A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Squeaky clutch.......what's the latest on this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-1999, 02:41 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Squeaky clutch.......what's the latest on this?

My '97 A4 is driving nuts witht eh squeaky clutch.<p>I lubricated all the pivot points with WD-40, including the shaft that moves in and out of the clutch master cylinder....no improvement...still squeaks!<p>Is there an official cause and fix? I don't wish to go to the dealer until I'm sure what is wrong and if the major failure is the clutch cylinder then I will make sure they have one ins tock before I get there! <br>
Old 06-14-1999, 02:55 PM
Rob O

Default Re: Squeaky clutch.......what's the latest on this?

If yours is "creaking" like a rusty spring, then I had a similar problem with my '96 -- some time ago -- and know numerous others have had the same experience. The source of this obnoxious creaking, according to my service tech, is two plastic pieces that interact during clutch engagement (sorry I don't know more specifically which parts). He admitted there were quite a few cases through which wear-n-tear would cause this general problem and that Audi (AoA & Audi AG) had no specific solution other than replace the worn plastic pieces with new plastic pieces -- which leaves the door wide open for the problem to return later (read: outside the warranty period). My tech's solution, at that time, was to fabricate a substitute metal replacement for one of the plastic parts. It took him about 20 minutes to fashion and install and the creak was gone for good.<p>This probably doesn't help you much, but if you decide to visit the dealer their techs there should be familar with this prob and have a fix, even if it means using a little ingenuity.<p>Rob O<br><i>** no squeaky clutch on my 98 yet **</i>
Old 06-14-1999, 03:23 PM
stanj

Same here @ 25k miles - just about to go to the shop tomorrow
Old 06-14-1999, 04:29 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Stan, let me know what you find out ?

-
Old 06-14-1999, 04:40 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Yes it "creaks"......

I took a look at the pedal mechanism on Saturday and noticed it wasn't too hard to disassenble.<p>There is a shaft that the clutch and brake pedal pivot on. The clutch pedal is made of plastic and I'm assuming that the shaft is metal. The clutch master cylinder shaft is connect to the center of the clutch pedal lever arm. The cylinder attachment is plastic with a smaller shaft going throught it and the clutch pedal arm. This may or may not be made of plastic. There is also a return spring that connects/presses against the clutch pedal lever arm. I guess the best thing to do is remove the small shaft that connects the clutch master cylinder to the clutch pedal. I should then be able to pivot the pedal without activating the clutch cylinder. If a creak is heard then it's the pedal pivot point. If not, then I should be able to produce the creak when I push in the clutch cylinder shaft by hand without the pedal attached, then bad cylinder.<p>I sure wish you knew what part was fabricated at you dealer!
Old 06-14-1999, 05:11 PM
Rob O

Default Re: Yes it "creaks"......

Yeah, sorry I don't know specifically what he did, and I sold that A4 so I can't even look for you.<p>I do know that when repairing this creaky-clutch part he had the carpet pulled back and was working behind the "firewall" from the interior. Everything he did was from the cabin (not under the hood). I also remember him saying it was a plastic part that went in and out of another plastic part.<p>Maybe someone else can shed some more light.<p>Rob O
Old 06-15-1999, 06:56 AM
DaveN

Default Might still not tell you...

once you unload the part it stops creaking. I had this happen on an old 5000 and it was caused by the plastic bushings on the clutch pedel that run on the pivot shaft. I filed the bushing smooth (hate having to find parts on a Sunday), and lubed the shaft up with a grease, and it has been fine since. The neighbor has got the car now, and I just helped her and did some work on it (that d*mn steering rack again), and the pedel is still fine. Did the repair maybe 5 years ago.