A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

CVT Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT Failure

Hi all,

This week, after 20,000 miles, my transmission failed. The car still drove, however there was a terrible whining sound when accellerating, and a grinding sound when coasting or decellerating. I had to have it towed with 24hr roadside assistance who were appauling - pray you never need that service. The only way I could get real assistance was to call Audi America and complain about 24hr roadside assistance. Anyway, the transmission is being replaced under warrenty, and Audi say this is very rare, however I want to know if anyone else has had the same problem.

Cheers

icngacsn
Old 10-24-2004, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oh my CVT failed a long time ago
Old 10-24-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: oh my CVT failed a long time ago

So has the new one failed? Are the replacement CVTs any different? Why have you decided to keep the car?

What I'm really trying to find out is whether this is going to keep happening to my car and thus whether I should sell it to avoid further hassel.

icngacsn
Old 10-24-2004, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default was a bit of sarcasm

my CVT hasnt completely failed like yours, it just doesnt work well and bucks and chuges, i am wating back on the dealer as to what the plans are. Search the forum as cvt issues have sprung up alot here.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: CVT Failure

I had mine replaced at 14k , same problem as Honkie's where it would tend to over rev and lurch forwards in slow moving traffic.

Now done 43k and no problems with the second CVT as yet.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:46 AM

Thanks mkmark. Do you, or does anyone else know if the newer CVTs are any different to the older ones? I think mine also suffered from the 'lurching' people describe here, as well as sometimes doing 'kangaroo jumps' if I selected a gear too fast after starting. I'm hoping Audi fixed soimething in the older ones that will justify me keeping the car. My dealer says they changed the fluids but that does not seem like enough to me...
Old 10-25-2004, 05:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To be honest I don't know if they introduced any changes, but I guess a leading edge piece of transmission technology such as the CVT will have its problems, especially as it was introduced at the same time as the cab.

I am also on my third steering rack and this has been OK for the past year now !
Old 10-25-2004, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default still waiting on my new CVT..

one thing for sure, i will never buy a CVT or an auto again.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: CVT dealer replaced

My wifes 3.0 cab had the CVT replaced at 14k and all is well now. It still has a bit of hesitation when you accelerate but I can live with that. We where lucky that the cpu kept the tranny code in it for the dealer to find our I fear we would not have had a new one installed. I took the service manager around the block when we first got the car and it would not "lurch or burp" on stops, but when he ran the diagnostics and found the code, Audi told them to replace the entire CVT and all is well. Good luck, he told me that he had 2 demos that had the same issues but could not get them fixed because customers came first.
chris
Old 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm having my dealer look at my CVT tomorrow.

I think it has similar symptoms as your old one. The acceleration is unpredictable in stop and go traffic, at slow parking lot speeds, and while at a running stop. It's just not a very smooth ride. Only time the CVT works awesome and smoothly is while at highways speeds, when the CVT has incredible passing acceleration.

I have a 2003 CVT sedan, but I'm sure there's not really a big difference between the sedan version and the cab version. I don't know why Audi can never get transmission right. Even the loaner car I have tonight (which is not CVT) has some slight burst of acceleration if I don't baby foot the throttle precisely. But it's not as bad as my CVT.

Quick Reply: CVT Failure