A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Sport suspension in snow

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sport suspension in snow

Does anyone with the sport suspension have any significant experience in snow driving? I am coming from a Subaru legacy GT w 5.9 inches of clearance and intentionally never dropped it because I ski and drive through deeper snow at times. I think the standard A4 is a touch lower than this but wasn't able to easily find the actual ride height numbers. With the 23mm drop , has the sport package made this more of an issue? I have only driven the sport and love the handling so don't want to lose that but don't want to get stuck in a poorly plowed ski area lot either.

Also I could care less about the asthetics of a dropped car, so given that does the sport suspension add enough performance to care?
Old 08-25-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This has been my concern as well. Living in Edmonton, we get lots of snow so I never wanted the dropped height to begin with, but I like the S-Line package. Apparently if you add the adaptive suspension, instead of -23mm, it is -11mm.

However, I don't know what the height is to begin with. Anyone have that info?
Old 08-25-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Unless you're driving in frozen ruts or in exceptionally heavy/wet snow that then freezes into ice, you're going to be able to clear the exact same snow depth as the non-sport A4. Your front bumper will push that extra top inch of the fluffy stuff out of the way like a plow, and even then you'd have to be the first car that low out of the parking lot to have to do that...there will probably be a suped-up Impreza that beats you to it.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agree for the most part, but I did rip the engine undercover off a Subie in iced over parking lot snow in the past and that was with more clearance .
Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

As another part of this question, how much performance (not appearance) is gained by the sport suspension?
Old 08-26-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawkins20
As another part of this question, how much performance (not appearance) is gained by the sport suspension?
It adds about 2 litres of performance...

On a serious note, it's really hard to tell and better tried out yourself. Just test drive both.
I tested both and the non sport suspension was just too soft with the car being too loose in corners for my taste.
I came from a mustang with an Eibach sport suspension which was a lot stiffer then even the Audi S-Line suspension.
Last but not least in terms of looks, even if the ride high were the same the S-Line package looks a lot better then the regular one plus you get the nicer steering wheel, sport seats (which also help with more spirited driving) and access to the only pearl colour.

Last edited by KBeagle; 08-26-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:28 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Apparently if you add the adaptive suspension, instead of -23mm, it is -11mm.
Is that still true in 2018? My understanding (from this forum) is that 2017 only offered the 'comfort' adaptive suspension in North America, while in 2018 they switched to the 'sport' adaptive suspension. The sport one... might be lower.

(It's worth noting that I believe in the early years of the B8, the adaptive suspension was as low as the sport one...)
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KBeagle
It adds about 2 litres of performance...

On a serious note, it's really hard to tell and better tried out yourself. Just test drive both.
I tested both and the non sport suspension was just too soft with the car being too loose in corners for my taste.
I came from a mustang with an Eibach sport suspension which was a lot stiffer then even the Audi S-Line suspension.
Last but not least in terms of looks, even if the ride high were the same the S-Line package looks a lot better then the regular one plus you get the nicer steering wheel, sport seats (which also help with more spirited driving) and access to the only pearl colour.
In the US the Prem+ and above trims have the S line body goodies sport package or not. The DSG auto sport package only gets the seats and the black headliner in addition to suspension. Unfortunately w the wife I can't get the 6MT, which sucks since there is a beautiful Daytona Grey sport plus at my local dealer
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dawkins20
On my test drives I found it to be minor. I also found the sport seats that get added (as part of the package that includes that suspension in the US) were not an especially noticeable upgrade either.

I suggest you go for a very spirited back to back test drive of both for yourself. Try to take the same corners at the same speed and see how each feels. Make sure your drive select is set to Dynamic in both cars.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a 2009 and 2012 A4 with sports suspension. They came with summer tires which were great. I bought winter wheels and performance winter tires which were also great. I had a 2017 A4 loaner a few weeks ago and thought the suspension was firm and the higher height was comfortable.

All season tires are marginal in the snow and are worse each winter. Get winter tires and save our OEM tires for warn weather.