A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is 0-20 Mobil 1 ok to use on an engine with 100k?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 0-20 Mobil 1 ok to use on an engine with 100k?

I got it at Pep Boys 6 qts. for $15.00 with a coupon.
I am afraid it might fall right of the motor : )
Old 02-04-2005, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

0W-20? Seems a bit thin. Audi says 0W-40 for the 1.8
Old 02-04-2005, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is there a difference in thickness between 0W-40, 5W-40, & 10W-40?

Or is it just the temperature they can be run at?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fist number indicates the oil weight at a cold start. Lower is better for colder regions.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:46 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Unless you have a ford or honda...don't use that stuff. Too thin.

I use it in my Honda...and even then I kinda question the wisdom in using a lightweight oil like that.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's same weight, but the 40 will stay thicker under heat.

The 20 will get water-thin if the temps get too hot and will not provide adequate protection.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah i have that coupon too. But they don't carry any of the weights I want :-(
Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They ALL get equally thin at high temps. An Urban Legend.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yes!5w30 Mobil is a c*nt hair thicker & shows good used analysis.Dino shears to 20 weight anyway

Flame suit on. This oil, 0w-20 will flow better at the range of temps that 98% of wear occurs, cold start and warm-up fully to +100c but protect as well as a higher viscosity oil. I just got done hammering out a post on viscosity on B5 Forum. A HT/HS viscosity below 3 works for 1.8t, the 3.5 of an A3 oil like Mobil 1 0w-40 is overkill unles you are over 275hp. I don't know exactly the HT/HS of M1 0w-20 but it is about 2.6, 2.9 is normal Mobil 1 5w-30 when it starts but it will shear more than the 0w-20, I SWEAR! The 0w-20 has a thinner designation and is thinner at most temps but very similar HT/HS because it's basestock is superior. Remember, the goal of oil design and selection is the thinnest possible oil that does not thicken too much when the engine is turned off so it can flow well on restart....when wear is highest. Oil is extremely thick at room and cold outside temps. It will not burn off or leak, all finished oils pass a seal compatibility test. Mobil uses Alkalated Napthalene to control the seal shrinking properties of their SuperSyn PAO. If someone cares to read up, I'll post some links on current discussion of white papers on the subject, but one Dr. who is an researcher for Ferrari, and does chat with Ferrari Techs as an expert uses 0w-20 in his new Maranello with no objections from the factory. The cold and normal temp flow of the thin oil during start and warm up outweights it's Extreme Pressure film protection against wear and there are additives that take care of EP situations where the film has broken down. Not my first choice, but it will work just like a 30wt but more hp, mpg, run cooler less wear and longer-lasting. FTR-thick and thin oils are identical visc over +250f so nothing gained except it will probally run cooler to begin with if thin oil is used. End of transmission.

Motor Oil Final Examination
Answer questions without looking back. This is a closed book exam. Base your answers on the information provided in these past chapters.

1- While starting up your car at 75 F, mid-winter in Florida, which of these synthetic oils provides the least startup resistance, minimal battery and starter motor load?
A- 0W-20
B- 0W-30
C- 0W-40
D- 0W-50
E- They are all exactly the same

2- While vacationing in Orlando, it is 104 F mid-summer in Florida. The rental car company put a straight mineral based 30 weight oil in their car because they wanted the operating temperature viscosity to be at 10 cS. What will be the approximate viscosity of the oil when you start up your engine now? (Closest answer)
A- 10 cS
B- 20 cS
C- 30 cS
D- 100 cS
E- 400 cS

3- While vacationing in Florida you are able to race your car at the Sebring track. At an oil temperature of 302 F what is the approximate difference in viscosity between a 20 and 40 weight oil. (Pick the closest number)
A- 1
B- 10
C- 20
D- 40
E- 400

4- Assume there are no losses in the system and your oil pump is truly volume based. Also assume there is no cut off pressure valve and you are using a 40 weight motor oil. If at 1,000 RPM your pressure is 30 and your pump output is 1 (one), what will the pressure and output be at redline, 8,000 RPM?
A- 240 PSI, flow = 8
B- 180 PSI, flow = 8
C- 240 PSI, flow = 4
D- 180 PSI, flow = 4
E- 120 PSI, flow = 8

