A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Need help with SPEC clutch problem. Very frustrated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with SPEC clutch problem. Very frustrated.

I had the SPEC stage two clutch and LWFW installed 450 miles ago. I've driven it very gently since it was put in as I know break in is critical. Well, now when I fully depress the clutch pedal, I get a loud whirring/chafing noise. It only does this when the pedal is on the floor. It is also difficult to get into gear when making this noise. When I release the pedal so it's just an inch or so off the floor, it works just fine. The guy that put it in is very well respected and knows his stuff. We called SPEC and spoke with David, and he suggested putting a stop in under the clutch pedal to solve the problem. Well, I guess that would be a work-around solution, but then I wouldn't be able to start my car. Then he suggested disabling the feature of the car that requires the clutch pedal to be on the floor in order to start the car. Again, a solution that doesn't really get at the heart of the problem. This has never been a problem before. I figured it was either a problem with the installation or a problem with the product. David disagreed. He said he's never seen this problem before and it's somehow caused by my car being different that other A4s. The fluid was bled properly. David went on to suggest other work-arounds like shortening the rod on the slave cylinder or adjusting the clevis where the master cylinder attaches to the pedal. Niether of these sound like they would address the real issue here. Has anyone seen this before? My mechanic spoke with David and felt like I feel now....unsatisfied and frustrated. What do you guys think the problem is? Doesn't it have to be either installation or the product itself?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:47 AM

Old 06-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm...interesting. David at SPEC denied ever having experienced this before. Anyone else?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sounds like the throw-out bearing.

Was it replaced also?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:08 AM
Elder Member

Default Seems like David needs a lesson in customer service.

Suggesting you modify your car to make up for a defective product, is very unprofessional. If Spec won't stand behind the product they sell, they should be called on it. I have a stage III unit from Spec, and during break in, and for some time after the clutch sounded like a wounded horse upon engagement. It's the product.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

That was replaced, as was the pilot bearing.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 AM

Default A few of us w/SPEC Stage 3s and LWFWs experienced this. I, and others, ended up using a small block

as a stop under the clutch pedal. That was over 10K miles for me and it has never come back or caused another problem. I don't know what caused it. In my case the noise was changing and starting to go away when I put the block in, so maybe it will eventually disappear. Frustrating, I know. However, for me using the block was a much simpler solution than trying to swap the thing out and try to get my money back from SPEC. And by the way, other than that noise my setup has been flawless. Holds like champ and is even relatively smooth after so many miles.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default mmart6545 just told me he learned the hard way ($) that that is the Spec 2 product...

Something about no springs in the Stage 2 setup... maybe he'll chime in.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:33 AM

Default I had the same issue, after 1000kms it's no longer a problem

When I first picked up the car, if I pushed the clutch all the way in it would make the same whining noise - seemed like the gears were spinning up because it would not go into gear and when I tried to force it you could here the synchro's spinning up.

I avoided pushing the clutch all the way and just got used to it,

Just recently I tried it again and the problem is no longer there.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks much for sharing your experience.

David at SPEC told me to use a pedal stop too, but then I won't be able to start me car. How did you address this issue?
I have almost 500 miles on it so far. The noise started at about 200-250 miles and has gotten progressivly worse. At what milage was yours the worst, and when did it get better?

Quick Reply: Need help with SPEC clutch problem. Very frustrated.