Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

about to place my order: few questions for owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to place my order: few questions for owners

Im about to place my order for my s5
Phantom black with mustang brown interior w/
every option.
I have a few questions.
Does the navigation have and SD memory slot or is it just the mp3 hookup in the glove box?
also, do i have to special order that hookup?
Does the navigation cd go in the glove box as well?

Reading from some previous posts i see that some reporting the 19" tires as being "unforgiving"
I am wondering how much this is really true.
Overall, I want a smooth ride with performance
which is why im getting rid of my M3.
All the performance with 0 ride quality.
How is the ride quality with the s5 and along with the road noise as well?

Thanks for the help guys.
looking forward to getting my s5
Old 09-07-2007, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nav+ will give you 2 SD Card slots behind the screen.

The Nav CD will also go behind the Nav Screen in the single CD slot just above the SD Card Slots.

THe 6 CD changer is in the Glove Compartment.

If you want an MPE/IPod hook up I believe you can order it seperate.

IMO I would skip the IPOD hook up. The read out is very bad and your much better off just using the SD Card slots for your MP3s as they can hold 2 2GB cards. That way you can have your CDs and also your MP3s on the SD cards...it will display the way you want it to on the MMI screen using SD Cards vs that of the ipod connection.

Also, if I understand correctly, when you order the Nav+ you have to choose either 6 CD or Ipod Prep to go with it. Dont sacrafice the 6 CD for a poorly designed I Pod prep.

Have the best of both words, 6CD + the SD Card Slots and save some cash at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

you can get the s5 with nav+ instead of MMI ?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 AM

Default either the set up in the US is very different......

.....or that information is badly out

I have an A5 with navigation. the cd changer is in the centre console just above the climate controls. The screen is at the top of the dash, and doesnt come out to reveal any slots

the media interface is in the glovebox - all the above is standard as part of the nav system, whilst the media interface is about £200. the interface consists of a slot with a covering flap, for which you can buy one of four leads, one being ipod, one being usb male, one being usb female, and one being 3mm jack (for the headphone socket of a portable device)

it also comes with a slide out rubbery tray for putting the device on, whilst the lead is a dealer option which costs £20

the screen is bloody brilliant! it fully replicates the ipod screen, using the mmi controller to access playlists, artists, skip tracks, rewind, etc

within the media option accesses from the button on the centre console, you choose from cd changer & ipod - it is older audi interfaces which make you choose one or the other

hope this helps
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 AM

PS the nav DVD (not CD) sits in the boot
Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it could be a very diffrent set up to the USA...or the A5 might be just totally diffrent the the set

up in the A4, TT, etc.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 AM

Default it is MUCH improved over the A4, TT, etc

in the Uk you have to choose between CD or ipod on those other cars

DVD is the only way for any modern sat nav system

and remember those other cars have no B&O option, I say tht not cos it's relevant to sat nav, but to illustrate the A5 has a whole new set-up and interface along with the new chassis, to mark the way forward for forthcoming audis - it really is a ground up new car
Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The TT is similar in that way...

you chose between the CD or IPod prep.

Also, I would argue the Chasis on the TT by use of Audi Space Frame and a majority of aluminum keeping the weight to barely 3000 lbs makes it preety damn special itself, not to mention the best handling Audi I have ever driven, R8 aside.

Not to mention S-Tronic or Magnetic Ride on the TT. Two other things the A5 doesnt have.

The A5 is a great car, dont get me wrong, but I dont like a long body two door car. If I want two doors, I want two seats and no rear seats. If I want a sedan, I want a sedan. The A5 doesnt intrest me like the TT does from a interior/exterior design, performance (5.1 to 60 on the 3.2 Stronic Coupe), handling etc.

IMO the only car I was considering was the S5. And while the car does have an attractive base price in the USA of 50.500 to get the same options I would want on the S5, it would be around 58K, or 8K more...add to that the gas mileage and insurence incrase and I chose the TT.

Not to mention, the TT is my daily driver, if I want to have a proper fast car, I would just drive the 997TT.

I love Audi's and am brand loyal, this TT will be my 5th Audi in 5 years....the A5 just doesnt do it for me.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:22 AM

Default with repect, you are missing the point

I was explaining that for audi, like any other car manufacturer, makes gradual improvement sot current systems, then once in a while makes a more major change

in the instance of the a5, they have started from scratch in some respects, and made major improvements in others, and the audio/media area has been overhauled massively

I think it's the first car to abandon Bose altogether, the sat nav uses dvd not cd, the ipod is available as well as CD changer, etc

whether its a better drivers car than the tt, or whether the TT has a decent chassis is another story altogether...........

personally I wouldnt have anything other than manual, but then again i would have preferred the magnetic ride option, as I say that's personal preference. And I'm sure the TT is more of a 'sports car' - that's what it's designed as. But with an inferior media system. and not as good looking :-)
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True, but I didnt opt for Bose on the TT...

9/10 times I will be listening to AM Sports Radio or the VR6 in the TT.

I would def say the TT will out handle an A5 based on weight, size, length, etc...

The looks department the A5 is a very nice car, both of them the best in ther class IMO (The TT competing with the Cayman and Z4)

Enjoy your car!

Quick Reply: about to place my order: few questions for owners