A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Second VAG-COM Tweak for 2002 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second VAG-COM Tweak for 2002 A4

These cars have an "Electric Control Module" ("Lastmodul" in German) at address 09 (the first button on the Less Common Modules screen in VAG-COM. This module controls (among other things) the lights both inside and outside the car.

The CODING of this module determines what lights come on with the ignition, and what combinations of lighting is possible, based on the regulatory requirements of various countries. In the USA, for instance, fogs may not function without the low beams on. In Canada, DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) are required.

Now we noticed that our US model was coded 00013, while Ralphie's very similar Canadian model is coded 00004. After a little experimenting, we've established that the last digit in the coding determined the country that the lighting is set up for. We've not yet figured out what the second digit does. The last digit works like this:

000X1: RDW (Rest of World).
DRLs: None.
Fogs w/o low beams: Yes
Radio, Clima, etc: Not lit

000X2: NDL (Netherlands).
DRLs: Low Beam + Parking lights
Radio, Clima, etc: Lit

000X3: USA
DRLs: None
Fogs w/o low beams: No
Radio, Clima, etc: Not Lit

000X4: KAN (Canada):
DRLs: Fogs plus parking lights
Radio, Clima, etc: Lit

000X5: DAN (Denmark?):
DRLs: Low beams + parking lights
Radio, Clima, etc: I forget

000X6: SON (Other? "Sonsitges"?)
DRLs: Low beams + parking lights
Radio, Clima, etc: I forget

Unfortunately, I don't have time to explore all the possible combinations in detail. There's no documentation available for this yet. Perhaps someone with more time can try more combinations. You can't hurt anything by playing with this.

Bottom Line is, what most of the US guys want (but can't have due to our stupid regs) is the ability to turn on the fogs without the low beams, and that's easy: Change the last digit from a 3 to a 1.

One US guy asked me how to get DRL's. Obviously you can do that too (your choice of fogs or low beams) if you're willing to accept the parking lights on as well -- something that puzzles me. DRL's have traditionally been just a single pair of front lights.

Oh, the 09-Elec.Control module is on K1 and uses the old protocols so Beta 0.78 with the standard cables can do this. Have fun playing!

-Uwe-<ul><li><a href="http://www.Ross-Tech.com/vag-com/">VAG-COM Diagnostic Software for VW/Audi</a></li></ul>
Old 11-04-2001, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default EXCELLENT!....one question will there eventually be 2 VAG-COM's?

One for pre 2002 and 2002 and forward. Or can the difference in car communications live side by side in one VAG-COM?

Also do you think that there is a mode to turn all lights off when the key is off and removed. Quite a few times I walk aways from my car on foggy days with the parking lights left on!
Old 11-04-2001, 10:04 AM

Default No, see previous thread (URL)

In answer to your second question, I doubt it.

There's a reason they call them "Parking" lights..:-)

If they automatically turned off, you'd not be able to call them that, right? :-)<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/2893.phtml">Re: Is the cable or software different for the 2002s?</a></li></ul>
Old 11-04-2001, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks! Let me just say that I feel very fortunate that you now own a 2002 A4!

I can now relax that there will be a way to address the systems on the 2002 A4 as in the past. I was getting worried that software based tools were going to disappear for this A4!

Was I wrong! Keep up the good work! I'm on your listserver......everyone here that's interested in A4 system diagnostics should definitely join your listserver, it's a wealth of information!
Old 11-04-2001, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default question

I'm guessing you test these new mods out that you find to see if they work on pre 2002 cars right?
Old 11-04-2001, 12:07 PM

Default No, we don't have a pre-2002,

so testing any of these "tweaks" on older cars is an exercise left to the reader.

As far as this particular tweak, I don't think pre-2002 models have the Electric Control Module at address 09, so I think the chances are slim to none.

-Uwe-
Old 11-04-2001, 12:29 PM

Default Let me clarify WHY we have a 2002 A4..

We started getting reports from Germany earlier this year -- confirmed by our US dealer-tech customers in early October -- that VAG-COM didn't work with many of the systems in the new B6/8E A4.

After a little research, we concluded that so much has changed with the diagnostics in these cars it would take a LONG time to get VAG-COM working properly with them without steady access to one.

Now the A4/S4 owners have always been our best customers and if that trend is to continue, we figured we'd better get it working quickly. Also, our dealer tech customer expect VAG-COM to work with the most current cars.

That's why we leased one -- a Dophin/Beige 3.0 QMS -- for two years -- just long enough for the new S4 to come out..:-)

FWIW, I've never had a car this nice. Nor could I justify it if it wasn't a tax deduction.
:-)

-Uwe-
Old 11-04-2001, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ah ok, and about the ECM..

My tech was showing us how he could control 100% of the lights with the VAG-COM when he braught a 2002 3.0 to a club meeting. Said that was something new, so I think it's safe to say this tweak won't work in a pre 2002.
Old 11-04-2001, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Exactly! ...to keep us AWer's here happy!
Old 11-04-2001, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Another Question...

How would one turn on the fog light w/o the main lights?? The current switch doens't let you pull to turn on the fogs until the mains are on. Would this require a switch replacement?

Thanks!!
and let us know when u get the convinance(sp?) open/close on the remote and auto-lock figured out!!

Quick Reply: Second VAG-COM Tweak for 2002 A4