A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

I was scammed by a fellow AudiWorld member for $1450. Please read this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 11:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was scammed by a fellow AudiWorld member for $1450. Please read this.

Let me warn you...this is going to be a long post. But in this post I am going to provide you with every last bit of information I have about the situation.

My intentions are threefold:
1) Get my money back
2) Educate all of you to prevent this from EVER happening here again
3) Solicit the help of anyone who is willing/able to offer information, advice or technical/professional services to bring a resolution to the situation.

NOTE: Throughout this message, I will be posting links to other related posts. These links will open in a new browser window for your convenience.

Here goes...
- On Wednesday, 6/19/02 at 10:52PM I received an e-mail from a person calling himself "Jules". His e-mail address is <a href="mailto:baggayute@yahoo.com">baggayute@yahoo. com</a> and he gave his phone number as 416-898-0001. In this message, he explained to me that he saw one of my posts on AudiWorld and was interested in learing more about the Oettinger REs I had for sale. Apparently, he had cracked one of his 18" Team Dynamics wheels and needed to replace them.

- I replied with all of the information he requested, and eventually we agreed to a price of $1450 US for the wheels and shipping to Toronto. "Jules" explained that he was "sick of being scammed by AW people (alot are out there) so can i send you payment in a way we both can be safe? Like a 'held-funds' check or a counter release check or a post dated one - just so that we are both happy."

Like the trusting soul that I am, I felt bad for him and agreed to those terms. Since he had cracked one of his wheels, he stressed his need to get the Oettingers in his hand as soon as possible.

- On 6/24/02, I dropped the wheels off at UPS and awaited the arrival of the check that he told me had been sent on 6/21/02. I e-mailed "Jules" all of the tracking information I had been provided by UPS. <a href="http://wwwapps.ups.com/etracking/tracking.cgi?tracknums_displayed=5&TypeOfInquiryNu mber=T&HTMLVersion=4.0&InquiryNumber1=42640210384& InquiryNumber2=&InquiryNumber3=&InquiryNumber4=&In quiryNumber5=&track=Track" target="_blank">Here</a> is a link to the tracking information at the UPS website.

At 3:06PM on 6/24/02 I received an e-mail from "Jules" asking if I had sent the wheels out. He told me that he had just gotten home from a business trip and didn't have the tracking number handy, but promised that he'd send it along when he found it.

This was the last e-mail I ever received from "Jules."

- The wheels were delivered on 6/27/02 at 10:27AM. They were signed for by a person with the last name of "Joseph." I sent "Jules" an e-mail asking him if he liked the wheels and asking him for an update on the check.

6/28/02 was the last day that I actually spoke (on the phone) with "Jules." He expressed his surprise and concern that the check hadn't arrived yet, and told me that he would look into it. He explained that his brother was supposed
to have sent it while he was out of town on business and that he would make sure that his brother had gotten it on its way.

That was the last time I heard from "Jules" either by phone or e-mail. I left repeated messages on his voicemail and have sent numerous e-mails, and none of them have been returned to date.

- On Saturday 6/29/02 I sent my final e-mail to "Jules." That same day, I contacted the Markham, Ontario police department ("Jules'" neighborhood police) to explain my situation. They were very helpful, but explained that I needed to file a complaint with my local police (Canonsburg, Pennsylvania - near Pittsburgh). I plan to file this complaint on Monday, 7/8/02.

- The following is information I was provided by "Jules"...
Address (allegedly his brother's address, since "Jules" was going to be out of town):
Julian Joseph
21 Wincanton Road
Markham, ON
L3S3H6 Canada

Phone number:
416-898-0001

- The following is information I was provided by the Markham Police:
There are 3 phone numbers registered to 21 Wincanton Road...
1) 905-940-1322 (disconnected, but registered to a J. Joseph)
2) 905-477-3345 (good number, but registered to a Y. Joseph. Every time I call it, I speak to a man who has never heard of a "Jules Joseph")
3) 905-305-6607 (disconnected, but registered to a I. Yam)

The 416-898-0001 phone number is most likely a cell phone.

- The recap:
1) I live in Canonsburg, PA (near Pittsburgh)
2) I sold my 18"x8"; Oettinger REs to a man in Markham, Ontario calling himself "Jules Joseph" for $1450 including shipping
3) The wheels were delivered on 6/27/02
4) To date, I have not received payment from "Jules"
5) Since 6/28, none of my e-mails or voicemails to "Jules" have been replied to
6) I am NOT his only victim. Click <a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1161621.phtml" target="_blank">here</a> for a story that sounds sickeningly similar (I can't believe I missed it).

- Here's where I need help:
1) Is there any way that I can determine "Jules" actual address via his cell phone number (416-898-0001) or e-mail address (<a href="mailto:baggayute@yahoo.com">baggayute@yahoo. com</a>)?
2) Aside from filing a complaint with my local police, is there anything else
I can do?
3) Do any fellow AudiWorlders know any law enforcement officials or other parties in the the Toronto, Ontario area who would be willing to help?

- Sorry for the length, and thanks in advance for any help you can give. Here is how you can get in touch with me:
1) e-mail: <a href="mailto:jbaraga@einsteinsolutions.com">jbarag a@einsteinsolutions.com</a>
2) AIM: jussnb
3) MSN Messenger: jbaraga@hotmail.com

- Parting thoughts...
1) I'm currently unemployed and needed the money from these wheels to offset the cost of another set I purchased. I want my money and I want to bring this slime bag to justice.
2) If you're conducting business online, seek a payment method that offers an equal amount of protection to the buyer AND the seller. And if either party is unwilling to accept those terms, SAY NO TO THE DEAL NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT SOUNDS. Reasonable people with nothing to hide are willing to cooperate. Scammers are not.
3) Don't let this incident ruin the way you feel about AudiWorld. I have seen this place do amazing things. Together we raised close to $1000 for disaster relief through the 9/11 T-shirts. We have even rallied together to help fellow members pay for cosly repairs that they otherwise couldn't have afforded. We challenge each other. We entertain each other. We anger each other. But we're a community and we can't let the bad guys win.

This is a great place to exchange information and do business. Just make sure you do it right.
Old 07-06-2002, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would

find what cell provider he has and see if you can get the billing information...that price over state lines (not to mention out of country) will bring in federal agents onto the case ...sorry bro I to know the pains of being unemployed right now...I even have to move out of the Audi Apt with the Bug cuz I can afford it any more ;-( if worse comes to worse Ill hunt him down and make him pay ;-P
Old 07-07-2002, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

wow, I hope everything works out for you
Old 07-07-2002, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I remember a previous post about this guy a week or so ago.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd come with you. Anyone else up for a recreational trip to Ontario?
Old 07-07-2002, 12:39 AM

thats lame, im so sorry man.......
Old 07-07-2002, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sucks big time, man. Tainting this community is not cool
Old 07-07-2002, 12:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that really sucks man,

hopefully you catch that dredge of society.
Old 07-07-2002, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Im down... I need a vacation.
Old 07-07-2002, 02:01 AM

Default Didn't you send money out to some guy name Big Nipples or something without knowing him..

something about rims or somethin'? =P At least I am trust worthy...

Quick Reply: I was scammed by a fellow AudiWorld member for $1450. Please read this.