A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Soft top window separation

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top window separation

I have a 2003 convertible and it has normal wear. I have owned it for almost 2 years now. I have started to notice some separation in the window to soft top. I always keep it in the garage and I do not wash the top when I do wash it and I haven't noticed any leaking. It seems to just be from the normal bending when the top folds down, but I'd like to seal this up. Does anyone else have this problem? What sort of products are recommended for this?
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi,
I used this to my car one year ago and is the best after trying different glues...

http://www.elotechnik.cz/files/produ.../0/1467915.jpg
Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rear Window seperation

I've noticed not only on my own car (04 A4 cab 1.8) but on multiple B6 platform a4 cab's in the greater Houston area have a similar problem, its more prone to occur when the cars left in a hot environment for a long period of time as the glue will loose its elasticity and strength. My personal Fix was to use some clear Silicone Sealer from a local home depot or lowes department store, this cost's usually between 13 to 16 $$$.

scrape off the old glue with the same sore of edge you'd use to remove stickers on a window, once that's been cleared, take a inflatable mattress, ( got one from target for 14$) and put that in a position so that the mattress when inflated can push the rear window outward, if this is not done the sealer will cure at a poor position. if this happens the rear window will move back and forth while driving which will wear on the sealer causing it to break apart. When that happens you may notice wet spots appearing near the window on the fabric around it.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

preferably do this with a friend or helper, as the mattress slowly is inflated, have the silicone sealer applied much in the same way the scraped off glue was, along the windows edge, preferably where it can stick to the inner lip of the top. make sure the mattress does not over inflate as this can cause damage to the top and make repairing the rear window nigh impossible.

When the silicone sealer has been applied all around the window, allow the car at least 3 days to sit without moving , preferably 7 days in a garage. but if it's your only car you'll need to get to work somehow. after another 2 days feel free to take a box cutter or exacto knife and trim off excess silicone sealer at an angle, keeping mind to keep a distance between the blade and the fabric of the top as even slightly cutting into it can permanently ruin the top. if done with a steady hand and in line with instructions you can minimize any non appealing looks to the repair and you'll be left with a near professional fix that wont be noticed by most.

The total repair takes 9-10 days and can be a permanent fix if done properly and would only cost you around 40$ for the sealer mattress and a way to apply the sealer.
The best alternative long term solution is to buy a new top ( $3,000) from audi.
It's also possible to find a custom mechanic who can fabricate a folding metal top replacement for the roof , how ever this would be more expensive and would likely deplete available space in the trunk
Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

There was a looooong thread on this topic several years ago. It's a chronic problem with the B6 Cabriolet. Some of the solutions which seemed effective in that thread used magnets arranged together inside and outside to secure the top fabric and glass in position during the drying phase. They also favored strong glues to provide the bond between glass and fabric. A search can probably drag up that thread. When the separation happened on my Cabriolet, after nearly eight years of ownership, my local Audi dealer fixed it for around $150. I don't know how long the fix would have lasted, because I traded that car in a couple of months later for a new B8 A4 sedan.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I fixed my 2012 A5 this weekend with Flexseal (yes, as seen on TV).

Originally Posted by _hoosiergirl
I have a 2003 convertible and it has normal wear. I have owned it for almost 2 years now. I have started to notice some separation in the window to soft top. I always keep it in the garage and I do not wash the top when I do wash it and I haven't noticed any leaking. It seems to just be from the normal bending when the top folds down, but I'd like to seal this up. Does anyone else have this problem? What sort of products are recommended for this?
Thanks!
I just posed the video on Youtube. Still some rough edges to polish off but gives you an idea. And better than spending $5K for a new roof.

Good luck!