A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Few small things I've done in the past few days that I've been pleased with...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few small things I've done in the past few days that I've been pleased with...(long)

1) Used some Meguiar's Goldclass Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on the seats. Took less than half an hour and the leather imediately feels softer and looks much better. I was going to use Lexol, but when I went to the store they only had the conditioner, so I went with the Meguiar's instead.

2) Rain-X wipes that come in a small sealable pouch that you can leave in the car. Applied to the all windows and wiped down, and in some light rain today the water was rolling off the glass. I think it even helped the performance of the crappy wiper blades I need to replace.

3) Running Shell V-Power 93 instead of Mobil/Exon 93. Idle is smoother and getting better gas milage. Anyone experience similar results or is this a fluke?

4) Manual throttle body reset. Found this digging around on AZ today and afterwards the car is noticably more responsive. Revs come much quicker! I did notice that the vibration at idle was a bit more pronouced, but the car's been sitting since Saturday or so and I think it went away after it warmed up some...probably more a result of the sitting.

Anyway here's the instructions for the adaptation from AZ:

"The Throttle is "Drive By Wire" and adapts to your particular driving style. Do a TBA Throttle body adaption).

1. Get in your car, it doesn't matter if you close the door or not.

2. Turn the key to the on position, the position just before the starter turns over.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor with the key in the "on" position.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position(don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment. During this time you may hear very faint noises and clicks. I
only heard one sitting in my car, if I got out and popped the hood I might hear more.

6. Drive the car as you always do.

Depending on your driving style, this may or may not be a big factor. I do a lot of city driving so
I noticed a big change after erasing my history. It is not hard to do this, just follow the
instructions - Key on, pedal down, 5 sec, key off pedal up, wait 2 minutes.

Keep the key in for the entire thing."

Enjoy!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Very interesting - I'll try No.6 in the morning as I thought that was for Turbos only ...

and I note you have the 3.0 as well.

As for 'gas mileage' or MPG I tried a different petrol today. I usually use the std BP Unleaded (RON 95 - no idea what that equals in US Octane) but I switched to BP Ultimate (RON 97). I have to say I did 250 miles this morning on the Std stuff and 250 miles this afternoon on BP Ultimate and I noticed little or no difference for exactly the same journey. Averaged about 28.5MPG (26.5 US Gall) doing 90MPH when I could - is that good?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shell V-Power....

I noticed on my B4 Audi, the Shell fuel gave simular as you described. I have not tried Shell on my B6...
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I tried Shell V-Power 91...

My car hated it. Rough idle and all around sloppiness. Interestingly enough, I did get better mileage (about 40 miles more for that tank).

I stick to Sunoco 94 (w/ 10% ethanol)
Old 01-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Yeah, I was doubtful at first, but unless it was a placebo, it was noticable.

Funny, I seem to get my best milage doing about 80MPH. Highest I ever seen is like 24.5 or 25 MPG, so your milage sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Seems to be working well so far so I think I'll stick with it and see if it pans out in the long run
Old 01-09-2007, 02:16 PM

Default What do you usually use? I'd use Chevron, but I only know of a few by me and none are really...

convenient.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the MPG was helped by it being a long run and almost all motorway.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:21 PM

Yup. I get killed in normal driving...>15 MPG
Old 01-09-2007, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default for the first time in my car's life, she got fed 91 octane gas last week

Since you Canadians don't have 93. I was real weary of putting it in. But since that's the minimum rating for the car, I figured it would be OK. And I filled from Esso, which is where I always fill in the US too.

I definitely noticed that the car was a bit down on power, only slightly though.

Quick Reply: Few small things I've done in the past few days that I've been pleased with...(long)