A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

bitjockey in a car accident, info inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bitjockey in a car accident, info inside

Hey guys, I work with bitjockey and we currently share an apt. We were out at a friends apt last nite and heading home around 1:30. He was driving his A4 and we were coming down an on ramp onto the highway.

Neither of us still can figure out what exactly happened next as it was a very straight on ramp. I honestly could not even recall exactly the course of the events. The RF wheel hit a curb at some point setting off the side airbag on the passenger side. The car spun again he caught it but it was still somewhat sideways and we went into a guard rail on the driverside.

Basically from what we can tell the guard rail did its job with the end rolling as it should however we hit it perpandicular so the B-pillar struck the first support post setting off the drivers side airbag. Neither front airbag went off as we made both hits sideways.

I got out of the car thinking the pops were just tires as I had not noticed the side airbags went off. I could not see his side of the car but he was unable to open the door. I thought it was just because we were against the gaurd rail so he climbed out the window.

He had tried to move it but could not before he got out so I went to get in and that is when I saw the damage on the driverside. I was able to get it in gear. Rocked it off the guard rail and got it back on the road. Drove it to the next exit and there happened to be a european repair shop that we parked the car at. Hung out for a little while till we settled down and flagged a cab to get home.

This morning we went back to the repair shop and called his insurance company. He was uncomfortable all night and could not sleep so we were going to take him to the hospital after the insurance company came and picked it up. While waiting he tried to drink some gatorade and isntantly threw up so we called them back and said to just pick it up and went to the hospital.

We got right in but then sat in the room for a while about 30 minutes they took him for some tests and I went to grab lunch. Slept in the waiting room for about an hour and got a call from him saying they found some problems with his spleen and he would have to stay a few days. At this time I thought it was just bruised or something. I get a call once I get home from our boss saying that bitjockeys parents just called his house and that they ware taking him in for surgery right then. They are also now on their way down 4hrs to be there when he gets out.

When I get any info on his condition I will let everyone know. Figured he has been around here a while so everyone might be interested in knowing.

The car is totaled. The b-pillar is pushed in at the farthest point probably about a foot. When I went to move it I could not even get in the seat, I was sitting up on top of the bolsters. Windshield is shattered, both drivers side windows were down but blew out. Passenger windows are ok. The car is bent so bad the RR door hs about a 1" gap on the backside now. The LR quarter is tweeked but the trunk lid is ok. the roof is crumpled, sunroof glass is still intact.

Luckily it seems based on the scratches that the post for the guardrail hit only about a 1/4 of the way up the door. So while he is in bad shape he could have been alot worse off since it seems the side airbag did the best job it could.

I had my arm up on the door with the window down so my airbag actually just went between my abdomen and arm. The only injury I ended up with is about 1" long burn from the airbag.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default Wow. Best of luck to him.

If you speak to him soon, tell him Mica says that being disabled isn't that bad.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:24 PM

... please pass along my well wishes
Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: bitjockey in a car accident, info inside

why did you wait the night out were you drinking and driving?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :( Get better soon, Robin!

That really sucks about the car, he really loved that thing. Hope he gets well soon.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Pics or it didn't happen

just kidding. hope everything works out, insurance wise.

he better get another audi.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Bad ****. Give him by best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Pics or it didn't happen

I took one pic with my phone and he took a bunch last night and this morning. I don't want to go posting any pics up until I speak with him again, I'm sure you all understand.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Default Re: bitjockey in a car accident, info inside

In regards to going to the hospital. He thought he was fine just sore. I was fine other then my little tiny burn so I took his word for it that he was ok. I crashed my motorcycle and didn't go to the DR for a day, we do strange things when our babies are hurt and adrenelin is kicking in strong.

In regards to not calling the police last nite or anything. We all know our cars and we know how many cops look at them. You have a hooked up audi in a guard rail at 1:30 in the morning and you are not walking away ticket free. He was very upset about the car and didn't want to deal with anything else.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:52 PM

Default My condolences to him (and the car)

I ruptured a guy's spleen once playing tournament hockey, they told me he was fine like two days later. I also broke my collar bone in the same hit...but whatever. I hope whatever happened to him is nothing major.

Quick Reply: bitjockey in a car accident, info inside