A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HomeLink on S4? What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-1999, 11:51 AM
Jee

Default HomeLink on S4? What is it?

For some reason, I assumed the HomeLink system on the S4 was the navigation system. Then, last night, as I was reviewing the S4 brochure, the HomeLink system had next to it: "(universal transmitter)" If my memory serves me correct, the last time I sat in an A6, I saw three buttons near the vanity shade that were for memorizing garage door codes. I don't want to get into any detail what exactly a "universal transmitter" is but it sounds more like a self-learning garage door opener than a navigation system. An aside: Audi calls their navigation system, "Navigation Plus"<p>Now, IS HomeLink a garage door opener? That would seriously dampen some of the coolness in the S4 being that one expected a nav. system and got a garage door opener. So, if anyone knows what it is, please explain. I don't want three garage door openers, just a nice 5" LCD screen that'll at least differentiate the interior in an S4 a bit more from my A4.<p>Otherwise, that A6 4.2 that I got to see at the NY AutoShow looks awefully awefully NICE!
Old 04-07-1999, 11:58 AM
Jee

Default Never mind. Looked it up in archives and...

it's a garage door opener. bummer... Hope Audi offers the Nav. Plus in the NA S4.
Old 04-07-1999, 12:16 PM
Matt Daniels

Default Audi actually has two Nav systems

The "Navigation Plus" system is the one with the 5" screen in the dash, I don't think the US is going to be getting this anytime soon. The other system is just called Audi Navigation system which uses the trip computer display and voice commands, no map display. I believe that is the system that is suppose to come to the U.S. in the S4 and A6. <p>I do believe that the HomeLink system is just a fancy garage door opener, but it does have the ability to turn on lights in the house, etc, but it's not the Navigation system. I too thought that the HomeLink system was the name for the US Navigation system, until I saw the same thing on the A6. <p>Hopefully we will have more details soon.<p>Matt