A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

My post install Carbonio impressions.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My post install Carbonio impressions.....

This is the short list BTW. And thanks to BHase and Wes.

1) The instructions as most tend to be, are atrocious. And not really for an 01.

2) The intake surround material is a slick rubber material which does not want to sit on the mounting adapter. <----There's the first clue. "Adapter". My friend almost lost it attempting that little feat of endurance. It's just poor design.

3) The intake tube is simply a gussied up dryer tube. The placement so far is directly in front of the motor. Hmmm?

4) The heat shield installation is simply wrong in the directions, as they suggest keeping the stock heat shielding and slipping the new one over the bolt which used to hold the stock airbox to the side of the car. You say you want humor? Well how about this? They have switched the bolt that holds the airbox to the side of the car with the bolt that hold the stock heat shielding to the airbox assembly. That was their "dynamic" solution.

5) The car sounds the same, except for the strange occurence of the car going into a second high idle. This may have been the adaptation process they were talking about. Everything smoothed out after that.

6) Oh and I almost forgot the best part. The air pump tubing that goes to the airbox from the pump has to be completely removed from the car and BOILED to soften the plastic enough so you can rip your fingers apart trying to jam the little pump filter back on the pump. I ask, for $320.00 "WHY NOT JUST INCLUDE THIS LITTLE PIECE OF **** WITH THE REST OF THE CRAP THEY SENT ME"?!!!

Okay, saying all that, I have yet to give it sufficient driving time, or any dyno testing. Maybe they have something here. But so far it looks like the SOS. Not that I was really expecting anything, but IF stage III+ ever comes out, I just wanted to be ready.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Elder Member

wow, that's just a shame. everyone had high hopes for this intake
Old 10-25-2004, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default weak... mine is coming in 3 days...

now i'm sad.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Elder Member

Default Seriously, no BS. I'm really not impressed.

Maybe something will change, and I will be the first to admit I was wrong, but I cant see it happening.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Elder Member

Default I don't want to be the guy who knocks it, but this was $320.

And a $320 intake needs to actually do something IMO.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

/me cries. sucks to be a risk taker.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Elder Member

Try it. But before you do, go buy the fittings for the air pump tube. You will thank me.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

from where? what do they look like?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Elder Member

Default There is a tube that runs from the air pump into the top half of the airbox.

This tube has to be removed, via pressing two tabs in that release clips. Very similar to a child proof medicine bottle. The first lies underneath the large intake tube that runs from the airbox. The second is underneath the car roughly 6-7 inches from the passanger side front wheel. Can't really miss it. Someone with EKTA would be extremely helpful here. I'll check the part number tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Why would anyone have high hopes for an intake?

This is probably one of the few parts on most cars that is best with an OEM solution.

Quick Reply: My post install Carbonio impressions.....