A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Switching traffic from Audi Connect to SiriusXM (again)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Switching traffic from Audi Connect to SiriusXM (again)

Dealer changed the coding so that my GPS traffic feed came from SiriusXM from Audi Connect after the free trial ended. Worked fine for 2 1/2 years with the $4/month Traffic subscription and then I changed my SiriusXM subscription to a free trial for music, canceled that subscription and asked to keep Traffic. Traffic stopped working.

Asked for Traffic and got Traffic Plus Travel Link. That didn't work. Asked to change to Traffic and got Traffic Plus. Just changed to Traffic and that doesn't work. SiriusXM has been difficult to work with (obviously) and told me to take the car to the dealership.

I'm wondering what got messed up with the change in subscriptions. Like I said, worked fine for 2 1/2 years. I've had the refresh signal sent a dozen times and rebooted the MMI.

Any ideas? I'm in the USA. Thanks a ton.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

This is just a hunch, but it's most likely because of a system update on their end. Your radio is listed as not supporting traffic in their system, and while in the past if you talked to the right rep they could still activate traffic, the current system might simply not activate it anymore unless the radio officially supports traffic. This is the issue with unsupported configurations and features. Nobody tests for this when they update their systems. While it might have worked in the past, there is no guarantee that it keeps working. Your setup was probably grandfathered in, but because you changed the subscription it went through a fresh activation and the system may have simply blocked the traffic service activation, because it thought the radio doesn't support it.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

A pretty darn good guess. Would explain why all the traffic signals aren't working. I noticed that SiriusXM Traffic (no Plus or anything) isn't listed as an available service on SiruisXMs website now.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, so I got to support from the US SiriusXM office. One tech believes the signal being sent to my car is the wrong one since their database shows my car as incompatible with SiriusXM Traffic. Stay tuned (no pun intended).
Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Street
Okay, so I got to support from the US SiriusXM office. One tech believes the signal being sent to my car is the wrong one since their database shows my car as incompatible with SiriusXM Traffic. Stay tuned (no pun intended).
Yep, essentially what I suspected. If the tech is willing to help you and figure it out, then you might get it working again.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone in Canada have the traffic showing on their MMI?

Does xm do traffic only?
Old 08-17-2021, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Any update?
Old 08-23-2021, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

So the latest from "Engineering" at SiriusXM is that I must have been getting traffic through Audi Connect, not them. My MMI is incompatible with Sirius Traffic and they don't care what programming was done.. They have washed their hands of me.

I sent them a copy of the service bill showing the Audi dealer's work and comments. And I never got billed for Audi Connect.

It's a mystery what service I was getting from Sirius for the 2 plus years I got traffic. But on that subject, there were lane closures on the interstate on my trip home last night. I have traffic on my other car and I took the recommended detour. Turned out to be through a narrow mountain pass that included gravel roads. I think I'll just do without traffic for a while.

Old 08-23-2021, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So the latest from "Engineering" at SiriusXM is that I must have been getting traffic through Audi Connect, not them. My MMI is incompatible with Sirius Traffic and they don't care what programming was done.. They have washed their hands of me.

I sent them a copy of the service bill showing the Audi dealer's work and comments. And I never got billed for Audi Connect.

It's a mystery what service I was getting from Sirius for the 2 plus years I got traffic. But on that subject, there were lane closures on the interstate on my trip home last night. I have traffic on my other car and I took the recommended detour. Turned out to be through a narrow mountain pass that included gravel roads. I think I'll just do without traffic for a while.
FWIW, most navigation systems have a setting to avoid certain roads such as unpaved roads. Make sure your route settings are the way you want them to be, so you don't get re-routed over gravel roads.