A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

US Steering Wheel Options on new B9

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default US Steering Wheel Options on new B9

Hi, All. Long-time BMW enthusiast and Bimmerfest member, seriously eyeing the 2017 A4's to replace my 2013 328i xDrive in June.

I've been studying the 2017 order guide, as well as the configurator on AudiUSA, and am questioning the availability of either the flat-bottom steering wheel, or the one with the chrome-plated bottom spoke, as demonstrated in so many of the Euro-spec variants. Am I to assume that these aren't available in the US, or perhaps that production will be delayed on these options?

Also, I was having trouble verifying whether the 19" RS style rims pictured in the order guide are the same 19" rims listed as an option? Looks like the 19" wheels on Audi's configurator are a actually a different multi-spoke design.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew
Old 01-10-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The flat bottom steering wheel is currently only available as part of the First Edition package. It might be added later as part of an S Line Plus package or similar but that's pure speculation from my side. The good thing though is that it should be a plug and play upgrade if someone is willing the spend several hundred dollars for that because any dealer should be able to source the flat bottom steering wheel and install it and most likely the old airbag will fit.

In Germany only the Sport models have the steering wheel with round airbag, the Design models include the chrome spoke steering wheel, the base package has a black spoke steering wheel. If the online configurator on AudiUSA is correct then all US models will have the round airbag. Retrofitting either of the other steering wheels will be more difficult since a new airbag needs to be sourced also and US dealers will likely not the able to order them.

None of the US dealers that I spoke with had an order guide with pictures. The online configurator was the first source giving clues about what we are actually getting. The pdf posted for Canada has pictures and the 19" wheels that are part of the S-line package do not seem to be available in the US at this time. There is a chance that they are the same as the ones that were included in the B8 S Line Competition package, if true sourcing them in the US should be easier.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good insights, thank you. As an aside...I happened to notice the bottom chrome-spoked steering wheel on the new Q7 commercial on TV last night. It would be nice to see it make its way to the A4 Stateside.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewInMO
Good insights, thank you. As an aside...I happened to notice the bottom chrome-spoked steering wheel on the new Q7 commercial on TV last night. It would be nice to see it make its way to the A4 Stateside.
The sport three spoke steering wheel is standard in the US, so you won't get the Alu bottom spoke on the steering wheel.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would prefer the all Black Steering wheel. The chrome is dangerous. It can reflect too much light and blind you if the sun hits on it. That's why I had to change my allroad Chrome console to black carbon fiber, because it was reflecting too much light in my eyes in certain angles of afternoon sunlight. The chrome's reflection on your eyes is very distracting. I think it should be banned. 2 Days ago, we just had 147 vehicles in a pile up accident, and the main cause was that the angle of the sun was blinding on the 40/85 freeway, causing the huge accident. PLEASE: DO NOT GET ANY CHROME TRIMMING. You are risking your life.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
I would prefer the all Black Steering wheel. The chrome is dangerous. It can reflect too much light and blind you if the sun hits on it. That's why I had to change my allroad Chrome console to black carbon fiber, because it was reflecting too much light in my eyes in certain angles of afternoon sunlight. The chrome's reflection on your eyes is very distracting. I think it should be banned. 2 Days ago, we just had 147 vehicles in a pile up accident, and the main cause was that the angle of the sun was blinding on the 40/85 freeway, causing the huge accident. PLEASE: DO NOT GET ANY CHROME TRIMMING. You are risking your life.
Just to add to ayap's post above, please do not buy any vehicle with exterior chrome finishes like wheels, side mirrors and bumpers. The sun reflects a lot of light from these shiny finishes and distracts everyone around you. Almost got into an accident because someone's shiny truck bumpers reflected sunlight directly into my eyes while driving one day. Very dangerous.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Just to add to ayap's post above, please do not buy any vehicle with exterior chrome finishes like wheels, side mirrors and bumpers. The sun reflects a lot of light from these shiny finishes and distracts everyone around you. Almost got into an accident because someone's shiny truck bumpers reflected sunlight directly into my eyes while driving one day. Very dangerous.
LOL. Contact NHTSA and see what they say about this.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
This is a joke, right?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
This is a joke, right?
Nope. Chrome should be banned!