A6 allroad (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi A6 allroad produced from 2020

Having had 2 Allroads and an A6 Avant, how does the Q8 or SQ8 compare in ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Having had 2 Allroads and an A6 Avant, how does the Q8 or SQ8 compare in ride?

I may upgrade my A4 allroad to an A6 allroad soon. I use to have an A6 Avant which had a really nice ride for long distance cruising.
I was wondering if the Audi Q8 or SQ8 can compare to the nice ride of the A6 allroad. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an A6 Allroad now and previously had a Q8. They are both lovely to drive. I prefer the lower seating position of the AR. Sometimes, mostly highway/heavy traffic areas, I miss the height of the Q8 in the sea of trucks and SUV's from a sightline/safety aspect. That being said, I love the Allroad and would pick it over the Q8.
Old 07-28-2023, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Interestingly, I've watched a few reviews recently that commented unfavorably about the ride quality in the Q8. Could be an anomaly i suppose. Often, though, SUVs don't ride as well as their car siblings just because the suspension is often tuned to be stiffer to counteract the greater tendency for body roll plus the wheels tend to bigger/heavier (and unsprung weight is also the enemy of ride quality). But Audi tends to be very good at ride quality so my guess is if you tried a properly sorted Q8 against a similar A6 the ride should be fairly similar. That being said, I was blown away by how good the ride quality was of the A6 Allroad was during my test drive; can't think of another car that rode that well
Old 07-30-2023, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
Default It's a win win...

In my experience S cars are always more focused and stiffer compared to the As. There is zero question the SQ7 is stiffer than the A6 Allroad. Not only the suspension tuning but also the seats make a bigger difference than one might expect. The A6 seats feel downright pillow like after getting out of the SQ sport seats. My SQ has the sport package with the hydrologic swaybars, I have yet to compare to the non sport pack back to back so I don't know the difference there.

You really have to ask yourself what you use the vehicle for. Are you in a city setting? Near the mountains? Out in the country with lovely back roads that you can open it up? Lots of long hauls? Will you ever need to tow?

Personally, unless you really need the space (and refuse to run a roof box), or need towing capacity... the A6 wins in every category minus back roads. If they still offered the AWS in the Allroad that differential would be even less. If you can keep your foot out of them the A6 will get 10+ mpg better on the highway than my SQ7 with all of wizardry and cyl deactivation etc...

My wife and I split the two cars and unless I'm towing or going for a spirited drive with friends... I'm choosing the A6.

I have to preface this with I have another vehicle that tickles all the senses and scratches the car guy itch. If I were looking for a one car solution, and 90s milage doesn't make you balk... The SQ7 is one of the best all rounders I have come across. Also if you are one to tinker, the benefits are pretty staggering.

Either way you are going to enjoy it, one is more reserved and a comfortable cruiser. And the other is a brute force bruiser. That thanks to air suspension, is in no way punishing (other than at the pump).
​​​​​​
​​​​