A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How high is your oil level with the engine is COLD? Mine is about 1 cm above the top of the hash marks...too full?-nt

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-1999, 07:43 AM
Bob W.

How high is your oil level with the engine is COLD? Mine is about 1 cm above the top of the hash marks...too full?-nt
Old 06-17-1999, 07:45 AM
Bob W.

Doh! should say "WHEN the engine is cold"-nt
Old 06-17-1999, 08:18 AM
Chris L.

Default Overfill has been a major issue (more)

Many people have gotten their cars back from service with the oil reading above the full mark.<p>There was a receny TSB with revised oil capacity levels which seems to indicate that the previos info was wrong!<br>Chris
Old 06-17-1999, 09:08 AM
alan t.

Default How can Audi be that far off on the correct oil capacity? 4.3 in manual vs. 3.7 qts. in TSB.

dfdf
Old 06-17-1999, 09:25 AM
Chris L.

Default Oh yeah, 1 more piece of bad news (more)

An Audi service techie told me that they have set their oil dispenser based on engine size only (1.8, 2.8, 4.8, etc) and they ALWAYS fill assuming a new filter change.<p>Yes, this means that before the TSB, some dealers may have been putting an extra quart in you engine if they didn't replace the filter (probably more if they didn't let the oil pan drain properly which I assume happens all the time as these guys are in a rush to free-up the lift).<p>When I asked the service manager if this was true, he denied it and said that they always put the appropriate levels in based on whether they change the filter... who do you believe?<p>Chris
Old 06-17-1999, 09:36 AM
alan t.

Default Noooooooooo! All this is driving me nuts. I'm changing my own oil after first visiting my therapist. nt.

df
Old 06-17-1999, 10:05 AM
PJJ

Default how about this scenario....

let's say that the owner's manual capacity is actually correct BUT the dipstick design is actually flawed whereby it extends into the oil pan 1cm too far.<p>audi then has a decsion to make:<br>1) recall all A4s to have dipstick replaced (can you say major hassle and mucho $$), or<br>2) send out a TSB lowering capacity by 1/2 quart which, engineers determine, is within acceptable specs for engine and (guess what) SAVES audi money by lowing oil usage for an already free service!<p>"things that make you go hmmmmm...."
Old 06-17-1999, 11:29 AM
Aj

Default Re: How high is your oil level with the engine is COLD? Mine is about 1 cm above the top of the hash marks...too full?-nt

I got the oil filled around 1/2 cm above the mark on two services from two different dealers.
Old 06-17-1999, 12:04 PM
Paul N

Default My guess is that....(more)

Converting liters to quarts can be confusing. Do you convert it to a Quart used in Great Britian or a US quart? If I recall they are not the same. Perhaps the Germans converted it to the imperial quart not realizing the US is different.<p>Paul N
Old 06-17-1999, 12:25 PM
Chris L.

Default Nice try, but math doesn't work.

1 imperial quart = 40 oz<br>1 US quart = 32 oz<p>The ratio is off from the 4.3 to 3.7 qt change in the TSB (ie, 32 is 80% of 40 vs. 3.7 is 86% of 4.3).<p>Chris

Quick Reply: How high is your oil level with the engine is COLD? Mine is about 1 cm above the top of the hash marks...too full?-nt