A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

climate control and speaker question!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default climate control and speaker question!!

I just got my car back from the dealership for its 5k maintenance. I also had them change my front lower door speakers. The speakers now sound worse than when I brought them there. They make a terrible vibrating sound when music has a lot of bass or if I'm listening to some news radio show. I've got a Symphony(non-Bose) What gives? Audi audio sucks!! Anyone else had this problem and know of any solutions?

As far as climate control goes...should you not be able to turn on the windshield defroster and have it set to, "auto" simultaneously? I can't remember because now it seems that it takes the car longer to start the climate control. It's cold now so this morning I had to manually raise the temp so that the car would start the heat. When I hit auto the car stopped pushing air out. It was only after I started driving that the climate control kicked in like it supposed to. Is there something wrong now? I love my A4, but DO I HAVE TO TRADE THE AUDI IN FOR A BMW!!!

Sig-less
2k1 A41.8TQT
Old 12-28-2001, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Climate control is smarter than you......

...(no offense meant) but the climate control will keep the fan off or vry low until there is sufficient warm coolant in the system for it to extract warm/hot air from. Sure beats having the fan blow ice cold air on you, IMHO.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well put....I agree. auto function is so you don't have to think about it....
Old 12-28-2001, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks.... I did think that was the reason, but......

couldn't remember if it always did that or not. Never really paid any attention to it. Then again the temp around here has been pretty cold lately and it's my first winter with my A4!
Old 12-28-2001, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, it'll act different in the colder weather versus the summer.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:35 AM

Default To fix the buzzy speakers up front use the hidden equalizer....

This is a cut an paste from Lance Pace's post. It made a HUGE difference on my system!

"Non-Bose Symphony users: You must make changes to the hidden equalizer settings. I did. OMG!!

Posted by LCP on 2001-03-29 00:00:07
I had already posted a solution for better sound before knowing of the hidden equalizer whereby balance was faded to the rear to make the larger rear speakers handle the bass, and relative midrange and treble settings increased to bring the soundstage up front.

Lately, there's been a flurry of activity of people changing their equalizer settings to enhance their sound. Most of these have been people with Bose systems. Tonight, I decided to see if the same held true for us non-Bose people, and what needed to be done to the popular recommended settings to make it worth with the non-Bose speakers. Well, it does work for us.

To access the hidden equalizer, do the following:
1. Turn off stereo.
2. Press "5" and turn stereo on.
3. You should see "55555555" displayed.
4. Turn volume dial to change the values, and press "P.Scan" to scroll through the digits.
5. Turn stereo off and on again to hear changes.

If you think you can't tell a difference when you make changes, try the following settings, and then get your hearing checked: 11991199 followed by 11111111.

The 8 digits represent the following tones, in order from left to right:
1. Front low bass
2. Front mid bass
3. Front midrange
4. Front treble
5. Rear low bass
6. Rear mid bass
7. Rear midrange
8. Rear treble.

Anyway, I started with the popular settings for Bose users, 88698869, but figured they would need tweaking for the non-Bose speakers, which have very little capacity to reproduce bass in the front and very little capacity to reproduce treble in the rear. The combination I found best at allowing the speakers to do the jobs for which they were designed, while keeping the soundstage in the front was 38679657. Slight variations of this combination that I tried would have allowed changing some of the digits (in different combinations -- never all at once I think) to 48788757, but 38679657 is the winner for me. The volume level to which I was able to play the Symphony stereo without distortion amazed me with these settings. Making the puny front speakers try to reproduce deep bass tones causes distortion by moderate volume levels, but the rear speakers can handle them at very high levels. Of course, set your generic ****-adjustable bass, treble and midrange settings to neutral."

Lance Pace
President, Lone Star Chapter, QCUSA
"I can't stop apexing"