A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

RS4 Rear Sway Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Rear Sway Bar Install

Cornering in the B6, even with the Sport PKG, is just lackluster. After reading countless posts about sway bars, I opted for the RS4 rear sway bar upgrade and I can not make this any more clear:

This mod completely changes how the car handles. If you're considering it, stop and buy it. Now. For ~$100, you can't lose.

On my 25 mile drive to work every day, I have lots of options here in LA but take a route that includes some open freeway [yes, even in SoCal], a massive curved flyover but more importantly some fun tight turns. I've now been throwing my car into corners [when safe, of course] and it just hugs everything!

Rant concluded, here's some pix. I know this is a walk in the park for most of you fellas but figured it might help someone like myself who's just starting out.

First and foremost, thanks to all who've posted on this topic before and especially A4mods.com for the instructions.

The suspension needs to be loaded to perform this install. So, I picked up a set of Rhino Ramps from K-Mart for $32. Good investment.

Removal of the rear exhaust hangars comes first. Piece of cake. Four bolts on each side and the exhaust hangs low to allow for removal of the bar itself.

Set up the jacks to hold up the exhaust. Wasn't sure if this was necessary, but didn't want to run the risk... and it helped keep it stationary while I worked.

Getting the sport suspension toothpick bar off the rear end didn't take too long as most of the bolts were easily accessible. Make sure you have some extensions for your ratchet set or you'll find this much more difficult [I think mine are a 3" and 5"].

It's easy to see tell how much more sturdy the RS4 bar is when you have them side by side. Now more then ever, I'm pretty stunned Audi didn't make the RS4 bar OEM on our cars.

The new bushings are a bit larger than the OEM Sport. This comes into play shortly.

Um, yeah, they don't fit so well. I pushed down hard on this and it sunk down about 80% of the way but floated back up in a matter of seconds.

Maneuvering the bar into place and attaching the inner bolts on the driver's side required little effort. Be sure to not torque the bolts all the way down as you'll need to have some play in the bar for the other side!

After futilely attempting to get the other side attached for longer than I'd like to admit, I figured out a new technique. Get the top part loosely attached, then position yourself directly underneath the bushing and slowly but forcefully wedge the bushing up into the bracket. This worked far better than anything else I tired.

Then, I grabbed a set of pliers to get the gap closed enough to ratchet it down. I used needle nose pliers on the bushing as well. Be careful no to damage the bushing in the process.

From here, line up the outer bolts and get them started. I put Blue Loctite on them beforehand, and applied it to the other four inner bolts as well before torquing everything down.

Again, this mod is really worth the effort and money. My car now corners like it should!

EDIT

Here are the part numbers as well:
8E0511327D: clips x 2 [formerly 8E0511327B]
N 10528103: bolt x 2 (for sway bar ends)
N 10127707: bolt x 4 (for clips)

Last edited by A4darkness; 10-28-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nice write up...

did you end up with a bunch of sand in your eyes like I did when you tried to position the swaybar?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pics aren't working!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I thought I read somewhere that there are bushings that will fit correctly? Anyone know the answer?

I am dying to do this mod but I will only do it if I get a suspension.

Having non sport and an RS4 rear sway bar is a little backwords IMO>
Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great write up. The jack stands look like an interesting technique

Lol both times I did it I just let the exhaust system rest on my chest. Not fun.

The bushing problem is interesting as well. I know in the H-Sport kit they give you a washer (and different brackets) to account for the difference in the rubber bushing. I'm assuming the RS4 bushings are a bit squishier, correct? The H-sports are pretty firm, for reference
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you get a proper suspension, the RS4 sway is less relevant

You'd still be advised to upgrade the sway from the non-sport, but good suspension will dial out a lot of the understeer anyways, without having to resort to a thick sway that reduces rear suspension independence.

RS4 sway is a cheap fix for understeer, but a good suspension is a better answer. I'm cheap so I did the RS4 sway on my sport suspension, and I'm happy with it, but since you're doing suspension anyways...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default We also used a jack stand to support the exhaust; however...

...we disconnected it by disengaging the rubber hangers, as opposed to the mounting point attached to the undercarriage. Much, MUCH easier.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thank you. Nope, no sand... I ran the car thru the wash before the install.

And I always wear the goggles.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I see em... they're kinda large. My bad.

Quick Reply: RS4 Rear Sway Bar Install