crazy. I have yet to pay msrp for a vehicle and I’m going to try to keep my record but it’s going to be damn near impossible considering I have a week.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm with you on this!, that RS6 is so amazing. Issue is (as noted already) the low inventory and crazy market adjustments out there. In a normal supply environment, would say go for it - but today is absolutely upside-down crazy. I went to discuss trading my current A6 Allroad Prem Plus with a "In Transit" Prestige I saw on their website just to get the double paned windows, heated/cooled seats and the ambient lighting I really wanted - and dealer basically told me to go away. The "In Transit" was sold, and he'd gladly take my factory order with (and I quote)....

"a $5000 surcharge on the order"

Thank you, I'll gladly drive what I have without the cooled seats and lighting. Good luck with your search, keep us posted...
Old 01-17-2022, 03:45 AM
Club AutoUnion

So....it would seem that there is rampant overcharging going on. The used market is particularly wacky. Any seller has the right to price their car wherever they want. It just seems ridiculous to ask $20k over original sticker for a car with over 5k miles on the odometer. For this reason, my search will be severely impaired. I'm not willing to pay that much of a premium even on a new car, let alone a previously owned one. This "project" may be dead in the water before it even leaves the dock.

Besides, it not like our A6 Allroad is POS. I happened to be in our RS5 on the way home when my better half appeared behind me in our Allroad. I got to see it in action from a different perspective. I have to say, it looks pretty darn good.

...and yet, the lure of a twin turbo under the hood is powerful indeed.
1998993c2s (03-23-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I may offer an unsolicited, ‘wildcard’ suggestion: if you’re very keen on that “last-of-an-era German turbo V8” experience, would you be willing to temporarily forego having it in a wagon? If so, why not tell these “Market Adjusting” Audi dealers to take a hike, forget the RS6, and instead consider a nicely depreciated CPO M5? Autotrader shows them starting @ $82k. That's not chump-change, but in the context of those RS6 markups, it would seem to be a bargain! I love a sporty wagon as much as anyone else - they're all I've driven for the past decade - but acknowledging this insane current market, for my money, that’s what I’d do. Bonus: throw a nice Thule box on there, and you’d have a seriously cool ski-mobile. And then in 3 years or so when Audi releases their EPA 500 mile RS6 EV (I mean, we can dream!) you’ll be ready for that.

Last edited by powder11s; 01-17-2022 at 12:18 PM.
1998993c2s (03-23-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 03:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by powder11s
If I may offer an unsolicited, ‘wildcard’ suggestion: if you’re very keen on that “last-of-an-era German turbo V8” experience, would you be willing to temporarily forego having it in a wagon? If so, why not tell these “Market Adjusting” Audi dealers to take a hike, forget the RS6, and instead consider a nicely depreciated CPO M5? Autotrader shows them starting @ $82k. That's not chump-change, but in the context of those RS6 markups, it would seem to be a bargain! I love a sporty wagon as much as anyone else - they're all I've driven for the past decade - but acknowledging this insane current market, for my money, that’s what I’d do. Bonus: throw a nice Thule box on there, and you’d have a seriously cool ski-mobile. And then in 3 years or so when Audi releases their EPA 500 mile RS6 EV (I mean, we can dream!) you’ll be ready for that.
All good, I was looking for others to throw in their thoughts. Would be pretty lame of me to post on a public forum, then get pissy when people respond with their opinions. At one time, I was very keen on the M5 (was on a BMW "kick" and was driving a 335xi...). I've since returned to the Audi fold, obviously, and in particular my near obsession with the long roof form. I drove what I considered to be an under powered A4 Allroad for nearly 8 years thanks to the love of the Audi wagon design (in fact, went to great lengths to address the power issue, with just about every mod there was short of meth injection). In fact my first Audi was an original U.S. market A6 based Allroad in the early 2000s. Audi wagon designs are the best in the world IMO.

The next new car I get will most likely be the last, quite honestly. The clock is ticking I'm afraid. I'd love to be able to wait for the unicorn you describe, a 500 mile range electric Audi super wagon, not an SUV, but a bonafide long roof that looks good. But my time horizon is only ~3 years give or take. Here I'll pause for a mini rant about alternative energy source automotive designs. Its almost as though auto makers have historically gone out of their way to make them fugly as possible. The Prius, for example. Yikes! Thankfully, this is changing, finally, with many current and near term electric cars that are not just "normal" looking, but awesome. OK, back to the originally scheduled programming...

So, waiting for Audi to create the real Tesla killer in both range, performance, and design isn't really an option. I want to go out riding around in my dream car, which right now is a Florett Silver black line RS6, moderately lowered, black aftermarket 22" wheels (design TBD), Euro sweeping lights, our sticker festooned roof box on top. A few other goodies added on...a tune maybe. Well, not exactly while driving, but you get the picture.

