Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Breaking in an A5

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in an A5

I'm picking up my A5 in Germany in a couple of months. As I start planning our route, what should I take into account in terms of break in? Avoid long highway stretches? Mountains? What do you recommend?

In general, how do you break in a new car? This will be my first brand new car, and I don't want to screw it up. But I've also heard that break in isn't as necessary as it once was. Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Breaking in an A5

I would imagine proper break in procedure is outlined in the manual. That being said, I'd say vary the rpm as much as you can and dont go over 5000rpm. This was recommended on my 335i I took delivery in Munich.

Mountain roads are actually good because you vary your rev's a lot. The Alps have some spectacular roads. Not sure if you have any plans on driving south into the mountains but I highly recommend it!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Speaking as an ex audi mechanic and ASE Master: Beat the snot out of it.

... or it won't stop burning oil, ever. Pretty simple.

I know this topic is often disputed, and frankly I don't give a **** because every one of my vehicles doesn't burn a drop at 100k miles so there's believers and there aren't.

You have a narrow window of opportunity to seat the rings, about a thousand miles. The engine must experience the entire wide range of RPM during this process. Extended drives are an absolute no, a drive across the country at 3000 rpm is the worst.

Search the forums. You'll find lots of "My car has a low oil light on at 2500 miles and it took 3 quarts to top it off, I never went above 5000 rpm for the first 2000 miles, what the hell is wrong??" ... yep. he was an idiot. It will burn that much forever.

So. Beat the snot out of it. Luckily the audi tech who did the PDI of your car already did that for the first 7 miles, if he did it per all of the steps including "test vehicles performance in all conditions" ... a lot of stuff burns off the exhaust at that point. We were instructed specifically to not baby it at all.

Leave the oil that's in it for 1k miles, and then change it using synthetic. Change it again at 5k.

Just my opinion. You'll hear many, I'm sure. Few are qualified to make one.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:41 AM

Default Owners Manual says....

...in so many words, keep it easy for the first 600 miles and then ok to gradually increase until 1,000 miles.

You'll have to restrain yourself on the Autobahn. And fyi, do not use the cruise control for an extended period, during break-in.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 AM

Interesting input.....
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Speaking as an ex audi mechanic and ASE Master: Beat the snot out of it.

maybe this is why it's "Ex-audi mechanic"
i doubt he knows more than the manufacturers
they all agree you have to take it easy initially.
i have seen both on the same exact car
and my car lasted 160,000Km with no problems
when the other ca that was thrashed from day one lasted barely to 100,000km
Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can probably make ONE 150mph run on the Autobahn, right?
Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agree. Dealer demos are driven rough and aren't exactly the best cars to purchase.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I hope so, because I was planning on doing the same

uberlink,

I'm picking my S5 up in Germany sometime later this year and was wondering the same thing. I plan on making at least one 140mph run on the Autobahn, and driving it south into the Alps.

I'll probably take a couple 1-2 hr drives as I go from Germany -> Austria -> Northern Italy as well. Making sure to vary the RPMs while keeping under 5K RPMs.

Does all this sound pretty safe? Kind of defeats the purpose of Euro Delivery if you can't see what the car can do. I can't be the who has or is planning to do this.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by keman
... or it won't stop burning oil, ever. Pretty simple.

I know this topic is often disputed, and frankly I don't give a **** because every one of my vehicles doesn't burn a drop at 100k miles so there's believers and there aren't.

You have a narrow window of opportunity to seat the rings, about a thousand miles. The engine must experience the entire wide range of RPM during this process. Extended drives are an absolute no, a drive across the country at 3000 rpm is the worst.

Search the forums. You'll find lots of "My car has a low oil light on at 2500 miles and it took 3 quarts to top it off, I never went above 5000 rpm for the first 2000 miles, what the hell is wrong??" ... yep. he was an idiot. It will burn that much forever.

So. Beat the snot out of it. Luckily the audi tech who did the PDI of your car already did that for the first 7 miles, if he did it per all of the steps including "test vehicles performance in all conditions" ... a lot of stuff burns off the exhaust at that point. We were instructed specifically to not baby it at all.

Leave the oil that's in it for 1k miles, and then change it using synthetic. Change it again at 5k.

Just my opinion. You'll hear many, I'm sure. Few are qualified to make one.

Hi Keman,

I am sure glad to read your tread above cos i did not baby my car during the supposed 'break-in' period. I had varying rides and pushed the car thr different conditions. However my engine guzzles oil like crazy and i had topped a litre in total. Mileage currently stands at 5000km. I reside in tropical Singapore. Could it also be due to the hot climate?