5- Water can be used as a lubricant.
A- True
B- False

6- If you increase the pressure in a bearing, all other things being constant, the force of separation between the parts increases.
A- True
B- False

7- The best weight oil for racing any Ferrari or Lamborghini is a 40 weight multigrade synthetic oil like Mobil One 0W-40.
A- True
B- False

8- For my Maranello 575 the 0W-20 weight Mobil 1 oil is actually too thick for my driving conditions.
A- True
B- False

9- The major problem with engine oil is that it thins with increasing temperature.
A- True
B- False

10- Your 1993 sports car manual states to use an API / SAE SH rated 10W-40 mineral based motor oil. Your engine has only 1,550 miles on the odometer. On your next oil change it would be better to use a SM rated 0W-40 synthetic oil.
A- True
B- False

11- According to SAE J300 a 30 weight oil has a viscosity of between 9.3 and 12.4 centiStokes at operating temperature (212 F).
A- True
B- False

12- In my list of recommended oils what did I list as the best mineral based motor oil in the 50 weight class?
A- Pennzoil multigrade 20W-50
B- Castrol GTX 15W-50
C- Red Line 10W-50
D- Valvoline Durablend 0W-50
E- No oil was recommended

13- You are running 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic motor oil in your Mercedes Benz. You are in a K-Mart shopping center and checked your oil and it is 1 1/2 quarts low. You will need to add one can of oil. Which of the following is the best choice.
A- Mobil 1 - 0W-40
B- Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-40
C- Red Line Synthetic 5W-40
D- Castrol Syntec 0W-30
E- Shell mineral based 10W-40

14- Motor oils that are labeled "for racing only" should not be used for everyday driving because:
A- They do not have detergents
B- They may have harmful levels of some additives
C- They are generally unrated, there is no SJ, SL or SM approval
D- You would have to take your engine apart and clean it periodically
E- All of the above

15- ASTM stands for:
A- Automotive Standards and Test Methods
B- Automotive Society for Tooling and Machining
C- American Society for Testing and Materials
D- American Standards Trade and Manufacturing
E- Society for American Standard Testing Methods

16- If your engine is running too hot at higher RPM one thing you can try to bring the temperature down is to use a thinner oil.
A- True
B- False

17- Oil with a startup thickness of 100 (at 75 F) that becomes the appropriate thickness of 10 when fully warmed up (212 F) is called a 10W-30 weight motor oil.
A- True
B- False

18- A main advantage that the synthetic has over the mineral based oil of the same grade is the ability to lubricate better at startup.
A- True
B- False

19- In ASTM D 4485 3.1.4: Engine oil is defined as - - "a liquid that reduces friction and wear between moving parts within an engine, and also serves as a coolant."
A- True
B- False

20- I am (single best answer):
A- Surgeon
B- Biochemist
C- `Halfass mechanic
D- Absurdly interested in motor oils
E- All of the above

Answers below:

Answers to the Oil Final Exam
I feel these were all very difficult questions. You would be doing well to get 10 correct.

1- While starting up your car at 75 F, mid-winter in Florida, which of these synthetic oils provides the least startup resistance, minimal battery and starter motor load?
A- 0W-20
B- 0W-30
C- 0W-40
D- 0W-50
E- They are all exactly the same
The correct answer is A- 0W-20.

