A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Update: NEED HELP....Installing a XM Module in an 2007 A4 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: NEED HELP....Installing a XM Module in an 2007 A4 2.0T

Okay, I've got an update from my 12/31 post on the XM radio modules. Apparently, both XM and Sirius have redesigned their radio modules to require only one antenna lead, not two like the older models. The satellite antennas have also been redesigned and are now about half the size of the older style antennas and only have one cable/connector instead of two. Audi started using the new style antennas on the 07 A4's sometime after the model year changeover; I'm guessing it was late October or early November timeframe since my car is a November build and has the new style antenna with only one antenna connector. I recall seeing some other posts from owners with earlier 07's with 2 antenna connectors.

Here's the problem: Audi no longer offers XM on the 07's, only Sirius. So they don't have any new style XM radio modules. But they have a huge inventory of old style XM radio modules that require two antenna connections (thus the $92 price). Unfortunately, the only way to make an old style radio work with the new style antenna is with an XM splitter. And of course, Audi doesn't offer a splitter. Luckily, there are a couple of aftermarket splitters out there. I chose the Terk XM-SP.

After waiting three weeks for an e-bay seller who never delivered, I finally decided to cut my losses and order another one from Satellite Radio Superstore this week. My splitter was delivered today.

Here's the second problem: The connectors on the aftermarket splitters are universal XM connectors, not Audi connectors. The only way to remedy this situation is to remove the green connector from the antenna cable and just connect the internal antenna cable lead from the antenna to the splitter (same goes for the two cables from the splitter to the module). But don't cut the cable! Just strip away the green plastic connector to expose the antenna cable lead. Also, don't toss the foam that the bundle of wires/connectors was wrapped in. The splitter fits perfectly into it for insulation.

This did the trick...No more "Antenna" message on the display after every channel change...What a relief!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds just like my story (read below) glad it worked for you also!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Would this procedure work for installing an XM module from a 2004 A4 in a 2007 model?

I have an XM module from a 2004 A4. I'm about to purchase a 2007 A4 with Navigation and Sirius, and would like to keep my XM rather than switch to Sirius.

Would this installation method work for me?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Would this procedure work for installing an XM module from a 2004 A4 in a 2007 model?

It should. However, check the build month of the car your buying...if it's prior to November, it may have the old style antenna and Sirius module, so you may not need the splitter. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep in mind, you need a specific part# for the xm tuner to work with the RNSE nav unit. It.....

should end in E.

I have a contact at the dealer that can order brand new oem sirius and xm tuners for $360.

Good stuff!!

-Ted
Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great work. I love it when you can find an aftermarket fix for something that dealer won't solve...

....also, those aftermarket xm splitter's usually come with the plastic fakra connector ends loose...and not attached. So you should be able to plug in the bare antenna leads (TERR and SAT) right into the oem xm tuner.

This is also true for the sirius splitters (1 - to - 2).

In both cases, these splitters can be purchased on crutchfield.com for about $20-$30.

Good luck guys!!
-Ted
Old 01-29-2007, 04:58 AM

Default My old XM tuner ends with an "A". So it won't work even with the splitter?

That's what I was afraid of.

Although now that I've listened to Sirius for a few days, I may stick with it. I'll miss major league baseball and ACC football/basketball though.
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you have RNSE and/or TPMS option, you can't use the A version for XM. You need the E...

...if you don't have RNSE or TPMS, the A should work....with the splitter.

Good luck!

PS: I can source these new xm or sirius tuners from the dealer direct for $360. Most other dealers want $450+.