A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Symphony II reception issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Symphony II reception issue

Radio is cutting on/off in the FM band. Not completely, but loosing strength to some noise level. AM band seems to be fine even when signal output is low on FM.
STA revealed possible issue with an antenna amp. Anything else that could do this?
If it's the amp, where exactly is this located? Is it accessible for replacement through the trunk, or by rear seats access?
Thanks,
Old 01-10-2008, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd bet on the antennna amplifier. it's above the headliner driver's side rear corner
Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you get tinted recently?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no, and it's a non-metallic tint anyway
Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Metallic tint doesn't screw up FM reception, only AM (to an extent).
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default DING! And now you'll be pissed to find out how much that piece of junk costs....

I can guarantee you that this is the problem. Check out the thread below. You'll see a pic of where it's located and a crack that your's has probably developed as well. To find more info on them just do a search for "antenna booster". You'll see tons of posts about them, half from me. The dealer wanted something ridiculous like, $275 for that thing. I found one from a junk yard for $125. Look around and check to see if the part has been upgraded yet.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1002471.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a4gen2/msgs/1002471.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I replaced one, was $125 for a used one from dadsauto
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default There is hope, and its less than $50 to fix this!

I'm glad to see my picture is still getting around to help people diagnose this problem. Fortunately I have found a much cheaper solution to fixing this, than going to the dealer or buying a new booster.

At PepBoys in their audio stuff with the car radio kits, they sell antennas. Granted most of them are replacement external ones, Metra makes a glass mount one. I know, I know what you're thinking but no put that thought aside for the moment.

The antenna is small enough, that I was able to place it on the passenger side above the rear window, next to the broken factory booster. I had to buy an extension cable to make the antenna wire that came with the new one long enough to reach up front, and an Audi/VW head unit adapter to plug it in. The remote turn on and power for it was pulled from the remote turn on from the factory amp, and the constant from the amp. The hardest part of the whole install was running the wires from above the window to the amp (go figure).

The reception is 100% improved, I can't tell a difference in this versus a good factory booster. Even though the packaging says it must be mounted away from metal and on the glass, mine is stuck to the fame of the car behind the roof panel and works perfectly. I have metallic tint on the back window too!

The antenna was $29 from PepBoys, the head unit adapter was $9 from PepBoys as well. The extension cable from PepBoys is only 4 feet, and wasn't long enough for me, but AutoZone sells an 8 foot one for $7. All in all I spent $45 plus tax to get my radio back, best &gt;$50 mod yet!

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, but if you need some, or help with this, just shoot!

I will warn you, the antenna has a red led on it that shows when it has power, and unless you put two layers of electrical tape over it, it'll shine through the headliner.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You, my friend, are The Man! Great post!

I couldn't find an antenna that would work when i had the problem. I'm going to look for that antenna and the parts for when this one goes bad.

You definitely need to take some pics of that and put in the tech section. Excellent fix, I'm very impressed.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default get SIRIUS

it's worth it

Quick Reply: Symphony II reception issue