A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Michelin CrossClimate 2s for A6 Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin CrossClimate 2s for A6 Allroad

I'm considering the CrossClimate 2s for my A6 Allroad. Wondering what feedback others have re: mounting this set (or other "all weather" tires) on the A6AR.
Old 04-20-2024, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have any direct experience, but most people seem happy with the CrossClimates. Pirelli makes the highly-rated Scorpion WeatherActive, which plays in the same 3PMSF all-weather class. Unfortunately Pirelli doesn't offer it in the Allroad's stock size, so you'd have to go with a different fitment. (255/45R20's should work fine on the stock wheels with minimal impact on speedometer accuracy.) I have the Scorpion WeatherActive in 275's on 20" aftermarket wheels. It's early, but my initial impressions are very positive. Tire Rack's customers seem to like it a lot as well.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default I'm a big fan!

Performance the past two winters on my A6 Allroad, sure felt like a Central European / “Performance” winter tire. This included a memorable morning when I was driving out early to direct a ski mountaineering race on an epic powder day. Only other vehicles on the roads were the four P: participants in the race, patrollers for the race, plow trucks, and police cruisers.

On the dry, perhaps at the limits it underperforms compared to the very best performance-oriented all-season tires. But I’m definitely not testing those limits!

Rolling resistance, on the A6, at first my records indicated a noticeable mpg hit compared to the OEM Continental ProContact TX. But I switched over at about the same time as the switch to winter gas. Plus my driving habits changed a bit last fall. Looking at a more comparable period for this year, my records indicate a hit of less than 1% (specifically, 0.6%). Even if it’s more than that, it’s still … small. Noise and comfort, definitely not quite as good as the TX, but that TX also had lots of squishy foam on the inside. (I was pretty surprised to see what it’s like when I took them off and saved them for resale.)

On the Taycan 4CT, I’ve been trying to tease out the data so far to detect any range hit compared to the OEM Michelin summer tires. The problem is that I switched over at the same time as temperatures dropped, which has a huge hit on EV range. I’ll get a better idea during summer 2024.

Comfort compared to OEM, I don’t detect any difference. Noise, might be noticing a bit more in the rear, although if so, then it’s a subtle difference, and more like because I’m trying to hard to notice a difference!

Oh, looks, yeah, that tread sure is funny! But I think it fits in well with the image of any vehicle called something like ALLROAD or CROSS Turismo, heh.

Overall, the only significant drawback is that Michelin realizes it doesn’t have any significant drawbacks and hence charges accordingly! For anyone who needs more winter performance than an all-season tire and doesn’t want a Nordic / Studless tire (and anyone who lives in the Northeast with all our winter wet roads, and who lives on a paved plowed road), it’s the perfect year-round solution.