A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hard to start after fill up, (and more)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-1999, 06:53 AM
slack

Default Hard to start after fill up, (and more)...

99.5 2.8M ~3800m

Check engine light came on a while ago. Took car in to dealer this morning (first available). LAst two trips to gas station resulted in a tough time to start after filling tank. I do not 'top off' and always crank cap through a couple of clicks. Anyone had this experience before? Any insights?

Also, asked dealer to do auto locking reprogram, and asked if he wouldn't mind doing auto window up/down with remote.( he said ok, what a shock) He asked for my other remote? Does this procedure require a change to the remote? The faq leads me to beleive it's just writing a register in the ecu.

Many Thanks,

slack
99.5 2.8M
Old 08-06-1999, 07:27 AM
Roy M

Default All keys are required to do remote programing (more)

Just had my 2 week old 99.5 1.8T remotes reprogrammed. Watched the mechanic and just like my 98.5 he had to reprogram not only the on board module but also both keys.
Works like a charm. I had windows up/down and auto lock of doors at 15 mph added.
Roy M (both A4's have had the fob reprogrammed and work great)
Old 08-06-1999, 07:44 AM
Roger

Default Dealer does nto need keys to reprogram....

The dealer does not need the keys to reprogram the control module with the new code. The remotes are NOT reprogrammed, only the computer with the VAG tool. As long as you have used both keys in that car before, you should have no problems.

Roger
99.0 1.8tQSMBWC
Old 08-06-1999, 08:49 AM
Mark P

Default Is the control module in the radio? Is the radio related to this?

I've heard a couple of times that you can not make these modifications if you are not using the factory radio. Is this true? Does anyone have the window mod working in a car with an aftermarket radio?

Mark P
Old 08-06-1999, 09:56 AM
Chris B

Default Re: Hard to start after fill up, (and more)...

I had the exact same problem. I filled the car with gas and then experienced a really rough start and the check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and he said to drive it another day or two and see if the light went off on it's own. It did. The tech said to make sure you twisted the gas cap through at least 10-15 clicks. It's worked thus far, no problems since.
Old 08-06-1999, 11:37 AM
slack

Default Yeah but,

My check engine light has not gone out. In 2 weeks...

10-15 clicks! Holy S**t that seems crazy. One click should do it.

slack
99.5 2.8M
Old 08-06-1999, 01:43 PM
christine s

Default MY EXACT PROBLEM (sorry to shout but I may have an answer..)....more...

I had identical symptoms- check light came on, hard starting after fillups only.
After 4 trips, I had some friends down southern California at AMS call Audi Service on my behalf to help diagnose.

Ask your dealer if they've looked at or replaced the PURGE VALVE. That was the source of my problem, after having replaced the gas cap/ gas seal/ evap pump/ fuel line & pump in vain.
Once they replaced the purge valve, they reset the check light for the 5th & final time.
It has not come on since and I've not experienced the strained starting at the fuel pump.

BTW I never overfill either, and my dealer told me 3 clicks is sufficient to snap on the gas cap.
Email me separately if you need any further details or exact parts # they replaced.

GOOD LUCK!
Christine S
99.5 2.8 QMSC