A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Just did two Delphi SkyFi XM installs using Blitzsafe adapter (more)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just did two Delphi SkyFi XM installs using Blitzsafe adapter (more)

My roommate and I just did Delphi installs in our A4s. Here's a few notes to anyone interested in this setup:

The Blitzsafe "Delphi" XM adapter is actually pretty much just the auxiliary line in adapter. It just provided a pair of RCA jacks. This is frustrating, as the Blitzsafe Pioneer XM adapter was always a plug and play solution, providing power and the necessary jack for audio. Because of this, we had to solder in wires to a cigarette lighter plug for the Delphi's 6v DC adapter to plug in to. We used the unswitched positive off the CD changer connector that the Blitzsafe adapter uses. Unfortunately, a ground loop was somehow created (this has been mentioned in other Audi Delphi installs over on the XM forums), so we had no way around using a ground loop isolator. grr. We tried plugging in the power for the Delphi to the normal cigarette lighter in the car, as well as grounding to different spots, etc. The isolator worked well anyway and didn't cause any sound quality issues we could notice. (We cleanly soldered the grounds and grounded off the radio chassis in the end, after trying many different ground spots, including the CD changer connector's ground).

It seemed like the best mounting location for the Delphi unit was on the wood/aluminum/etc trim piece above the glovebox and to the right of the console. It basically ended up being partially over the quattro badge and as high up and under on the trim as we could get it. We used the swivel mount it came with. Everywhere else blocked access to console buttons, vents, etc. This way, the glovebox is still accessible, and we were able to run the wires between the center console and the glove box so you don't even notice them.

In the end, I'm satisfied with the install. I have installed the Pioneer XM unit in VWs and while this was much more of a pain, it still worked out well in the end. The display is much more informative and being able to see what is playing on other stations without changing to them is worth it alone. The direct channel number entry helps too. I just wish the unit was as stealthy as the Pioneer in the ashtray setup.

Fortunately, the only wire running to the back of the car is for the antenna. I ran that down behind the glove box and tucked underneath the plastic trim of the door sills, then up under the back seats and into the trunk. I'm still trying to figure out the best place to put the antenna, so I routed it up to the shelf below the windshield inside the car (my friend put his on the trunk for now).

If the rear window's weather seal wasn't so tight, I could tuck the wire under it as suggested by most XM antenna install procedures, but I just don't see how it is possible on the A4. That's the only rear way to get it up to the roof. Grr. Anyone have other good locations for the antenna?
Old 03-01-2003, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My delpi antennae (with Pioneer XM unit) works just fine on the rear parcel shelf