A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Used A4 shopping hints for retiree

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used A4 shopping hints for retiree

My frugal habit is to pay cash for a three year old car--let the other guy take the big depreciation--keep it four years, and sell the old one myself after I've found the right replacement. After enjoying a Passat and feeling the pain of repairing a BMW 5 series, I sold it when my independent BMW mechanic moved away and fled to the safety of Accords, on which I spent only for oil changes, tires and brakes during the four years I've owned them. Long story short, I like German driving dynamics and Japanese reliability. And I'm tired of being sensible all the time. At 71, how many more cars will I own? I'm drawn to the 2017 A4 sedan. It seems to have the right combination of mature good looks, comfort, quietness and agility I would really enjoy for the next four years. But I have questions:

1. I see very few 2017 quattros for sale in the used market, virtually none at all nearby. Never having owned awd, I've done fine heading over dirt roads to Ozark hiking trails or floating rivers with fwd. With no basis for comparison, wouldn't the front driver serve my purposes? There are some pretty good deals out there.

2. The nearest Audi dealer is 100 miles away. I generally trust my luck with local mechanics and avoid dealerships at all costs, but I've been told that a certified A4 extends the warranty. But if that warranty is only available through the dealer, what good does that do me? I'm single and have only one car. Long distance service and/or long periods in the shop aren't appealing.

3. The trim levels confuse the heck out of me. I appreciate safety technology--blind in right eye--and for that reason would really appreciate blind spot monitoring. Otherwise, my frugality suggests I don't need technology that would require a subscription or be expensive to fix. That being so, what trim level and/or optional packages might best fit my needs?

Any advice or opinions gratefully accepted.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 Premium Plus, I'm a bit older than you, and it fills my needs just fine. You don't "need" ANY type of subscription services to be satisfied IMO. In your case, I'd be a little concerned about getting service should the need a rise (100 miles away)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what you listed, I think the FWD would serve you perfectly fine. In fact, it serves tons of people just fine. Save on the price and enjoy better fuel economy.
Be sure whatever you get has the warranty. After four or five years, things often start happening with most German cars.
I wouldn't worry too much about the distance from a dealer. I'd suspect you would be offered loaner cars for any major work that takes time.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2017 A4 is an excellent car. But don't rule out the 2018's, either, since they are basically identical. Yes, FWD is likely fine, though I own the quattro myself. As for trim packages - they are all very nice, even the basic 'Premium' level. Just make sure that whatever you get has the safety equipment that you want.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Voelker (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
From what you listed, I think the FWD would serve you perfectly fine. In fact, it serves tons of people just fine. Save on the price and enjoy better fuel economy.
Be sure whatever you get has the warranty. After four or five years, things often start happening with most German cars.
I wouldn't worry too much about the distance from a dealer. I'd suspect you would be offered loaner cars for any major work that takes time.
Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.
+1. OP -- you have had the German car experience so you know first hand what can happen with Audi/Mercedes/BMW post warranty expiration. I suspect I need say no more about this. And FWIW, the CPO warranty is not going to be that helpful to you inasmuch as if you acquire a 3 year old A4, the CPO is only going to get you through 5 years from in service date -- in other words, all you will have is 2 years of warranty coverage. Assuming you are going to keep the car significantly longer than 2 years suggest you look into Audi branded extended warranty that can get you covered for much longer than the CPO coverage. I sent you a PM regarding some information I can share with you via email that may be of interest.

Best,
Jeff

Old 05-07-2020, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
+1. OP -- you have had the German car experience so you know first hand what can happen with Audi/Mercedes/BMW post warranty expiration. I suspect I need say no more about this. And FWIW, the CPO warranty is not going to be that helpful to you inasmuch as if you acquire a 3 year old A4, the CPO is only going to get you through 5 years from in service date -- in other words, all you will have is 2 years of warranty coverage. Assuming you are going to keep the car significantly longer than 2 years suggest you look into Audi branded extended warranty that can get you covered for much longer than the CPO coverage. I sent you a PM regarding some information I can share with you via email that may be of interest.

Best,
Jeff
Those are all good points, I'm glad you added to it.
I will say though, from my experience, nearly all extended warranties offered at the time of a car sale are overpriced. It is when your warranty ends, Audi and others will approach you with warranty offers. Those prices are almost always lower, as well as negotiable. So I would hold off an paying for an extended warranty until yours expires.