A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

hoses to radiator.....need quick help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hoses to radiator.....need quick help

I don't have my bentley manual yet its in the mail but i decided to start tearing down my car with what i can do i've reached the radiator and i disconected everything except two metal hoses on the passenger side one on top and one on bottom they both have 10mm bolts next to them I am assuming they are some sort of transmission cooler. I have a tip trans can I just disconnect them or do I need to drain trans fluid first?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default are you following the tech article? i believe you are talking about the ac condensor

you unbolt it and it swings out of the way. Do not disconnect the hoses.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

no I didn't disconnect the a/c condensor......I'm talking about the radiator
Old 07-11-2004, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default OK so apparently it is the Trans cooler lines....

the transmission cooler is built into the radiator. Now my next question is if i disconnect them will i be able to refill the atf or is it as big of a pita as i've heard?
Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Default oooh boy....

well, unless you're planning on changing your tranny fluid as well, you may be in a little pickle. those two metal lines indeed are the tranny fluid cooler lines, and if you take them off tranny fluid will indeed pour out. you can take a gamble and disconnect them and then plug them real quick, or you can just let them drain and also change your tranny fluid. either way, you're gonna lose some fluid, and WHATEVER you do don't let any dirt get in there!- it goes to your transmission, ya know.

Anyway, if i were you, and what i did when i changed my TB the other week, was change the tranny fluid anyway. There was a HUGE difference in shift and feel of the trans afterward.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

did you have a dealer do it?
Old 07-11-2004, 12:30 PM

did it all myself.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default was it a pita...

don't you have to keep the car level and vag it so you can tell when its at a certain temp then fill it with a little tube from the bottom of the car?
Old 07-11-2004, 12:36 PM

Default there's a writeup here...

it's for an A8, but we've got the same tranny's. The only thing is it's much easier to get to the trans pan in the A4 b/c the exhaust is not in the way. Good luck.<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/auto_transmission/autotranservicing.html">click</a></li></ul>
Old 07-12-2004, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It is indeed the trans cooler but I don't think you have to pull them off.

They are coupled into rubber lines under the driver's side of the car and I'll bet that you can leave them connected, pull the whole front rad support off, and rotate it out of the way similar to how the ac condensor rotates out of the way. Just be careful you don't damage the lines if you try this!

FWIW, when I pulled the head off of my friend's car, we pulled the ATF cooler lines off of his radiator and it leaked maybe half a liter of fluid. When I tried to refill it this weekend, I screwed up and pulled the plug out of the pan while the engine was off and lost another half liter of fluid. When we started the engine and got the filler tube into the hole, it only took about 1/3 of a liter to refill it to spec (slowly leaks out when the fluid temp is between 40C and 45C). Moral of the story is, the factory probably overfilled to begin with so if you loose some while pulling the ATF cooler lines, you *MIGHT* not have to refill it at all.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: hoses to radiator.....need quick help