I reserve the right to course correct should some intrepid genius come up with a cure for what ails me...until then, I remain obsessed with an RS6. But not at ridiculous mark ups over original MSRP. I'm not to stick my wife with an anchor once I'm gone. I get it, there is a shortage. I can "suffer" along with "just" the A6 Allroad...
The following 2 users liked this post by PWDRSKR:
1998993c2s (03-23-2022), michaeljk1963 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
All good, I was looking for others to throw in their thoughts. Would be pretty lame of me to post on a public forum, then get pissy when people respond with their opinions. At one time, I was very keen on the M5 (was on a BMW "kick" and was driving a 335xi...). I've since returned to the Audi fold, obviously, and in particular my near obsession with the long roof form. I drove what I considered to be an under powered A4 Allroad for nearly 8 years thanks to the love of the Audi wagon design (in fact, went to great lengths to address the power issue, with just about every mod there was short of meth injection). In fact my first Audi was an original U.S. market A6 based Allroad in the early 2000s. Audi wagon designs are the best in the world IMO.

The next new car I get will most likely be the last, quite honestly. The clock is ticking I'm afraid. I'd love to be able to wait for the unicorn you describe, a 500 mile range electric Audi super wagon, not an SUV, but a bonafide long roof that looks good. But my time horizon is only ~3 years give or take. Here I'll pause for a mini rant about alternative energy source automotive designs. Its almost as though auto makers have historically gone out of their way to make them fugly as possible. The Prius, for example. Yikes! Thankfully, this is changing, finally, with many current and near term electric cars that are not just "normal" looking, but awesome. OK, back to the originally scheduled programming...

So, waiting for Audi to create the real Tesla killer in both range, performance, and design isn't really an option. I want to go out riding around in my dream car, which right now is a Florett Silver black line RS6, moderately lowered, black aftermarket 22" wheels (design TBD), Euro sweeping lights, our sticker festooned roof box on top. A few other goodies added on...a tune maybe. Well, not exactly while driving, but you get the picture.

I reserve the right to course correct should some intrepid genius come up with a cure for what ails me...until then, I remain obsessed with an RS6. But not at ridiculous mark ups over original MSRP. I'm not to stick my wife with an anchor once I'm gone. I get it, there is a shortage. I can "suffer" along with "just" the A6 Allroad...
Wow – it is safe to say you have considered all angles on this - right on! Audi wagons really are the prettiest out there, and as ever, I wish they brought even more of them over, but as I think you wrote elsewhere, it’s a small miracle they sell the 3 here that they do.

It is indeed a shame EV’s aren’t prettier, but here’s hoping we the consumers, voting with our wallets, will force OEM’s to make them so. FWIW I thought the E-tron (the one from a few years ago that looks like a smaller Q7) was just about perfect, proportion-wise.

I got passed by a chalk Taycan Cross Turismo over the weekend, and it was gorgeous from the side and rear (I don’t love the front). And then there’s this bad boy, not sure if you’ve seen it: https://www.motor1.com/news/558622/a...te-renderings/, though that one still seems to be very much in the ‘vaporware’ category.

Final wildcard, and no idea how CAN -> US importation works, but…maybe? https://www.autotrader.ca/a/audi/rs%...=1_8_8&sprx=-1

Old 01-18-2022, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

@powder11s I really like the "chalk" color that Porsche offers. It would be cool if Audi did even as a special color if need be.

The market is crazy. I did a general search for A6 allroads and spoke to a number of dealers. Many of the cars I called on were sold but a few were still available. I happened into working with a dealer who was able to obtain a vehicle and is selling it for MSRP. The only reason I am moving forward is in this market I guess that is doing OK and my current car has 200k miles on it and facing around 8k in repairs, most if which is labor. I debated what to do and felt that there was no telling what else could go wrong with my current car and decided to take the plunge. Hopefully the right choice at the end of the day.

srbbass (01-23-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 02:52 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by linndude
@powder11s I really like the "chalk" color that Porsche offers. It would be cool if Audi did even as a special color if need be.

The market is crazy. I did a general search for A6 allroads and spoke to a number of dealers. Many of the cars I called on were sold but a few were still available. I happened into working with a dealer who was able to obtain a vehicle and is selling it for MSRP. The only reason I am moving forward is in this market I guess that is doing OK and my current car has 200k miles on it and facing around 8k in repairs, most if which is labor. I debated what to do and felt that there was no telling what else could go wrong with my current car and decided to take the plunge. Hopefully the right choice at the end of the day.
This somewhat mirrors my experience a year ago when I started looking for our Allroad. I posted the experience here. Bottom line, I had to take matters into my own hands, and with a little help from an awesome salesman, found my unicorn a few states away. And now I'm thinking of repeating the exercise, this time with an RS6. Maybe I'm crazy...or at least unrealistic.

Quick Reply: Thinking about "upgrading" to RS6 from the Allroad