2- While vacationing in Orlando, it is 104 F mid-summer in Florida. The rental car company put a straight mineral based 30 weight oil in their car because they wanted the operating temperature viscosity to be at 10 cS. What will be the approximate viscosity of the oil when you start up your engine now?
A- 10 cS
B- 20 cS
C- 30 cS
D- 100 cS
E- 400 cS
The correct answer is D- 100 cS

3- While vacationing in Florida you are able to race your car at the Sebring track. At an oil temperature of 302 F what is the approximate difference in viscosity between a 20 and 40 weight oil. Pick the closest number.
A- 1
B- 10
C- 20
D- 40
E- 400
The correct answer is A- 1

4- Assume there are no losses in the system and your oil pump is truly volume based. Also assume there is no cut off pressure valve and you are using a 40 weight motor oil. If at 1,000 RPM your pressure is 30 and your pump output is 1 (one), what will the pressure and output be at redline, 8,000 RPM?
A- 240 PSI, flow = 8
B- 180 PSI, flow = 8
C- 240 PSI, flow = 4
D- 180 PSI, flow = 4
E- 120 PSI, flow = 8
The correct answer is A- 240 PSI, flow = 8

5- Water can be used as a lubricant.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is A- True

6- If you increase the pressure in a bearing, all other things being constant, the force of separation between the parts increases.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is B- False

7- The best weight oil for racing any Ferrari or Lamborghini is a 40 weight multigrade synthetic oil like Mobil One 0W-40.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is B- False. It can best be determined by driving the car with one type of oil and see what happens.

8- For my Maranello 575 the 0W-20 weight Mobil 1 oil is actually too thick for my driving conditions.
A- True
B- False

9- The major problem with engine oil is that it thins with increasing temperature.
A- True
B- False
The correct answer is B- False. The problem is thickening when the engine is turned off. With long term use the problem is also thickening.

10- Your 1993 sports car manual states to use an API / SAE SH rated 10W-40 mineral based motor oil. Your engine has only 4,550 miles on the odometer. On your next oil change it would be better to use a SM rated 0W-40 synthetic oil.
A- True
B- False

11- According to SAE J300 a 0W-30 and a straight 30 weight oil must have a viscosity of between 9.3 and 12.4 centiStokes at operating temperature (212 F).
A- True
B- False

12- In my list of recommended oils what did I list as the best mineral based motor oil in the 50 weight class?
A- Pennzoil multigrade 20W-50
B- Castrol GTX 20W-50
C- Red Line 15W-50
D- Valvoline Durablend 20W-50
E- No oil was recommended
The correct answer is E- No oil was recommended. They all are too thick at startup for daily use.

13- You are running 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra fully synthetic motor oil in your Mercedes Benz. You are in a K-Mart shopping center and checked your oil and it is 1 1/2 quarts low. You will need to add one can of oil now. Which of the following is the best choice.
A- Mobil 1 - 0W-40
B- Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-40
C- Red Line Synthetic 5W-40
D- Castrol Syntec 0W-30
E- Shell mineral based 10W-40
The correct answer is E- Shell mineral based 10W-40. You can mix any SM rated oil in there but this is my first choice based on my research.

14- Motor oils that are labeled "for racing only" should not be used for everyday driving because:
A- They do not have detergents
B- They may have harmful levels of some additives
C- They are generally unrated, there is no SJ, SL or SM approval
D- You would have to take your engine apart and clean it periodically
E- All of the above
The correct answer is E- All of the above

15- ASTM stands for:
A- Automotive Standards and Test Methods
B- Automotive Society for Tooling and Machining
C- American Society for Testing and Materials
D- American Standards Trade and Manufacturing
E- Society for American Standard Testing Methods
The correct answer is C- American Society for Testing and Materials

16- If your engine is running too hot at higher RPM one thing you can try to bring the temperature down is to use a thinner oil.
A- True
B- False

17- Oil with a startup thickness of 100 (at 75 F) that becomes the appropriate thickness of 10 when fully warmed up (212 F) is called a 10W-30 weight motor oil.
A- True
B- False

18- A main advantage that the synthetic has over the mineral based oil of the same grade is the ability to lubricate better at startup.
A- True
B- False

19- In ASTM D 4485 3.1.4: Engine oil is defined as - - "a liquid that reduces friction and wear between moving parts within an engine, and also serves as a coolant."
A- True
B- False

20- I am (single best answer):
A- Surgeon
B- Biochemist
C- `Halfass mechanic
D- Absurdly interested in motor oils
E- All of the above
The correct answer is E- All of the above