A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Presense/distance warning restricted/unavailable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Presense/distance warning restricted/unavailable?

Have had a 2017 A4 allroad for just one month now. Yesterday while driving out of my work parking garage, had an error pop up on the VC display:

"Audi Pre sense currently restricted; see owner's manual" followed by "Distance warning currently unavailable; see owner's manual"

Drove the car home and on the way the messages disappeared. Drove car this morning without issue until pulling into parking garage and both messages reappeared. Was a bit concerned as planning to go on a long road trip this weekend. Spoke to local Audi service center who said it could be a host of things but probably just a reflection that confused system temporarily (he made it sound as if a fairly common problem). Shouldn't affect car for road trip but to bring in after weekend if keeps happening.

Curious if this is something other people have experienced? A search on this and other forums doesn't reveal a lot (a bit unexpected if truly a common issue). It is weird that it's happened twice in a garage but I've also been parking in this garage the last month without issues until now. Not sure yet if it will reset to normal again later today...
The following users liked this post:
huipt (05-31-2021)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 245 Likes on 189 Posts

I get those warning regularly but not frequently. The causes mentioned in the manual never apply but in many cases it looks like the sun is at a certain angle and blinds the camera temporarily. If something is really wrong a fault would be stored and you could get OBDeleven or similar to read out the faults, if there are any. The dealer will likely not tell you if there faults unless they can fix it via TSB and charge Audi for the labor.
The following users liked this post:
huipt (05-31-2021)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I get those warning regularly but not frequently. The causes mentioned in the manual never apply but in many cases it looks like the sun is at a certain angle and blinds the camera temporarily. If something is really wrong a fault would be stored and you could get OBDeleven or similar to read out the faults, if there are any. The dealer will likely not tell you if there faults unless they can fix it via TSB and charge Audi for the labor.
Thanks so much for your input. I went the whole road trip driving 14+ hours over varied terrain/weather/sunlight without any warnings. Then got back into the work garage this morning and the error reappeared. So it does seem like something related to the environment. Will probably just have them check the system whenever I go to dealer for routine maintenance to be totally certain (don't have OBDeleven)...
Old 05-30-2017, 05:08 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Is the parking garage underground? Or covered?

I've gotten the 'traffic sign recognition restricted' message LOTS of times in underground parking garages...

Especially given it seems to only happen in the same place, I don't think this is anything to worry about - something about that environment is confusing the cameras.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VM
Is the parking garage underground? Or covered?

I've gotten the 'traffic sign recognition restricted' message LOTS of times in underground parking garages...

Especially given it seems to only happen in the same place, I don't think this is anything to worry about - something about that environment is confusing the cameras.
It's a very large above ground garage. Given its size, it's essentially similar to an underground garage given that there is very limited natural light coming in. Does seem like it's an environmental thing (although didn't happen today in the garage for whatever reason)...
Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Audiworld, new to the group, found this thread and was wondering if you all could provide some wisdom and insight into my specific situation. I currently own a 2017 audi allroad. I purchased in July (7 months approx ago). The vehicle only has 2300 miles on it. I love this vehicle. Over the weekend I went skiing with the family and parked in a large snow filled parking lot. When I returned 8 hours later the snow filled parking lot melted and was now a thick, slippery muddy bowl. I knew I would be stuck. The mud was too wet, too thick and it didn’t look good. But I had an allroad so I gave it a go.
I switched to off-road mode, put it in drive and floored it forward - all 4 wheels were spinning as fast as they could, mud was spitting out all over the place. I was gaining very little ground, I then slammed the car into reverse and floored it backwards again all 4 wheels spinning - full power, mud everywhere, I kept doing this back and forth with full power and was slowly moving out of the mud which by the way was not that deep.
All of a sudden, I lost power, the engine shut down, a transmission error appeared on the dash and I was certain something was really wrong but then after about 30 seconds the car fired up and I continued the back and forth full throttle routine until I made it out of the mud parking lot. Victory ! I then switched to dynamic / sport mode for the concrete highway and drove home about 75 miles without any problems or noises. The car has performed perfectly since this happened (48 hours ago). The only visible possible problem is that when I switch to off-road mode, I get the following indicator message on the dash board:
“Audi pre-sense: currently restricted”. I am bringing the vehicle in tomorrow morning.
This is probably a computer issue ?
I am concerned about the transmission error I got when I was stuck in the mud?
i had the vehicle thoroughly cleaned top and bottom but I still notice a lot of mud underneath ?
Again, this was a low level of mud. But thick and wet. I was proud of the allroad but concerned with the error messages and why the vehicles shut down.
The vehicle seems to be performing perfectly. My allroad is very new with only 2300 miles.
And ideas ? Wisdom?
Thanks in advance for your help.
All my best
Old 02-20-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just started getting the pre sense sensor failure icon on the bottom of the instrument cluster on start up and it's come on a couple times while driving. Checked for obstructions and there are none. One of the dealer's service advisor's personal car is an '18 A4 and she's getting the same errors. Today while driving in falling snow, the left front sensor keeps getting triggered.

The number of problems I've experienced with all the gadgets is disappointing. Surprised there isn't a sticky about all the computer problems on this forum.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by victoras
It's a very large above ground garage. Given its size, it's essentially similar to an underground garage given that there is very limited natural light coming in. Does seem like it's an environmental thing (although didn't happen today in the garage for whatever reason)...
Did you ever resolve the issue? I’m having the same exact issue you describe with a new 2019 A4 and would love to know whether there was a solution. Thanks